J. Upton moving to CF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

J. Upton moving to CF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J. Upton moving to CF

Postby warrick95 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:26 am

Justin Upton - SS - Diamondbacks

After originally saying they'd develop him as a shortstop, the Diamondbacks have decided to move Justin Upton to center field.
"I just think we all put our heads together and felt like it was best to do it right now," GM Josh Byrnes said. "We think this is the best thing for him. This could allow him to advance at a faster pace." Upton had the range to stay at shortstop, but the D'Backs are right that this is likely to get him to the majors faster, even if Chris Young should be entrenched by the time Upton is ready. Before Upton heads to center field, he's expected to miss the first two weeks of the minor league season with a left shoulder injury. Apr. 4 - 12:01 am et
Source: Diamondbacks.mlb.com

And this is a horrible decision. Let him play where he's played his entire life. Move him later on if he ends up needing it, which he shouldn't. The thing is, they're already loaded at OF, so it really makes little sense at all to rush the decision this quickly. I thought the best solution would be to eventually move Drew to 2B, but only when Upton actually comes up at SS.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jenkins » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:55 am

I thought they would move Drew to 2B as well. However, look at his brother. BJ might be a lot better off if they would have moved him when he first started off in the minors.

As an owner, I would love to see him at SS, but I would rather them take the safe road and let him play OF then take a chance on him ending up just like BJ.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yankees227 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Look moving pos. is no big deal b/c ever big player came up as a shortstop! Because in an baseball setting before professional your best player always play SS thats how it is.
Yankees227
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Drew us a good short stop. By moving Upton to center field they can let him concentrate on devolping his bat instead of having to play a harder defensive position. As an Upton Owner i am happy enough because this means Upton's bat should be in my major league lineup quicker (of course i do have Peralta at short). In the long run this hurts his value (slightly), but it also means that he will be crushing big league pitching that much quicker.

There was no way he would force Drew off short anyway. When super stars play position (as Drew should become) they rarely move for rookies no matter how good they are unless they are at the end of thier career. Upton was going to move no matter what.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: J. Upton moving to CF

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:14 pm

warrick95 wrote:

And this is a horrible decision. Let him play where he's played his entire life. Move him later on if he ends up needing it, which he shouldn't. The thing is, they're already loaded at OF, so it really makes little sense at all to rush the decision this quickly. I thought the best solution would be to eventually move Drew to 2B, but only when Upton actually comes up at SS.

I disagree, Drew is the much better fielding option at SS for the Dbacks. Upton had major defensive problems last year in high school at the SS position. Could Upton have learned to play SS at the MLB level? Sure, but why not go ahead and move him to the OF and let him learn a position that will not bother his head that much at the plate.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby clarkw267 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:06 am

Justin is much better with the glove than BJ. I think this move is a little premature, considering if they do ever need him to play SS, his development is hindered. It's always easier to move to the OF later on. I would have held out until it had to be done, because Justin has the tools to be a very good defensive SS.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby hybrid » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:56 pm

I personally thought they would leave him there for a year before they decided, as I think this is a bit to soon to come to a decision. The rational behind it is that they saw both in Spring Training and must feel fine w/ Drew there for the future and feel Upton can move faster as a CF. I'd rather have a bigger sample size of what management thinks in ST compared to a full season, cause in the long run Upton had the talent to stay and be better then Drew.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Armadillo Fury » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:50 pm

What does this mean for Chris Young's future? Does this lower Young's value in your minds?
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:35 am

Armadillo Fury wrote:What does this mean for Chris Young's future? Does this lower Young's value in your minds?

Well it doesn't change much of anything unless your league has individual OF spots (like LF/CF/RF). Even with that though he will be up before Justin and most likely moved to LF (unless they rather move Quentin) later on when Justin is ready.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball