Roto vs H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto vs H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto vs H2H

Postby slicemdown » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 pm

Ive been playing fantasy for more than a couple years now, but for some reason have never competed in a Roto league. I have a draft comming up on Saturday. Is there any major difference, should I target different players, I would really like some help. Ill be sure to get back to you if u want
slicemdown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:44 pm

Whooo Hooo, the annual H2H vs Roto thread. :-)

Typically, the most common reason people like roto over H2H is that luck is less of a factor primarily because there are no playoffs.

The most common reason people like H2H over roto is that it's more fun.

As far as drafting players is concerned, I really don't think think that there's much difference between H2H and roto drafting strategy except that punting categories is a lot less advisable in roto.

I play for fun first and money second, so I have always enjoyed playing H2H. Hope this helps. :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CHE » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:50 pm

I dont care if its roto or H2H, as long as its nto a mix league :-°
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:51 pm

In Roto you have to have a more balanced team. In H2H you can get away with punting a category if you're dominant in the others (for instance saves or steals). If you do that in Roto it will kill you, because you're just giving points away.

Also, since you're measured on your entire season of work, there are guys who will really drag you down. Guys like Dunn and Sexson will just kill your average, so I would stay away from them unless you land a very high average guy earlier (like Pujols, Ichiro, etc).

Other things to keep in mind is that there is usually an IP and games played limit in Roto, so don't burn up all your games/innings early. Go ahead and sit a player with a bad matchup, when you wouldn't do that in H2H.

Last year someone in one of my leagues would put Hinske in at 1B when their regular 1B had an off day (Ortiz). They did this with the Util position too, and therefore couldn't play Ortiz the last 10 days of the season. The same person also burned up all their innings before September even hit, so they had a big lead in Ws and Ks and then watched helplessly as half the league passed them up as the season finished up.

The final thing I'll say is that with the structure of Roto I carry more hitters on my bench than I would in a H2H league. If I can have a backup at every IF position and the OF (multi-position eligibility is big here, guys like Hillenbrand or Huff or Ellis...), then you can make up for days when your starters have the day off. You want to maximize your stats, so don't leave games played on the table.

I prefer roto because I think it's a better measure of who really and truly has the best team. There's a lot less luck involved than there is in H2H. Good luck. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby chris8 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:53 pm

Most important difference in roto is that, unlike in H2H, you can't afford to 'punt' a category. If you have a team with no speedsters on it, you are pretty much guaranteed to get only 1 point in SBs, and it is very difficult to win the league with 1 point in any category.

So make sure you draft a balanced team!

Also use the search function at the top of the page - type in h2h AND roto - and it should help you find some more threads that talk about this issue.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby UncleIvan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Guys like Eric Chavez are more valuable in roto since it only cares about final season stats. Chavez is horribly streaky, a sucky-ass batter the first 2 months and then streaks back to normalcy, which an put you in trouble in h2h leagues.
UncleIvan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:28 pm

UncleIvan wrote:Guys like Eric Chavez are more valuable in roto since it only cares about final season stats. Chavez is horribly streaky, a sucky-ass batter the first 2 months and then streaks back to normalcy, which an put you in trouble in h2h leagues.

Which is another reason why I like H2H better. Roto is like one long boring marathon where there is only one winner. H2H is like 25 short races and even though you might not win the league, you can still enjoy whipping your buddy's ass. :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:36 pm

josebach wrote:Whooo Hooo, the annual H2H vs Roto thread. :-)

Annual? More like monthly lately... :-°
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers