Oh man, what a night it's going to be...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Oh man, what a night it's going to be......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:27 am

Could I ask for more? :-) A rain delay in the 4th that lasted until Wrestlemania was over? Downright fantastic! :-) ;-D

I'm sure everyone saw the game, and my players did well, so no story there. :-)

Wrestlemania was very interesting though. Some typical stuff (like the Undertaker winning), some swerves (like JBL beating Benoit), and the amazingly stupid (Mysterio winning the heavyweight title). All in all it wasn't a bad show, but Mysterio's win leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Guess they figure since they've got a Heavyweight Champ on both shows (Raw and Smackdown), it doesn't hurt to give Rey the title, but to fans like myself, it's a very bad move. :-t

Anyway, still was a great night! :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:08 am

Madison wrote:Wrestlemania was very interesting though. Some typical stuff (like the Undertaker winning), some swerves (like JBL beating Benoit), and the amazingly stupid (Mysterio winning the heavyweight title). All in all it wasn't a bad show, but Mysterio's win leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Guess they figure since they've got a Heavyweight Champ on both shows (Raw and Smackdown), it doesn't hurt to give Rey the title, but to fans like myself, it's a very bad move. :-t

Just curious Mad but why so anti-Mysterio? I personally think it's a great story and that's exactly what they strive for. Here's a guy who isn't supposed to be your "average" WWE wrestler, a guy who's wrestled around the world and has busted his butt to get past certain stereotypes and such in the business, i.e. not being tall or big enough.

I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a 2-3 month champ, not with Orton being groomed to be the next big ball-carrier, but he is what he is and I see no problem with it. WWE loves to have feel-good stories happen at Wrestlemania, like Benoit and Eddy winning a few years ago. Sad as it is, Eddy's death gave them the perfect opportunity to push Mysterio to the top as the friend who wins it for Eddy.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:42 am

Isn't Rey Mysterio like 95 pounds? How the hell can he be heavyweight champ? Big John Stud would have used that guy as a toothpick. :-t
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby nsulham » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:17 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Isn't Rey Mysterio like 95 pounds? How the hell can he be heavyweight champ? Big John Stud would have used that guy as a toothpick. :-t

Sure if you want to take the term "heavyweight" literally then yes, you're correct. But Shawn Michaels wasn't exactly the biggest champion nor Bret Hart, and the two of them are considered some of the GOAT's. I understand Mysterio's even less than they are but IMHO, and I've watched wrestling for close to 20 years now, this isn't as bad as some are making it out to be. Is it "real" to think that a 5-5, 170 pound (listed dimensions and those are both being generous) guy like Mysterio could be THE Heavyweight Champion of WWE? Of course not; but since when has anyone believed wrestling is real?

Who else are they going to give it to that would make it this fresh?

Orton? His time is coming very soon, right after Mysterio. Angle? His health is failing bad and is going to need some time off soon or else he's going to burn out. Undertaker? Doesn't work the full schedule anymore that a champion needs to, plus we've seen everything from him before.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Benoit run with the ball for a second try but the fact is, for a fresh angle, the story of Mysterio the underdog David with the belt taking on all comers and trying to defends against the Goliaths, is a compelling story. It's fresh and that's what they should be looking for, even if it is only for 1-2 months until it's passed to Orton, which I think it will be.

If you want to argue that the story just isn't "believable" because of Rey's size and that it would never happen in real life then that's understandable. But since when has anyone looked at wrestling as real? The goal is to tell a compelling story and to me, that's what they have here.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:48 am

This doesn't have anything to do with Wrestlemania, but I was there in KC when Owen Hart fell from the ceiling. It was really sad. Something i'll never forget. I don't really follow wrestling anymore though, but I remember Rey Mysterio!

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:31 pm

nsulham wrote:Just curious Mad but why so anti-Mysterio? I personally think it's a great story and that's exactly what they strive for. Here's a guy who isn't supposed to be your "average" WWE wrestler, a guy who's wrestled around the world and has busted his butt to get past certain stereotypes and such in the business, i.e. not being tall or big enough.

I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a 2-3 month champ, not with Orton being groomed to be the next big ball-carrier, but he is what he is and I see no problem with it. WWE loves to have feel-good stories happen at Wrestlemania, like Benoit and Eddy winning a few years ago. Sad as it is, Eddy's death gave them the perfect opportunity to push Mysterio to the top as the friend who wins it for Eddy.

It's not anti-Mysterio, it's anti-incredibly ridiculous. :-D

Hey, I like Rey (for the most part), but he's just not a heavyweight champion. When someone new, who's never watched wrestling before, tunes in and sees a 5 foot 6, 165 pounder (stats straight from WWE, which means he's actually smaller than that) is the best, even they know something's not right. The Heavyweight Champion should be the best of the best, and obviously there's always a handful of guys who could hold the title, but Rey is not one of them.

I agree he's bested his tail all over the world, and deserves recognition for it. He's the best cruiserweight out there. Flat dab, and no doubt about it. Heck, give him the tag belt, give him the United States Championship, give him the Intercontinental Championship, but not the Heavyweight Championship. It only cheapens it.

Benoit and Eddy's runs with the belt can be justified. At least they qualify as a heavyweight and could do damage in the ring. Rey just can't do that. Some facts in life just cannot be overcome no matter what you do. I'll never be 7 feet tall and a basketball superstar (even though I'd kill myself before letting that happen) no matter how hard I tried to do it. Simple fact of life, just like Rey has zero business holding a heavyweight title of any sort.

The only reason Rey has the title is because Eddie died, and that alone says enough. The WWE has cheapened the title (which was a HUGE downfall of WCW), Rey has cheapened himself for going along with it, and all of them have cheapened Eddie's death with this pathetic display.

nsulham wrote:Who else are they going to give it to that would make it this fresh?

Orton? His time is coming very soon, right after Mysterio. Angle? His health is failing bad and is going to need some time off soon or else he's going to burn out. Undertaker? Doesn't work the full schedule anymore that a champion needs to, plus we've seen everything from him before.

You let Angle keep it, have 'Taker turn his sights back to the title again, and win it at Backlash. Do you realize 'Taker's only held the title 3 times in his 17 year history with the WWE? Sounds like you've been watching, so you know the only reason 'Taker wasn't going after the title at the moment is because he had to dispatch Mark Henry first. That buys Angle some time off, and opens a whole world of possibilities as to who, and when they challenge for the title. Oh, and 'Taker doesn't work the full schedule simply because he doesn't have to. If he were the champ, then he'd be active each and every single week. Bank on it.

As to Orton, he's a brat. He's had his title run, but he's also got major issues in the locker room. He's got to mature some before McMahon will be happy giving him the title.

Giving it to Mysterio doesn't open a world of possibilities, it only makes people like me wonder who the poor schmuck is that will have to lose to Mysterio at Backlash. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:21 am

Wrestling has just been one thing I've watched off and on but never really gotten into. However, I will say that I was watching it fairly consistently maybe five years ago when Rey "de-masked". Someone pulled off his mask and he went off for a few weeks just kicking the crap out of huge guys (I don't know wrestling that well... one of them may have been HHH... I can't remember).

Anyway, little guy strutting around in his urban camo beating the tar out of the big guys. I was a fan. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:24 am

Mad, I hate to say this but I never thought you were this simple minded. These guys are just acrobats on steroids. I can't believe you actually pay money for this.
It's not wrestling and should not share the same name as the real thing.

http://www.ncaasports.com/wrestling/mens
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:27 am

Fireball Express wrote:Mad, I hate to say this but I never thought you were this simple minded. These guys are just acrobats on steroids. I can't believe you actually pay money for this.

It's a soap opera with fighting, instead of people sleeping around with everyone. Why is watching it, and liking it a crime?

You want as real as real gets, then forget wrestling completely in all forms, and start watching the Ultimate Fighting Championships. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 am

Madison wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Mad, I hate to say this but I never thought you were this simple minded. These guys are just acrobats on steroids. I can't believe you actually pay money for this.

It's a soap opera with fighting, instead of people sleeping around with everyone. Why is watching it, and liking it a crime?

You want as real as real gets, then forget wrestling completely in all forms, and start watching the Ultimate Fighting Championships. ;-D

Never said it was a crime, just mindless, sort of like watching soap operas. :-)
As a former "real" wrestler I always found it insulting that the two shared the same name. One is a sport and the other is an act.

Yes, the UFC is brutal. I always root for the grapplers. Notice they usually win.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk