Billy Wagner keeps Enter Sandman; New York Riots - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Wagner keeps Enter Sandman; New York Riots

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Wagner keeps Enter Sandman; New York Riots

Postby Minor League Skilz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 pm

All right maybe NY isn't rioting but talk radio is lighting up on this topic. So Wagner comes in for the save and Enter Sandman plays. Now I know he has used it in the past and I know he is a hard core metallica fan but you just can't do that in New York.

That song will forever be associated with Yankee stadium and Mariano Rivera. I would like to think that Mets fans would like to keep things original and not have to deal with Mariano comparisons. Wagner is a SICK closer in his own right and deserves his own Queens thing.

Lets hear it.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tgalv » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:14 pm

wagner can do whatever the hell he wants.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:16 pm

Wagner is the Mets relief savior. Talk radio must be bored as heck to talk about something like this; ESPECIALLY on the true opening day.

Let him play whatever he wants! People are up in arms over a SONG?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby apz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:16 pm

Who GARA? As you said, Wagner has used it before so what's the big deal. I'm from NY and I don't care. I think players having their own song is ridiculous anyway. As long as he closes out games, I'm happy. I'd like to see all loud music banned from games.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Not that I care if Wagner uses the same song...I do not.

But, you guys obviously have not seen/heard NY talk radio. If he keeps using Mo's song, EVERY time he blows one the next line from the Radio is going to be, "He's No Mo". That is inviting a comparison to a baseball god in NY. Trust me, Wagner does not want to go there. I do not think any serious NY fan has ever said anything bad about Mo. And no one is held in such high regard, even Jeter. Wagner invites a comparison that is going to be made if he insists on doing this.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 pm

It's time for Wagner to one up Mariano by playing "For Whom the Bell Tolls" instead. C'mon, it's just a better song all around.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby phillibuster » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Time to pass the torch.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Minor League Skilz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 pm

apz wrote:Who GARA? As you said, Wagner has used it before so what's the big deal. I'm from NY and I don't care. I think players having their own song is ridiculous anyway. As long as he closes out games, I'm happy. I'd like to see all loud music banned from games.

What are you a hundred? :-D COme on...I love loud music at games . And maybe it is the old wrestling fan in me creeping up but I love when a closer comes to the mound with a particular song. It adds a little flair to the game.

In my opinion the Mets and Yanks share the town so what goes on with one team does have an effect on the other. I am friends with too many Mets fans to count and a majority of them complain about being second class citizens in their own town. They want the respect for their team. Accuse me of East Coast bias or whatever, but this is a big deal in New York. Part of having your own identity as a team is not stealing things from the Yankees. Would it be OK for the Mets to play New York, New York after games? (I don't know a Met fan who would agree with that) And too many people here associate that song with Mariano.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 pm

phillibuster wrote:Time to pass the torch.

"Torch"...not a word I would want to use in referring to my closer.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Minor League Skilz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:29 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:It's time for Wagner to one up Mariano by playing "For Whom the Bell Tolls" instead. C'mon, it's just a better song all around.

There are probably a dozen Metallica songs that would bring down the walls at Shea.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers