Best fantasy baseball writers or sites? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best fantasy baseball writers or sites?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:As further proof that Rotoworld should report the news and not comment on it. Here is another gem of deep and profound inisght. Apparently they need to remind us that Miceli blows...but somehow want to imply that Orvella doesn't?

Rotoworld:
Dan Miceli blew the save and took the loss after giving up three runs in the ninth against the Orioles on Thursday night.
Miceli entered with two outs in the eighth and struck out Kevin Millar with two men on to protect a one-run lead. The Rays added a run in the bottom of the eighth, but that wasn't enough for Miceli, who gave up a walk, a single, a sac fly and a two-run homer to Melvin Mora. Let this serve as a reminder of why Chad Orvella still has fantasy value. Miceli isn't going to lose his job right now, but he's not an above average reliever.

And you'd say what if Orvella gets called up to close in a month?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:28 pm

That he blows just like Miceli does. The TB closer situation is likely to be gasoline all season just like the Florida one unless some rookie steps up imo. Probably the two worst closer siituation sin MLB fantasy-wise.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:08 am

Simulacrum wrote:Yeah, the cafe is the best but Rotoworld is required reading as well.

Def. Agreed.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cards05 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:21 am

TheYanks04 wrote:As further proof that Rotoworld should report the news and not comment on it. Here is another gem of deep and profound inisght. Apparently they need to remind us that Miceli blows...but somehow want to imply that Orvella doesn't?

Rotoworld:
Dan Miceli blew the save and took the loss after giving up three runs in the ninth against the Orioles on Thursday night.
Miceli entered with two outs in the eighth and struck out Kevin Millar with two men on to protect a one-run lead. The Rays added a run in the bottom of the eighth, but that wasn't enough for Miceli, who gave up a walk, a single, a sac fly and a two-run homer to Melvin Mora. Let this serve as a reminder of why Chad Orvella still has fantasy value. Miceli isn't going to lose his job right now, but he's not an above average reliever.

That's your further "proof" that they shouldn't comment on news???I'm in 2 competitive AL only leagues and Orvella is owned in both. I completely agree with the blurb. Miceli will lose the job and with Orvella pitching well in triple A it's not unlikely at all that he's the closer by May. Would you argue that Turnbow, or even Jenks, showed more signs of success than Orvella? I would think part of their job is to tell you who's second in line, and that's simply what they did.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:47 am

yeah, Orvella has killer minor league numbers, and is touted by MANY other websites.... and Miceli has sucked for a LONG time...
ohh, and I read rotoworld EVERY day
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 am

I like to use this site b/c it gives you links to the local newspapers' websites for every major league city...

http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/baseb ... s-news.php

I also like rotoworld and going onto the fan forum message boards for all the teams through their official websites via mlb.com

this site is my fave, though.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:30 am

I honestly believe the sharper contributors here know more than virtually any of the recognized big name sites, who mostly just rattle off the same obvious information or, in many cases, misinformation.

Rotoworld is pretty good, although they occasionally confuse fantasy with reality, which causes them to miss the mark badly. An example was their insistence that the Twins erred in keeping Castro at SS instead of the demoted Bartlett. While Bartlett is the likely superior option as a hitter (you sure wouldn't know it the way Castro has raked through the first couple weeks, although that's almost certain to change) Castro is a MUCH better defender, and that's why the Twins actually made the right choice. In other words, they get a little too hung up on offense in making assessments as to who should be playing, and who should be riding the pines, a frequent error in fantasy land.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:58 am

What? Orvella isnt even the closer on the minor league team. The TB situation is going to be a joke all season long. While I think Orvella is a talent, he isnt ready to close ML games. Anyone that thinks different obviously owns him in an expensive league. Miceli obviously isn't the answer but I can tell you that Rotoworld is wrong as well. Some sites are more reliable than others but the most reliable of all continues to be http://www.rotowire.com as far as I know.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:19 am

and how many major league closers never closed in the minors? Quite a few... not being stuck in the closers role probably allows Orvella to appear in more games
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby reenum » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:24 pm

thehat.

I think you're actually quite correct. I did search yesterday on the keyword 'strategy', and I found posts that were far more insightful than anything I've seen.

Perhaps we need to ask some of the brightest minds to start writing more articles as opposed to posts. Honestly, some of the stuff I saw in the archives just blew me away. The points were extremely rational, but I had completely overlooked or not even thought about most of them.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers