How do you get your saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you get your saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you get your saves?

Postby Fantasy Guru » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:38 am

Last year I played "take whoever comes to me" and wound up with Nathan, BJ Ryan, and Kolb (late round, glad I traded that nightmare...)
This year, I planned to go in with the "Screw closers, I'll pick up the free agents" Examples: Cotts, Miceli, etc.

But I decided to jump on Nathan after he fell to the 7th.

I would go after some of the remaining closers, except people are letting solid players drop. I got Hank Blalock 108th overall, it's like pick 112 now, and Matt Holliday is still available. Same with Curt Schilling.

So I could either go with a mediocre closer, or with a solid pick like Holliday or Schilling.

What are the chances of a lot of saves coming off the WW this year? Would you risk that to get good players that drop in your draft?
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 am

Depends on the competition. The less active and less competitive the league, the more you can just depend on the waiver wire for saves.

Last year I was in a tough league with hawks, so I missed out on guys like Turnbow, Jones, Fuentes etc. I did snag Brazoban though... !+)
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:33 am

id take holliday there
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby d18Mike » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:07 am

I purposely did not go heavy on closers this year. I can't remember a years when there were more Closer question marks on opening day than this year. At least 1/3 of the clubs have a guy whose hold on the job is tentative or compromised by lingering injury. I figure can be competitive on Saves on the WW.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:18 am

If there is not a reliable closer left, which, at that position, there probably isn't, I would go ahead and grab Holliday. Keep a close eye on the bullpens this year and it'll work out for you. I only drafted one last year in a roto and that was Benitez. I watched the pens pretty closely and ended up middle of the pack in saves.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How do you get your saves?

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:
What are the chances of a lot of saves coming off the WW this year? Would you risk that to get good players that drop in your draft?

every year there are saves appearing on the ww. since i can check my team while at work i am generally pretty good at picking up those guys. therefore, my strategy has been to get one reliable closer and build around him with draft bargains (this year valverde and ray come to mind) and spend late round picks on stooges like reitsma and weathers hoping one pans out. i'd rather draft a holliday, schilling, etc. type in the middle rounds and sweat it out with reitsma/weathers than go with dempster and a low budget outfielder.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Re: How do you get your saves?

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:12 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Fantasy Guru wrote:

every year there are saves appearing on the ww. since i can check my team while at work i am generally pretty good at picking up those guys. therefore, my strategy has been to get one reliable closer and build around him with draft bargains (this year valverde and ray come to mind) and spend late round picks on stooges like reitsma and weathers hoping one pans out. i'd rather draft a holliday, schilling, etc. type in the middle rounds and sweat it out with reitsma/weathers than go with dempster and a low budget outfielder.

Well said. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigty6 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm

You could of course bolster your roster enough that you could make trades to help out your bullpen issues. If guys you like aren't around anymore, amass a ton of people others would want and make trades accordingly.
bigty6
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:41 pm

getting closers is like getting taco bell: it's only worth it if you get it cheap and late.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:50 pm

I try to wait on taking a reliever until round 13-15, unless there is someone still there you just can't pass up. I usually fill my RP slots with MR's like Shield, Linebrink, etc and try to get a closer a couple months into the season. Worked for me last year. I picked up Fuentes and Baez of ww and stayed competitve in saves still. Don't waste early picks on RP's. I think that's a bad draft stragegy.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers