Chisox fans- what can you tell us about Jenks/Cotts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chisox fans- what can you tell us about Jenks/Cotts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:26 pm

The other Ozzie quote that I can't dig out of the Tribune right now was something to the effect of 'of course [Jenks] is not in shape. You can't get in shape spending all winter sitting on your --- [this was in the Tribune as well...] on the couch'. I need to get ahold of some of my Sox buddies to see what they think... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 pm

Yeah I just watched my wife get an epidural a few months ago when we had our first baby, and to think of a grown man getting one is a bit odd.... but hey, if that's what it takes...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:The other Ozzie quote that I can't dig out of the Tribune right now was something to the effect of 'of course [Jenks] is not in shape. You can't get in shape spending all winter sitting on your --- [this was in the Tribune as well...] on the couch'. I need to get ahold of some of my Sox buddies to see what they think... :-?

Yeah but what is in shape for Jenks? What does his workout consist of?...running to the all you can eat Buffet at Pizza Hut?...Racing Bartolo Colon and David Wells to the local pub?...Going to the market for a new supply of twinkies and hostess cupcakes?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 pm

Politte gets 1 shot at closing 3 years ago and he should never be given a shot again? Hmmm...I think his post-numbers and last year's breakthrough season show that he might be due another shot. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Ditka311 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:48 pm

right now, Jenks is the closer. Guillen is not thrilled that he came into camp so out of shape. This quote explains it all:

"I told him when you show up out of shape, you're ruining 25 guys wearing this uniform,'' Guillen said. "You're not ruining myself or you, you're ruining your teammates that come in shape. That means you show up and you don't give a [bleep] about them.

"He understands. I told him, 'When you're fat and you're good, you're a strong guy. When you're fat and you're horse[bleep], you're fat.'''

Right now the Sun Times reports that if Hermanson does come back, it won't be until the 2nd half.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TurdFerguson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:34 am

I saw an article on sportsline today that said Guillien has confidence in Jenks.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:59 am

Ditka311 wrote:right now, Jenks is the closer. Guillen is not thrilled that he came into camp so out of shape. This quote explains it all:

"I told him when you show up out of shape, you're ruining 25 guys wearing this uniform,'' Guillen said. "You're not ruining myself or you, you're ruining your teammates that come in shape. That means you show up and you don't give a [bleep] about them.

"He understands. I told him, 'When you're fat and you're good, you're a strong guy. When you're fat and you're horse[bleep], you're fat.'''

Right now the Sun Times reports that if Hermanson does come back, it won't be until the 2nd half.

That's cool. I'm glad I strained to hang onto Jenks. Hopefully he can pick up some SV the first week and I can deal him? I do have to consider the Tribune more of a Cubs' source than a Sox source...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Ditka311 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:31 am

The Cubune?
8-o
Never.....
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dcon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:55 am

I know this would probably never happen but do you think if McCarthy is the best reliever and the other candiated stumble any thought would be given to making him the closer for this year.
Dcon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:29 pm

Here is why it will be Cotts instead of Politte if Jenks bombs:

1) Ozzie has said he is next in line. This seems like good evidence to me.

2) Ozzie manages by gut and intuition, and if his gut tells him Cotts this means more than logical things like lefty/righty match-ups.

3) Pollitte has already failed once as a closer. Maybe the White Sox are samrt enough not to try and prove the theory that he is the second coming of LaTry Hawkins, i.e. top-notch set-up guy but chronic failure when he pitches in the 9th.

This said, if Cotts gets the rock and bombs a couple of times in a row, he will probably get a quick hook too, in which case Polittle may get his shot.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers