Time to belly up to the bar boys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Time to belly up to the bar boys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to belly up to the bar boys

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Opening day is right around the corners so it's time for predictions for the season. Since this is a team forum I don't feel that Tiger fans are out of place to give their predictions or thoughts about the upcoming season.

I think the Tiges are starting to make a turn. I see improvement in Bonderman, V > Ledezma and whoever, Rogers > Johnson. Maroth and Robertson not so good. The bull pen is more shakey, but Z could bring life to it, and Rodney should be fully recovered from Tommy John surgery. Needs to be better.
Hitters are going to produce runs, but fielding will be a major hinderance to this team's success. I see Pudge doing better, and improved health of Maggs and Guillen in addition to Granderson's development could make this a much feared line-up.
I see the Tigers winning 83 games this season. That's right, they will win more than they lose.

The division will finish:
Chicago Shite Sox 97-65
Cleveland Injuns 91-71
Minnesota Twinkies 84-78
Tigers 83-79
Kansas City Royales with Cheese 68-94

How do you guys see it?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:10 pm

Good idea for a thread moochman.

I agree that the Tigers appear to be turning the corner but health is going to be a HUGE concern for us Tigers fans again all season. Hell, opening day is 3 days away and Guillen's back is already becoming a bigger problem than they first admitted. IF , and that's a big if, Magglio and Carlos can both play 145+ games I think that will add 5-15 extra wins to the Tigers total. If they see significant DL time like last season then the Tigers will struggle to win 75 games. As far as Pudge goes, he can't be any worse than he was last season. Can he?

Here are my AL Central predictions with an optimistic outlook for the Tigers.

Chicago White Sox 104-58 - The rich get richer with the additions of Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez.

Cleveland Indians 85-77- I don't believe the hype regarding the Tribe. They lost Millwood, Howry, Riske, Arthur Rhodes and Coco Crisp while only adding Jason Michaels, Paul Byrd and Jason f'n Johnson. I see a step backwards for the Tribe this season.

Detroit Tigers 82-80 - If they can stay healthy 90 wins are possible but this is the Tigers after all so a key player or 2 on the DL would probably mean another sub .500 season.

Minnesota Twins 81-81- If only Santana could pitch every game. Not enough offense to compete in the AL Central. They will need great seasons from Morneau, Mauer, Baker and Liriano to play meaningful games in September. I just don't see it.

Kansas Shitty Royals 59-103- They added some nice role players but that's all this team has other than the always injured Mike Sweeney. Below average offense, starting pitching and bullpen equals another 100 loss season for the Royals. Of course they will probably win the season series against the Tigers but no one else.
Last edited by Dannomyte on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 pm

Dannomyte wrote:Detroit Tigers 82-80 - If they can stay healthy 90 wins are possible but this is the Tigers after all so a key player or 2 on the DL would probably mean another sub .500 season.

I had to be revived after reading that typo. :-D Gotta believe. ;-D

I think it's time to add a "go get 'em Tigers" slogan to my sig now. :-B
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:48 pm

moochman wrote:
Dannomyte wrote:Detroit Tigers 82-80 - If they can stay healthy 90 wins are possible but this is the Tigers after all so a key player or 2 on the DL would probably mean another sub .500 season.

I had to be revived after reading that typo. :-D Gotta believe. ;-D

I think it's time to add a "go get 'em Tigers" slogan to my sig now. :-B

I had a hard time typing it!!! Seriously though, IF the Tigers stay healthy and IF the young guys like Bonderman, Granderson, Verlander and Zumaya progress nicely this season the Tigers will be a very scary team for others to play. Unfortunately, everything has to go right for the Tigers to even sniff a 90 win season
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:11 pm

i want to believe they can have a winning season, but i just dont see it. the pitching is still a ? (both SP and the Pen). Rogers is OLD, but should be effictive. Bondo...i'm still waiting for him to be an ace. Maroth and Robertson are what they are, number 4 or 5 pictchers. Verlander...probably needs some time yet. what kind of year will Jones have? Rodney and Walker are decent, but nothing special, hopefully Zumaya is.

the hitting looks good on paper, but these guys need to learn to take some walks. I'd like to see them all healthy all year, but i'd like to win the lotto too. their defense is sub-par

Granderson - still young, can he put it together
Polanco - he's OK
Pudge - best days are behind him. he's become a hack and wont walk
Maggs - 25 HR from your cleanup spot isnt exactly ideal, could miss time
D Young - hopefully he lost the attitude
Monroe - not too bad
Guillen - think hes already had his career year 2 years ago
Shelton- has some promise
Inge- garbage

i like that we have a manager that knows what he's doing, but we have too many aging vets and too many young unproven players. we're still a few years away from realisticlly contending, and IF our prospects develop our vets will be gone by then.

Cleveland (95-67)
Chisox (91-71)
Twins (80-82)
Tigers (77-85)
KC (68-94)

i'm buying the Tribe hype for some reason. i just dont see Chicago repeating. hopefully the Tigs can finish 500 next year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Granderson - still young, can he put it together
Polanco - he's OK
Pudge - best days are behind him. he's become a hack and wont walk
Maggs - 25 HR from your cleanup spot isnt exactly ideal, could miss time
D Young - hopefully he lost the attitude
Monroe - not too bad
Guillen - think hes already had his career year 2 years ago
Shelton- has some promise
Inge- garbage

i like that we have a manager that knows what he's doing, but we have too many aging vets and too many young unproven players. we're still a few years away from realisticlly contending, and IF our prospects develop our vets will be gone by then.

Cleveland (95-67)
Chisox (91-71)
Twins (80-82)
Tigers (77-85)
KC (68-94)

i'm buying the Tribe hype for some reason. i just dont see Chicago repeating. hopefully the Tigs can finish 500 next year
Polanco is just ok? A career .300 hitter, with a good glove?
Guillen did have a career year, but he is still a good hitter. It's all about his health. When he's good, expect a .300 avg and good OBP, and solid defense.
And Inge who played every game harder than practically every other player on this team despite the workload being too much for him is garbage? He's no all-star, but he's a real gamer, I'll take him anyday on my team.
Haha, just messing with you a bit. Fair enough opinions, although I do see some of them a tad pessimistic.

I think .500 is well within reach, although I currently hate the offense on the bench. The rotation will be solid, but not spectacular with Zumaya or Grilli ready to step in if need be. The bullpen will be better than expected, because while I don't expect Jones to be as good as last year, I think he will remain more than adequate as long as he keeps those walks down. To me the most important thing will be how many runs they put on the board and how consistently can they do it. The Indians and Sox are good, you can't deny that. The Royals stink. I am not overly impressed by the Twins and think they are very vulnerable. Get to .500 or over and I think this team will be in third right behind two of the AL's elite teams. I think no matter how you look at it, this team is better than last year's team.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:18 am

Here is my $.02 on the final record:

78-84
dream_017
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

CafeholicFootball ModLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 am

White Sox 102-60
Indians 85-77
Detroit 82-80
Twins 80-82
Royals 64-98

I dont have much to add to the other comments - you guys spelled out the challenges Detroit faces pretty well, however there is one thing that I believe is being overlooked: Leyland is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to Trammel and that alone should increase Ws by at least 5.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: however there is one thing that I believe is being overlooked: Leyland is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to Trammel and that alone should increase Ws by at least 5.

I couldn't agree more. Take the opener, for example. There is no way the Tram would have put Zumaya in to pitch one inning, let alone two. He always went with veteran experience over youth with talent. His decision not to give Higgy the ziggy last year probably laid the groundwork for losing the team.

Leyland showed the team by puting Z & V on the roster that he wanted respected talent. Putting Zumaya in there proved he wasn't just talking. So here's 1 ;-D for Zumaya and 1 :-° for Leyland. :-b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers