Well now all those that dropped Heilman... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Well now all those that dropped Heilman...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Well now all those that dropped Heilman...

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:23 am

may in the end have to kick themselves...Can;t say I see this as likely, but nevertheless. Of course, it is also the AL East.

Rotoworld:
The Tampa Tribune reports that the Devil Rays may try to trade for Aaron Heilman, likely offering the Mets Julio Lugo in return.
Heilman would likely start immediately in Tampa Bay and New York could use Lugo at second base. The two teams are also reportedly talking about a smaller deal involving Heath Bell.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:33 am

Heilman might be a pitcher that is simply suited for the bullpen though, where hitters only see him once, maybe twice in a game. Even though he would get a starting spot in TB, it may be that he isn't made for starting.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:35 am

That may be true, but in fairness he should be given a shot to see if that is the case.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:55 am

Lugo is a very nice player, but the Mets have question marks in pitching with Petey's health, not on offense. Hernanderson is more than adequate for the Mets' needs-- a very good fielder and he can easily hit .280 (he had a very nice DWL when he was playing 2B all the time-- better than his ST numbers when he has had inconsistency in his PT and role).
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:02 pm

I'd be happy with that trade, as a Lugo owner. He'd get 2nd base eligibility. Still, do you think the Mets would do that trade with Lugo's injury questionmarks to think about? A groin injury, even if he is able to play with it, is likely to take away from his biggest asset... stolen bases. I agree that he might not be much better than Henanderson if that is the case. I don't think the trade will happen.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:12 pm

Seems to me that Heilman has a lot more value as a SP with the Mets than he would with the DRays, but maybe I'm crazy...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:17 pm

Heilman would lose a lot of value if he is traded to the D-Rays.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby ukjohn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29 pm

The actual article says this:

They could also get quickly involved in a bigger deal with the Mets if they were to consider trading Aaron Heilman, who is unhappy about being bumped to the bullpen. The Mets have had interest in Julio Lugo and still have a need for an established second baseman.

so basically it's just speculation from a local writer. this deal was talked about in the offseason, but I think the Devil Rays should wait until the deadline and hopefully get something better than Heilman.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeah, I like Heilman a lot more as a set-up man for the Mets than as a starter for the D-Rays. Can't say I'll be thrilled if this happens.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby newbie_1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:52 pm

A question in my mind is who will replace Lugo? Would they move Upton up or are his defensive skills too much of a liability?
newbie_1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers