Anyone not start their starters for their first start - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone not start their starters for their first start

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Area51's » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:25 pm

I'm benching Webb at COL but playing Harden vs. NYY. If it was later in the year and I knew better what I needed WHIP + ERA or Wins, I might start Webb there, but want as pristine of peripherals for now as I can get
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:16 pm

nuggets wrote:From what I've seen, Webb still gets nice sink on it even at Coors. I think the advantage is that it's about as hard and fast a pitch with diving movement as you can throw, the other being a splitter. Clemens has also pitched well at Coors in the past. Anyone care to pull up the stats of the best Splitter/Sinker thowing SPs in the game at Coors? It's' my impression that the sinker Webb throws is far and away the best in the game, so maybe it won't rate well...Anyways, I think guys who throw hard, diving stuff do better at Coors, unlike a Sheets type, who relies on a softer and slower curve.

My theory is still alive!

Code: Select all
Webb today at Coors!

IP  H R ER BB K HR  ERA 
B. Webb  7.0 5 1  1 3  2 0  1.29
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:22 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:Well, I have Aaron Harang in one (deep) league. His first start is in Cincinnati, against the Cubs. I'm not sure that I believe the Cubs have an incredibly good high-powered offense. But I know I don't like the idea of stating Harang at home against anyone decent, and considering the potential for an explosion in the first game of the season... I think he'll have to take a seat on the bench.

GAB has a 3 year run index of 98, nothing to be afraid of. Harang last year had a home 3.31 era, versus 4.30 on road. In his 1 start at home versus Chicago, he won, going 9 innings, 3 runs.

I would never chance a Coors start. The odds point to a bad start, more then a good one. Would you start Webb at Coors?

I'm glad I followed my instinct on Harang - I remembered what the Cubbies did last year opening day (16 runs, same as today), and I had a bad feeling... well, actually a good feeling :-D about Harang. For what it's worth, I probably would've played Webb in Coors - I tend to lean towards starting my pitchers more than benching them, and nuggets' suggestion would've been good enough for me to give him a shot.

On the other hand, I also started Millwood against Boston today, against my better judgement. I figured, I had Schilling going, and I didn't want to have the ignominy of Millwood having a great game and Schilling blowing up, thus having the wrong one benched. So at the last minute, I subbed Millwood in as well. Oh well, at least Schill's numbers will offset Mill's.
Last edited by EugeneStyles on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby nuggets » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:25 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:On the other hand, I also started Millwood against Boston today, against my better judgement. I figured, I had Schilling going, and I didn't want to have the ignominy of Millwood having a great game and Schilling blowing up, thus having the wrong one benched. So at the last minute, I subbed Millwood in as well. Oh well, at least Schill's numbers will offset Mill's.

I hate it when I get myself making moves like that... it so rarely pays out. I'm not sure anyone will go from so bad to good just because of home park change like Millwood will this year.

I didn't even bother with Schilling (or Thome) in drafts this year, unless they went way late, which they never did....ooops?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:41 pm

nuggets wrote:I didn't even bother with Schilling (or Thome) in drafts this year, unless they went way late, which they never did....ooops?

Well, the one league where I got Schilling, I got him in the 11th round, *after* I took Scot Shields (it's a Holds league, so not as ridiculous as it sounds at first). At that point, he seemed like a good gamble.... and a nice addition to a pitching staff of Santana and Peavy. Millwood, of course, went real late, like round 20. Just took a flyer on him, remembering his days of glory... ;)
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Ok Eugene, bite me :-b Started Harang today and Oooooouuuuuuuchhhhhh :-[
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:46 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:Well, I have Aaron Harang in one (deep) league. His first start is in Cincinnati, against the Cubs. I'm not sure that I believe the Cubs have an incredibly good high-powered offense. But I know I don't like the idea of stating Harang at home against anyone decent, and considering the potential for an explosion in the first game of the season... I think he'll have to take a seat on the bench.

GAB has a 3 year run index of 98, nothing to be afraid of. Harang last year had a home 3.31 era, versus 4.30 on road. In his 1 start at home versus Chicago, he won, going 9 innings, 3 runs.

I'm glad I followed my instinct on Harang - I remembered what the Cubbies did last year opening day (16 runs, same as today), and I had a bad feeling... well, actually a good feeling :-D about Harang.

Good call. I was saying that GAB to me, isn't a reason to sit a sp. It's neutral. I watched the game. Dunn was horrible. He let 2 balls drop, costing 4 or 5 runs. Red pitchers will have bad eras, if Dunn plays as bad as he butched LF today.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 pm

Started D-Lowe in two leagues. D'oh!

He wiped away good outings from guys like Schill, Davis, Hernandez on those two teams. I'm not going to panic, though. I trust you, D-Lowe!
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gags Sports » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:51 pm

Good thing I sat Zito tonight. Whew!
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Half Massed » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Not a good start for my pitching this year. I've got Hudson, Lowe, Harang, Lieber and Kazmir in various leagues. I benched Harang in one league, but ended up starting everybody else... :-P
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers