Steroids Investigation- Possible fantasy implications? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids Investigation- Possible fantasy implications?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Roberto21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 pm

kidnemisis wrote:
Roberto21 wrote:I don't think they will name any names, other than the ones who have already admitted to using or been nailed with positive drug tests. It would be harming their own product and theMLBPA would fight them in court, dragging out the time and expense.

If this was going to be done, it should have been done last year or in the offseason, not right at the start of a season.

I don't think the MLBPA has any say. What are they going to say in court. It wasn't being policed at the time? Thats an argument for using not getting away with it because steroids were illegal.

As for the, "who is going to get caught" betting me and my roommate in college already have played a variation of this. Look at the leaders in home runs in the last ten years and look for spikes or who just shouldn't be there. Some interesting names come up.

They'll have a lot to say. If MLB releases any names without concrete proof I guarantee they will sue them for slander. They will be able to claim that the allegations caused them harm.

Baseball has nothing to gain by releasing the names of anyone who has not admitted to or tested positive. It hurts them economically, they will wind up with a court battle, and absolutely nothing to be gained from it.
Roberto21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djack909 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:04 pm

As a chemist, I can remember telling one of my employees how he could make Exstacy (sp) in his kitchen 35 years ago. That was at least 10 years before it hit the streets and clubs. The point, designer performance enhancing drugs(which can't be picked-up in their tests) are all ready out there. I suspect that 50% of MLB players are using them. Dopers can allways run ahead of the tests.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PacmanJr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Matthias wrote:here's the latest on the investigation from ess-pen...

Major League Baseball will investigate alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and other players and plans to hire former U.S. Senate majority leader George Mitchell to lead the effort.

ESPN has learned that Bonds and any other current player who may be part of this investigation will be allowed to play while the investigation is ongoing.

Of course ESPN has the latest, Mitchell is the PRESIDENT of ABC Sports/ESPN...
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kidnemisis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Roberto21 wrote:
kidnemisis wrote:
Roberto21 wrote:I don't think they will name any names, other than the ones who have already admitted to using or been nailed with positive drug tests. It would be harming their own product and theMLBPA would fight them in court, dragging out the time and expense.

If this was going to be done, it should have been done last year or in the offseason, not right at the start of a season.

I don't think the MLBPA has any say. What are they going to say in court. It wasn't being policed at the time? Thats an argument for using not getting away with it because steroids were illegal.

As for the, "who is going to get caught" betting me and my roommate in college already have played a variation of this. Look at the leaders in home runs in the last ten years and look for spikes or who just shouldn't be there. Some interesting names come up.

They'll have a lot to say. If MLB releases any names without concrete proof I guarantee they will sue them for slander. They will be able to claim that the allegations caused them harm.

Baseball has nothing to gain by releasing the names of anyone who has not admitted to or tested positive. It hurts them economically, they will wind up with a court battle, and absolutely nothing to be gained from it.

Major League Baseball would never release names without proof thats the whole point. Its only slander if you don't have proof. Apparently this former senator means business and he will work independently so if someone's name gets dragged into this there will be a reason for it. The only farce greater than whats going on now would be naming someone and then getting the suspension overturned or the court of opinion against you.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Roberto21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:20 pm

And absent an admission or postive test, they won't have that proof.
Roberto21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kidnemisis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:47 pm

Can I ask you a question? What launched this entire situation? Accusations from a book substantiated by calendar's made by BALCO employees that say who was taking what. If they get a list of orders that have a players name on them, thats your evidence.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:50 pm

I liked Jim Rome's take on the situation today
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers