Starting Over - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Starting Over

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting Over

Postby bryanspellman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:38 pm

Huge baseball fan with son who wants to start collecting baseball cards (and football in winter).

Last time I collected cards, Thurman Munson was catching and we just won our 1st WS in 12 years....

Walked into Mall Store and had to step back....

Between prices and selection what would you all recommend for a dad and son to collect and enjoy, maybe a uniform card or special insert once in a while but mainly nice looking cards with rookies and a fair representation of the players...

Thanks
bryanspellman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby the ROC » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 pm

stick with topps, donruss, fleer, etc. the big brands. they are generally worth more and are higher quality.

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby spartybasketball » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:17 pm

I am a huge collector. BTW fleer and donruss are out of buisness. I like Upper Deck alot but ROC is right stick with the big brand cards. For ex: I have a Duke auto rookie the card is Star brand :~( . Not a well known brand most DUKE AUTO'S SELL FOR 150. While mine sells for in unimpressive 20 dollars. :-t
spartybasketball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:28 pm

I actually just started up again myself so my knowledge is somewhat limited...I tend to think the best rule of thumb nowdays is to not buy individual packs as much as a sealed box at a time. Is that more expensive? Most likely. Boxes range anywhere from $40 to insane prices above $500...my limit is usually around $150 if I'm in the money.

As far as what to buy - your best bet as stated is to stick with the known names like Upper Deck, Topps, Fleer and Donruss - from there it's rough. From there, maybe you should check out the websites for those companies to find more info on the sets...stuff like odds of autograph and memoribilla cards per box etc...

The website I buy from has that info on it - I'd gladly post it here if you want...but I don't want to seem like I'm spamming, because I'm not.

The main set I've bought from so far is Upper Deck Artifacts 2005 - might be more then you want to spend - or maybe not, I think it was $80 + Shipping. Of the 3 boxes I bought of it (over a period of time) I ended up with a one of a kind Bobby Crosby autograph memoribilla card, a 1/32 (I think 32...maybe 37..) Nolan Ryan Autograph Memoribilla card..on average I ended up with 3 Memoribilla cards and 2 autograph cards - per a box which is nice since the box has 10 packs.

**As far as Fleer is concerned...technically they still exist because Upper Deck bought either the company or the name, in any case I preordered a box of the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game...otherwise I never would have known that...

Sorry if that's not a lot of info - if you'd like the web address for the site that I buy from (which from what I can tell has decent prices and a very high yahoo star ranking) I can post it or send it along)
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Didn't Topps and UD both start putting out a .99 per pack ultra basic set o like 600-700 cards a few years back to try to get kids back? Do they still make them? I'd look for those if I was collecting with a son.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby j24jags » Thu May 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Smileyman9 wrote:I actually just started up again myself so my knowledge is somewhat limited...I tend to think the best rule of thumb nowdays is to not buy individual packs as much as a sealed box at a time. Is that more expensive? Most likely. Boxes range anywhere from $40 to insane prices above $500...my limit is usually around $150 if I'm in the money.

As far as what to buy - your best bet as stated is to stick with the known names like Upper Deck, Topps, Fleer and Donruss - from there it's rough. From there, maybe you should check out the websites for those companies to find more info on the sets...stuff like odds of autograph and memoribilla cards per box etc...

The website I buy from has that info on it - I'd gladly post it here if you want...but I don't want to seem like I'm spamming, because I'm not.

The main set I've bought from so far is Upper Deck Artifacts 2005 - might be more then you want to spend - or maybe not, I think it was $80 + Shipping. Of the 3 boxes I bought of it (over a period of time) I ended up with a one of a kind Bobby Crosby autograph memoribilla card, a 1/32 (I think 32...maybe 37..) Nolan Ryan Autograph Memoribilla card..on average I ended up with 3 Memoribilla cards and 2 autograph cards - per a box which is nice since the box has 10 packs.

**As far as Fleer is concerned...technically they still exist because Upper Deck bought either the company or the name, in any case I preordered a box of the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game...otherwise I never would have known that...

Sorry if that's not a lot of info - if you'd like the web address for the site that I buy from (which from what I can tell has decent prices and a very high yahoo star ranking) I can post it or send it along)

great info, can u post the site?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:43 pm

It's http://www.dcssportscards.com/ I'm not sure if posting links like that goes against the cafe's policy or not - if so mod's obviously feel free to delete this.

I do see that Artifacts 06' is coming out soon...it's $88 on the site right now for pre-order....I will give you a word to the wise, in another post I discussed how I bought a box of the Fleer Legends of the game box for $140 preorder from there (thinking it a good price)....yeah, the price is now $99 - so with that said, never EVER be in a rush when a set first comes out to buy it...(unless of course it's a limited edition set) -
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri May 19, 2006 1:15 am

Smileyman9 wrote:It's http://www.dcssportscards.com/ I'm not sure if posting links like that goes against the cafe's policy or not - if so mod's obviously feel free to delete this.

We'll let it go in this case, but should anyone be interested in buying cards online, also check out this page:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/baseball_cards.php

If you use our links and purchase something, it helps keep the Cafe' free. Not asking you to buy anything, or suggesting you should, but if you find a good deal on any of those sites, then it works for both sides. :-) Can't hurt to look, right? :-) Thanks! ;-D

Oh, and Pablo, as far as I know, you are correct. I know I've seen Upper Deck packs at .99 cents recently, and I remember seeing a .99 cent pack of Topps either last year, or the year before. Nice move to help keep something out there for the kids to collect without blowing mommy and daddy's budget. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Smileyman9 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Ah. Thanks for the cafe link page I'll make sure to check it out (I'm still in need of a good thick 150+ pt card holder - hopefully the one site on there will help me out)
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jzfran » Tue May 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Stick with the normal looking 1.99 packs. The original Topps, etc. These are good, with some inserts and usually a rookie in every pack. The other stuff is mostly super expensive garbage wiht a lightly higher probabiity of an insert.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia