How do you get your saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you get your saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm

A lot of saves always come off the WW. I never take top closers unless one of them slips dramatically and there aren't any top bats left. I generally (With a few exceptions like a guy slipping) wait until the beginning of the last third of a draft to start thinking about closers, if that makes sense.

In a 12 team league I have Turnbow and Valverde (my CL sleeper ala Cordero last year) and Neal Cotts.

In an 11 team league I have Street, Jenks, and Valverde.

In both of those leagues I'll probably have 5 closers by the middle of May.

Bottom line: When there is a big bat available and you're looking at a closer; Take the Solid Bat.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 pm

redsoxflyfishr wrote:I try to wait on taking a reliever until round 13-15, unless there is someone still there you just can't pass up. I usually fill my RP slots with MR's like Shield, Linebrink, etc and try to get a closer a couple months into the season. Worked for me last year. I picked up Fuentes and Baez of ww and stayed competitve in saves still. Don't waste early picks on RP's. I think that's a bad draft stragegy.

that's basically what i'm thinking for this year. i got top-tier mr in the late bit of the draft to keep the peripherals down and then as closers come available, will augment that way.

saves aren't worth any more if they come in april.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reenum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm

d18Mike wrote:I purposely did not go heavy on closers this year. I can't remember a years when there were more Closer question marks on opening day than this year. At least 1/3 of the clubs have a guy whose hold on the job is tentative or compromised by lingering injury. I figure can be competitive on Saves on the WW.

I had the same thought. While I did get Isringhausen in the 7th round, my other guys for the moment are Valverde and Cotts (if he gets the job).

I just don't feel like a guy who will be mediocre and just happens to get saves is worth a mid-round pick.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Seems to be a bit of a pattern with the owners answering this thread.

I, too, tend to get one 'known' commodity at the tail-end of the first closer run (this year Wagner, with concerns over his finger), and one upside value pick later (Valverde).

After that, I try to stay on top of the wire. In recent years that's landed me the likes of Borowski and Kolb (03), and Fuentes/Farnsworth/Rodney (05).

I find it keeps me competitive in saves from year to year, so I'm not going to reach in the draft. You may have to toss back the occasional Belisle or Hawkins, but stay on top of the wire.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wurthit » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:43 pm

I norm grab a guy that is higher up there this year i have Lidge. But i had gagne sitting there in round 15 dont know how it happened 12 team league too. But i always add someeone like wagner if he will get the job from weathers or devine im lookking closely at jumping on.
How many closers you guys think is a good number i norm try to have 4. Last year i had mariano and ended up getting jones off the wires.
wurthit
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Most of the time I wait till 8-10 and then grab a guy or two off my young closer list...then a few rounds later do the same thing. I go for quantity over quality and get 3-5 guys like Gonzalez, Valverde, Fuentes, etc. If I don't get those guys when I like the value I don't sweat it...I just watch the WW/FA list in that league.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Smee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 pm

I don't know why Valverde is falling so far in drafts. Last year he put up solid numbers and now he's been given the closer job. Unless he has some LaTroy Hawkin-ish aversion to closing games, he should be a monster this year.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:11 pm

I don't understand either Smee. I have a huge mancrush on Valverde. Maybe people are afraid of his (substantial) injury history. Maybe they just have Dusty Baker syndrome and want the veterans even when the veterans are Tom Gordon :-P Sure, guys like Valverde, Gonzalez, Fuentes CAN flop. But on the other hand they could be BJ Ryan. And as long as they don't completely stink they're still going to give you saves...it's not like with hitters that teams are likely to bench them or they're going to kill your categories. They don't pitch enough innings to completely wreck your era/whip. They'll normally k people even when they stink. And they'll still put up a decent amount of saves in between their crappy outings...heck, even Weathers saved 15 last year didn't he? :D

I think I went BJ Ryan and Aquino as my 2 speculative guys last year. Aquino was !+) while Ryan was ;-D;-D;-D But for two picks in the mid-rounds you could do a LOT worse.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers