Steroids Investigation- Possible fantasy implications? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids Investigation- Possible fantasy implications?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:16 pm

I don't think the investigation will have many fantasy implications, but I do think that players testing positive might. A 50 game suspension most definitely has fantasy implications.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:17 pm

kidnemisis wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:Sheffield has looked bad this spring.....

:-o :-t :-?

I wanna see the complete list of players.....

I wonder if someone will write a book about the other players not named Bonds?

I think the thing with Shef is that hes in decline. Gammons had something on 3 year trends and how its a good indicator of future performance and Shef has declined 3 seasons in a row now. I think he'll still be good for 30 and 100 but this might be his last elite year. If anything Shef is the last guy who would let the steroids thing affect his game, but I could see it happening to other guys.

I hope that he snaps out of it. He looks lost at the plate. He has been swinging and missing badly. I watched a couple of his ST ABs and I noticed that he got defensive and lost his trademark aggressiveness after the first strike not the second.

He used to send ropes into left field and down the third baseline, but he did not even do that. Either he is holding back, this roid talk about Barry is getting to him, the contract situation is bothering him or his shoulder....because does not look like the same player that I had last season.

He has picked his average up as of late....but I really hope that he returns to form soon.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:22 pm

here's the latest on the investigation from ess-pen...

Major League Baseball will investigate alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and other players and plans to hire former U.S. Senate majority leader George Mitchell to lead the effort.

ESPN has learned that Bonds and any other current player who may be part of this investigation will be allowed to play while the investigation is ongoing.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:Sheffield has looked bad this spring.....

:-o :-t :-?

It looks like A-Rod will bat after Sheff, meaning Sheff will have the reigning MVP as protection. I wouldn't worry much about him. He'll have loads of RBI this year. His hitting will come around.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:46 pm

To answer the topic of the thread I don't see any fantasy implications whatsoever. No way.

On Bud's press conference... A little indulgent with the compliments of himself and his administration. "We're proud of what we've done..." "Minor League Baseball has had a policy for 6 years..." "We have the best system in American Sports..." etc... etc... Puke!

But 2 things did intrigue me about it. George Mitchell is going to be a beast with this thing. The guy has a huge reputation and he's a man of high integrity. I expect a lot from him.

The second thing is when a reporter asked a question about Steroids being illegal since 89 and whether or not they would name guys from that point on or not and Bud basically said that isn't being ruled out and the investigation might go back that far. Not just back to 2002.

And thank god this thing is going to be made public. That gives me a great idea...

We should have a pool or contest! We'll make odds on who is likely to get named on about 100 players and you'll get to play a certain amount "points" (You know, like gambling but points instead of dollars) and you'll have minimums and maximums that you can bet on each guy. That would be fun.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Roberto21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 pm

I don't think they will name any names, other than the ones who have already admitted to using or been nailed with positive drug tests. It would be harming their own product and theMLBPA would fight them in court, dragging out the time and expense.

If this was going to be done, it should have been done last year or in the offseason, not right at the start of a season.
Roberto21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kidnemisis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Roberto21 wrote:I don't think they will name any names, other than the ones who have already admitted to using or been nailed with positive drug tests. It would be harming their own product and theMLBPA would fight them in court, dragging out the time and expense.

If this was going to be done, it should have been done last year or in the offseason, not right at the start of a season.

I don't think the MLBPA has any say. What are they going to say in court. It wasn't being policed at the time? Thats an argument for using not getting away with it because steroids were illegal.

As for the, "who is going to get caught" betting me and my roommate in college already have played a variation of this. Look at the leaders in home runs in the last ten years and look for spikes or who just shouldn't be there. Some interesting names come up.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:04 pm

Congerss went to MLB and told them to get steriods out of the game in the late 1960s!

How can Dud Selig sit there and talk about this problem as if it just happened 8 years ago?

What I got out of this whole mess is:

-Steriods are not bad if players are getting bigger all of a sudden.

-Steriods are not bad if pitchers are taking them.

-Steriods are not bad if it helps the public starts to come back to baseball after the strike, to watch Sosa and Big Mac.

-Steriods are not bad if the users are going to break the single season HR record.

Steriods are only bad if you are chasing the all time HR record.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kidnemisis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Let me add one:

Steroids are only bad if you get caught and embarrass the commissioner who is worried about his legacy.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 pm

and Sheff goes yard while the steriod police assemble! ;-D

NYY - GARY SHEFFIELD (1) OFF EDWIN JACKSON IN THE 6TH
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext