My Boss Sucks; Opinions needed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My Boss Sucks; Opinions needed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Boss Sucks; Opinions needed

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:47 pm

So my manager called me in for a "talk".

His boss, the CIO, a total *Expletive in every way* was pissed at me due to the following circumstance.

I had recieved a call from a user early in the morning about a problem. When I called back that user was not available so I left a message to call me back.


That day I took a quick lunch so I put a Sign on my desk that said
"At Lunch"

Well the CIO came over in a frantic rage, as usual, and said have any of you been working with Pam she called me 5 times in the last hour.

I said "I am on lunch so I haven't heard from her," I then showed him the sign, not to be a jerk but to show that I am at least making it known to people that I am on lunch currently.

He replied, "Ok well I need someone not on lunch to do this."

I then asked "Well does this have to do with her Archive email problems."

He replied "No" And then explained the problem to a co-worker so he could call Pam.

Apparently he was pissed because I didn't jump out of my seat to call Pam.

There were 4 other people right there I was the only one on lunch. Also, I was thinking that he was talking about a ticket that I was working on which was not the case. So I was trying to CMA by saying hey I'm on lunch and haven't heard from her. I'll call her back in 5 minutes.

Apparently this is unaccpetable as he being the CIO should get whatever he wants immediately.

I thought he was addressing me about a call having to do with me. Thats the only reason I spoke up. It wasn't about me and he gave me 0 seconds to respond to that before storming off to cry like a little girl to my manager.

So hopefully I don't get fired. Could I get fired for this? Doesn't seem like it would be legal.

Anyways am I wrong here? I think its a big misunderstanding. I explained the misunderstanding to my manager who will explain it to my crazy maniac CIO.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:32 pm

I would tell that CIO that you slept with his wife. ;-)

Seriously though, your job sucks. How could you work with people like that?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:34 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I would tell that CIO that you slept with his wife. ;-)

Seriously though, your job sucks. How could you work with people like that?


He's the only person like that.

I wrote a letter of apology just so I don't get fired
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:42 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I would tell that CIO that you slept with his wife. ;-)

Seriously though, your job sucks. How could you work with people like that?


He's the only person like that.

I wrote a letter of apology just so I don't get fired


But I thought you had said that you hated your job to begin with? Having a person, even if he's the only one, like that around, and then a manager that has no backbone to back you up...
Man, I'd buy a paper...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:59 pm

HOLY CRAP ACS, we have the EXACT same job.

This is what I've learned... if you have to deal with a CIO at times, I assume you work for a fairly large company that is probably not an IT company. We have circumstances in our offices like this; anyone can have the most insignificant problem and it doesn't matter... until that person takes it upon themselves to go up the hierarchy and over people heads. You see, there's a job and job duty and dude, lunch is lunch, ya gotta eat (as Checkers says). Anyway... it's all company's have a process, but when someone jumps over heads to get what they want, when they want it, the "process" gets all FUBAR. This is what I deal with too... end users are. Not all of them, because some of them wait patiently for support even for the most debilitating PC emergencies. I have people whose hard drives fail, all their data is lost and they're all like "Ok, whatever... whenever you can get it back is fine, no rush." I'm like "? Dude, your hard drive failed?" But then, you have some in accounting who thinks she's the queen of the universe whose mouse buttons are sticking or an icon on her desktop moved a half inch to the left. Those are the ones who don't "call the Helpdesk." How many times do I have to say it? CALL THE HELPDESK. Yes, I am the helpdesk, but it's not just me. If you need something done, there's a phone number... and that phone number IS NOT 1-800-CIO. I'm here when I'm here, I do my job, I fix problems... but it doesn't matter, EVER, unless someone important is around to NOT notice it... and then if that someone important needs something that is self-described as ASAP, then you damn well better make yourself available. Taking a crap? Get off the pot! Eating lunch? Starve, my CD-ROM is making making a funny noise! And do NOT get me started on Archiving Email, if these morons had half a brain they'd have just switched over to Outlook like everyone else did 5 years ago. I'm tired of having dreams where I kick Lotus Notes off a cliff, as if it's an actual person. Talk about head-case, phsychosis, giving inanimate objects identities... if Lotus Notes was a person, I'd kick them in the... perpetually. You can't really "stick it to the man" in the beaurocratic corporate world where hiring practices are shady at best (I mean, that moron secretary who works for the hick whose head of sales had to have slept with SOMEBODY) and "climbing the corporate ladder" is akin to being on a plane with snakes. Yeah it sucks, but you probably went into IT for the same reasons I did... opportunity and money. I have yet to see either, but I'm just 24. I'm getting my feet wet, but unfortunately the pool I'm dipping them into is flesh-eating acid.

[MOD EDITED: for repeat language. Let's not see anything like that again.]
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I would tell that CIO that you slept with his wife. ;-)

Seriously though, your job sucks. How could you work with people like that?


He's the only person like that.

I wrote a letter of apology just so I don't get fired


But I thought you had said that you hated your job to begin with? Having a person, even if he's the only one, like that around, and then a manager that has no backbone to back you up...
Man, I'd buy a paper...


Yea well I have no desire to find another job all of a sudden
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: My Boss Sucks; Opinions needed

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:
So hopefully I don't get fired. Could I get fired for this? Doesn't seem like it would be legal.

Anyways am I wrong here? I think its a big misunderstanding. I explained the misunderstanding to my manager who will explain it to my crazy maniac CIO.



I doubt they would fire over just one incident like this. If there were other they had a lot of other problems with you it could be different...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:19 pm

This will be totally unwelcome, but it's the truth. I work in employment law (specifically discrimination, but it translates) so I'm not just some random opinion.

Colorado is an At-Will state. What that means is that you work at the will of your employer, and if he wants to fire you he can. There are extenuating circumstances involving unions and contracts, but I'm assuming that you're not one of those people by your description.

Working at the will of your employer means he can fire you for what you said. It means he can fire you for what you didn't say. He can fire you because of the color of your shirt or the way you comb your hair. It's all at his will. I think it's something like 48 of the 50 states in the Union are At-Will states, so it's not just yours.

However, it's stupid to do this and you end up wasting tons of time and resources training new employees if you do, so most people tend to hand out warnings and not can people. That should give you some consolation.

Believe me, I get calls about stuff just like this all day long. What I usually tell people is that the state cannot legislate personality. That means that your boss is welcome to be a jerk, to yell at you, to call you names (within reason of civil codes, mind you) and to dress you down in front of your coworkers, even for things you didn't do wrong. It's good to know that, just not always great to hear.

Bottom line, if the situation you described is all that happened, you probably won't be fired. It would be a good idea to stay away from this guy's bad side for about a year, though.

Any other questions? I'll be here for about another 30 minutes...
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks guys I assume I won't be fired. And if I did I could work for my cousin who runs a bunch of ski shops.

Coppermine that was hilarious and yes we do the same thing. However, we use outlook and it sucks too. Although some auditors came in pretending they were awesome and were asking us questions on how to use their Lotus Notes. They seemed insulted when we said that no one uses Lotus Notes at all.

Anyways yea we have "Service Level Agreements" Of course if you complain to the CIO, who by the way created thee Service LEvel Agreements" then those agreements go out the window.

My CIO is one of those people who if you try to talk to him he ignores you and walks away. He thinks he's smart comes to work once a week and yells at people for things he doesn't understand.

My new found Quasi Buddah attitude forbids me from wishing death upon him. So I wish him food poisoning or something

Oh and Knapps

Thanks for the Legal Advice. I probably wouldn't sue. But I think I can hack his machine :) mwahwahahwhawhwahwhahahwa
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:52 pm

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

1) knapp is right, technically they can for any reason or for no reason at all. But if this uptight fires you over something like this you don't want to work there anyway.

2) Always leave the building for lunch. The fresh air will do you good.

3) words of encouragement:
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar. -- Drew Carey
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact