Late Spring Sleeper SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Late Spring Sleeper SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheBayBergaler » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:58 pm

How the hell did a Ted Lily convo get started in here... If anyone has any insights or info of Floyd....much appreciated.
Yahoo StatTracker+MLB Extra Innings= Heaven
TheBayBergaler
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:05 pm

Did I just see that Tom Gordon compared him to Roger Clemens? Because I heard 2 weeks ago that Philip Hughes was compared to Roger Clemens as well by Giambi. You know who else reminds me a lot of Roger Clemens? Jon Papelbon. How about....hmmm... Oh Yeah. Yep. I heard Mike Pelphrey throws like Roger Clemens too from some people in Mets camp. Oh dang, you know who else? Danny Almonte. Anyone we're forgetting? Because apparently it's ok in sports now to compare nobodies to one of the GOATS.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CHE » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:07 pm

AT wrote:Did I just see that Tom Gordon compared him to Roger Clemens? Because I heard 2 weeks ago that Philip Hughes was compared to Roger Clemens as well by Giambi. You know who else reminds me a lot of Roger Clemens? Jon Papelbon. How about....hmmm... Oh Yeah. Yep. I heard Mike Pelphrey throws like Roger Clemens too from some people in Mets camp. Oh dang, you know who else? Danny Almonte. Anyone we're forgetting? Because apparently it's ok in sports now to compare nobodies to one of the GOATS.

LOL< I predict Floyd to have a era over 4.7 by May ;-D
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm

[quote="CHE"][quote="Havok1517"]What about Ted Lilly? He'll open with Toronto as the #2, playing on a much improved team. Minus 1 start where the wind was blowing hard and he gave up a bunch of HR he was having a very good spring, has high K potential, and is only 30. I could see 15 wins this year. ;-D[/quote]

No, hes n t there number 2 starter, hes there number 5. And he'll pitch like a number 5 starter. Towers is a safer bet then lilly.[/quote]

No, he's the #2 starter to start the year since Burnett is out for at least 2 starts then he moves back the #3 spot. Thus followed by Chacin at #4 then Towers as the #5.

Sorry, though this post was for late spring sleepers not just Floyd. Oh wait, a few other pitchers have been mentioned as fellow possible sleepers (Vargas & Olsen) so I'm safe. :-°

Sickels on Floyd

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 151042/695
http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 145447/448
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby phillibuster » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm

CHE wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:What about Ted Lilly? He'll open with Toronto as the #2, playing on a much improved team. Minus 1 start where the wind was blowing hard and he gave up a bunch of HR he was having a very good spring, has high K potential, and is only 30. I could see 15 wins this year. ;-D

No, hes n t there number 2 starter, hes there number 5. And he'll pitch like a number 5 starter. Towers is a safer bet then lilly.

Yeah, I don't think that Lilly has the "upside" he's been in the bigs for quite some time, and hasn't really shown any flashes of brilliance.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fantasygeek2006 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Drop Anthony Reyes for him? Ive always like Floyd, Reyes has alot of potential, however if Reyes is in th eminors he cannot help me right now.
fantasygeek2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phillibuster » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:52 pm

CHE wrote:
AT wrote:Did I just see that Tom Gordon compared him to Roger Clemens? Because I heard 2 weeks ago that Philip Hughes was compared to Roger Clemens as well by Giambi. You know who else reminds me a lot of Roger Clemens? Jon Papelbon. How about....hmmm... Oh Yeah. Yep. I heard Mike Pelphrey throws like Roger Clemens too from some people in Mets camp. Oh dang, you know who else? Danny Almonte. Anyone we're forgetting? Because apparently it's ok in sports now to compare nobodies to one of the GOATS.

LOL< I predict Floyd to have a era over 4.7 by May ;-D

Could be, but any youngster that goes 4-0 in ST, and has supposedly has his nasty curve and confidence back is worth a flier in my book, especially the deeper leagues (15) in my case. If he does have a 4.7 ERA in may he gets dropped for the next chance at lightning in a bottle. But we do see the signs of something potentially special happening to Floyd, ala Jon Garland last year.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:33 pm

CHE wrote:
No, hes n t there number 2 starter, hes there number 5. And he'll pitch like a number 5 starter. Towers is a safer bet then lilly.

true that!
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:47 pm

I like Scott Baker and Dave Bush way more than Floyd, you might too. Floyd's 2005 AAA numbers really freighten me.
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml

That being said Floyd has been impressive this spring.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phillibuster » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:13 pm

lefty31mazur wrote:I like Scott Baker and Dave Bush way more than Floyd, you might too. Floyd's 2005 AAA numbers really freighten me.
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml

That being said Floyd has been impressive this spring.

You could be right, but these guys don't have the K potential that Floyd does that makes him more valuable in some leagues, especially point leagues. Bush is gone in my league, but i'll keep a close eye on Baker.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers