Need some college advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need some college advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some college advice

Postby Webster11 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:23 pm

Im trying to decide where I should go to college next year and I have it narrowed down to a few schools, namely University of Michigan, Penn State University (Shreyers Honors College), and Case Western Reserve University. If anyone could give me info or advice it would be appreciated. Im most interested in Business and Engineering

Michigan
- Top 5 school in business and engineering
- Expensive since Im out of state
- Probably the school I like the most

Case Western
- Good school in both business and engineering
- A lot of new facilities such as new dorms, fastest internet, wireless access throughout the campus etc.
- Relatively cheap with a scholarship
- Its in cleveland :-o

Penn State (Shreyers Honors College)
- The Shreyers honors college is supposedly as good Ivy league schools
- Dont know much about Schreyers, anyone have more info?
- Relatively cheap with a scholarship and since im in state.

Any info or advice on these schools? The hardest thing for me is deciding on $, and id appreciate thoughts on that as well.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:44 pm

It really depends on what you like and your family income. If you parents are well off UMich is the clear choice here. It's a great school for business/engineering. It's gona be hardwork, but sounds like you can handle it.

If your parents are working people, like mine, and you dont want to worry them, Id say go to PSU. If you're in state and you have a scholarship you'll probably go there for nothing. It may not be the greatest school, but it's easy (from what i hear). If you plan to go to grad school or just want a prestigious college to graduate from, transfer your junior year to a better school and apply for a sscholarship there. This way you'll save 2 years of college tuition. Plus the parties are PSU arent bad either. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:51 pm

I assume you're looking into business/engineering? How close are you to Penn State? I know part of college is "getting away" and stuff, but if you've got a top notch school where you'd get in state tuition I think that's definitely the way to go. Since UK is a good engineering school and it right here where I grew up I figured what the heck. In fact a lot of people I went to high school with are doing the same thing I am by either living on campus or renting an apartment/house etc. I've got lotsa time to get away or whatever after I graduate and the best part is I won't be in debt up to my eyeballs. :-) Do whatever you think you'll enjoy, but passing up in state tuition to go out of state when you're already considering something much closer and cheaper just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, those are just my two probably too overly practical cents. ;-D Oh, and good luck and all that jazz. :-b
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Go to a school where you're going to have fun, enjoy the surroundings and meet quality people.

Your undergraduate degree doesn't mean jack in the long run. You're going to learn the basically the same things at any institution you attend. The more you apply yourself, the more you will learn, so go to a school where you will enjoy yourself, and the people around you.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Michigan is clearly the answer for me here. With a major in buisness and engineering you will likely pay off your student loans in their entirety in less then 5 years because of the high income you'll be getting from that degree. I wouldn't worry as much about $ and more about where you want to go. Michigan looks very good on your resume my friend, thast what top notch employers (who pay high salaries that can pay off your student loans) look at.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mrider » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 am

Michigan is a wicked school my cousin goes there she likes it I would go there for sure. If I had the marks.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk