Billy Wagner keeps Enter Sandman; New York Riots - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Wagner keeps Enter Sandman; New York Riots

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Xtreemes » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:
The Kavorka wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:
The Kavorka wrote: Mariano on the other hand had the Yankee PR dept pick the song for him.

That's not really fair, it doesn't sound as if Rivera had been consulted at all regarding what sort of music he'd like to have blasting out of the PA as he's rolling in from the 'pen.

Not really fair?

This entire stupid debate was started by arrogant Yankee fans who think the world revovles around their team.

How dare Wagner use Mariano's song?

Now it turns out Wagner has used the song 3 years before Mariano did and he didn't even pick it out himself. I can almost guarantee you Mariano had no idea what Metallica was in 1996.

Todays' Daily News quotes Mariano as saying he's not even a Metallica fan. He likes Christian music.

Christian Music ?!?!

Maybe Mariano can change his intro into a STRYPER tune now.

Karvoka, you are a fool. I did not start this topic to insult the rest of the baseball world. If it is making the news then it is a appropriate topic for DISCUSSION in this forum. Arrogant. I have not been the one throwing insults at people for their opinion.

Any Yankee fan that knows a minimal amount about the conserative, Christian Rivera knows he is not at home listening to Metallica. I am not surprised that the song came from the PR guys at all. The article I posted said the song was selected based on receiving the best reaction from the crowd. It was done for the fans.

I take pride in being able to take a step back and see both sides to debates and issues in general. I knew this thread would lead to the usual Yankee bashing comments, but I was genuinely surprised there was not more support for the Yankee side. So I went back to view some of the opposing comments.

First of all of course none of this is an issue of who has a right to the song. Of course it belongs to Metallica. Of course Wagner can use it if he wants. This is America and with the Mets permission Wagner can come out to whatever he pleases. If I used the word right or something similar I was mistaken.

My next point is that I do realize that in the grand scheme of things this debate and baseball in general do not matter at all, so don't get on my case when I use words like significant or important. It's all relative. But since we are still talking about this here is my point.

If we boil down this issue to its basic parts it involves groups. Get rid of the whole Yankee/Met thing. One group is taking something that has significance to another group and trying to make it their own. If that something significant is no longer unique it may lose what made it special in the first place. I think this is a basic human emotion (even if it may not be the most noble emotion). This would apply to rival high schools or colleges as well. I have known of Wagner's use of the song for a long time. While I didn't like it (that may be selfish), it was out of sight of of mind. The Mets and Yankees are conntected through the city, the papers, the news and the fans. The closeness of the two groups is what makes it an issue.

Mariano Rivera is the type of player I will tell my kids about in the future. I may never see another Yankee like him in my lifetime, and I am sure that the first part of every Mo story will involve humming the first few bars of Enter Sandman.

Part of my love for baseball comes from the little quirks and unique traditions found at each ballpark, many of which you will never even notice until you see the game in person. Not just the physical things like the Ivy at Wrigley either. It is the Red Sox signing Sweet Caroline or the Orioles fans screaming the "O" part of the national anthem. For me Enter Sandman is associated with Yankee stadium and one of the greatest players I have ever seen.

This debate isn't really a debate anymore because it looks like they will both use the song. I just wanted to explain where I was coming from.

No Yankees fan cared when Wagner used it in Houston or Philly. It is not the Mets taking something that means alot to the Yankees. It is Billy Wagner using a song he has used for 10 years.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 pm

CHE wrote:How did this get 10 pages long???

'roids!! :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 pm

Wagner is no more a Metallica fan than Rivera is. I have heard an interview with him and he admitted Jeff Bagwell picked it out for him. Plus MO had it first. Hopefully Wagner will be jinxed until he relinquishes the song.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Xtreemes » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:50 pm

cobbs87 wrote:Wagner is no more a Metallica fan than Rivera is. I have heard an interview with him and he admitted Jeff Bagwell picked it out for him. Plus MO had it first. Hopefully Wagner will be jinxed until he relinquishes the song.

Have you read anything in this thread? Wagner is a Metallica fan AND had the song 3 years before Rivera. Nice job getting your facts right.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:50 pm

cobbs87 wrote:Wagner is no more a Metallica fan than Rivera is. I have heard an interview with him and he admitted Jeff Bagwell picked it out for him. Plus MO had it first. Hopefully Wagner will be jinxed until he relinquishes the song.

Dear Einstein,

Read the thread. The article clearly states that Billy Wagner had the song played for him a full three years before Mariano Rivera. That's all I'll say on the topic. The rest has been discussed to no end. It's your choice whether you want to actually read or continue to live in ignorance.

With Love,

Reality Check
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Kavorka » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:52 pm

Yankee fan sighting !!!

Usuallly easy to spot. Just look for wrong information and blatant John Sterling-like homerism.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:56 pm

And that, as they say, is that.

Thank you for participating, you've been a wonderful audience.

We'll be here for another 161 games this year.

Don't forget to tip your mod on the way out.

Try the salmon next time. 'Night all.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers