Zito to Mets for Milledge & Bannister??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zito to Mets for Milledge & Bannister???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zito to Mets for Milledge & Bannister???

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:34 pm

I really think the Mets need this to happen and if they can get it done with a trade and sign I like it for both teams. Relying on Glavine and Trachsel to make the Mets a contender is a BIG gamble.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/03/g ... eball.html
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:37 pm

This one has been floating around for a while, so i'm not entirely sure on the doability of it. Time will tell.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Xtreemes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Won't happen now, especially after they just named Bannister the 5th starter and devastated Heilman by sending him to the pen. What sense would that make. If your going to trade Bannister just send him to AAA and keep Heilman in the rotation.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:06 pm

It makes sense because Heilman is no Zito. Zito gives them a perfect 1-2 punch in the rotation and a decent shot at the championship. The A's have a surplus of starters deemed to the pen so they would not mind either.

Of course this would shatter my entire view of baseball, but I can see it happening.

(Me? I Mets fan? Sitting around talking of possibilities with Amazinz? Thats just wierd.)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 pm

As a Braves fan, if the Mets get Zito, I'll get concerned about this year's pennant. Right now, their rotation is their biggest weakness, and an established starter to put behind Pedro is exactly what they need.

That said, if they give up Milledge, I think I'll be kind of happy. The Mets are really good about mortgaging their future to fail in the present, so perhaps that's all this trade would turn out to be.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:15 pm

Some people may not like to hear this but who really cares about Heilman and Bannister in the big picture? Bannister isn't anything speacial by any scouting reports I;ve read and Heilman is by far more valuable in the bullpen than in the rotation and I doubt he'll ever be better than a good #3 if given a rotation spot. I was under the impression that the Mets believe they could win it all this year, not next, or the year after that. They won't so with Glavine and Trachsel as their #2 & #3. If they can get Zito in a trade and sign (ala Hudson & Mulder) without giving up Pelfrey I think they'll be alright and improve their chances at being WS Champs. Milledge is the sticking point here but they already have Beltran in CF. Would they like to keep Milledge, yes, I'm sure they would. But to keep him and watch your rotation suffer besides Pedro again and again doesn't make a ton of sense if they really wanna win this year. It is much eaiser to find an OF than it is to find a stud SP like Zito who could be had below his market value as well. Anybody in favor of this?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 pm

This rumor has certainly been around for awhile. I thought for sure Zito would be traded this off-season but I was wrong about that. Now I'm convinced he'll be traded by the deadline. We'll see.

But I do know this... When Gotham Baseball first started it was a decent little site for Mets and Yankees fans but their "insider sources" are pure crap and I think they make stuff up just to garner attention. Just my opinion though. :-°
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:This rumor has certainly been around for awhile. I thought for sure Zito would be traded this off-season but I was wrong about that. Now I'm convinced he'll be traded by the deadline. We'll see.

I expect the A's to be leading the West by the deadline. Not sure that they would deal him at that stage.

As for this deal, I doubt it. The A's outfield of the future right now will probably be Swisher in RF, Herrera in CF. Milledge in left would be nice though.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 pm

If Herrera recovers from being out the entire season. You think Herrera would be a better CF than Milledge?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:28 pm

How good is Swisher's arm? It's not tough for me to see him ending up at first base as basically an Adam Dunn clone.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers