Craig Hansen and Joey Devine? Better Future Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Craig Hansen and Joey Devine? Better Future Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Craig Hansen and Joey Devine? Better Future Closer?

Postby Melo255 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:20 pm

I'm assuming both Craig Hansen and Joey Devine will likely close in 2007 and both have a chance to close in the 2nd half of this year. With both Devine and Hansen going back to the minors for the time being I was wondering what future projections are for both of these guys? I know Devine has speeded through the system but I didn't think he was a big prospect while I thought Hansen could have been a top 5 pick in the draft if he wasn't represented by Boras.Thanks for any information. I see them as pretty similar but I don't pretend to know a lot about them. Thank you for any information on either of them.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Hansen has a mid 90's fastball with great location. A high 80s slider with great movement, and a decent changeup. The only reason he was sent to triple A after a dominating spring was because the Red Sox wanted him to learn when to incorporate his slider and change up. They feel that he is uses his fastball too much. He should be a top fantasy closer in 2007 and 2008.

Devine has a low to mid 90s fastball and a good slider. He has had some command issues. If he works those out he should become a good closer.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby scr » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 am

Any updates on Hansen? Is it possible he'll get the call this year?
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BoilerATC » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:59 am

Looking a little further down the road, does anyone see Santiago Casilla or Kevin Whealan as a top closer?
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:17 am

BoilerATC wrote:Looking a little further down the road, does anyone see Santiago Casilla or Kevin Whealan as a top closer?
Whelan has some serious potential. He's been pretty dominant in the minors thus far and the converted catcher may be seeing AA by the all-star break. There is some thought that Zumaya may be ultimately groomed as the team's closer, but they should really give Whelan a look. This guy has some nasty stuff.

I don't know much about the former Jairo Garcia really except that he can throw really hard. Maybe someone else know something?

Edit: I hate when I make typos
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SkeetNation » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 pm

If Papelbon continues on his current tear its going to be hard to move him out of the close role and move Hansen in. I know what he has done in ST and in the minor, but moving out a (possibly by that time) proven commodity for a minor league stud seems IMO unnecessarily risky.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Boston would be crazy to move Papelbon out of the closr spot..that WOULD BE NUTS!
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby checkers » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:11 pm

USAToday.com reports Boston Red Sox RP Craig Hansen was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket from Double-A.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Minor League & College Baseball