Anyone not start their starters for their first start - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone not start their starters for their first start

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:44 am

Madison wrote:I've got some truely nasty starts the first week this year:

Webb@Coors
Schilling@Texas
Harden vs. Yankees
Haren vs. Yankees

I don't like any of those. :-o

Ouch.

I'd play Harden and Webb. Webb's sinker actually does well in Coors. Harden pitched well versus the Yanks early last season.

HOOTIE wrote:I would never chance a Coors start. The odds point to a bad start, more then a good one. Would you start Webb at Coors?

Webb has limited the Rox to low runs totals while pulling in decent ERA, Ks and Wins over the last two years (Five starts)
Last edited by nuggets on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby number9 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:01 am

I'd play Harden and Webb. Webb's sinker actually does well in Coors. Harden pitched well versus the Yanks early last season.

Really? That would be great. Does it somehow defy the laws of physics and sink almost as much as in other parks? If the sinker's been decent at Coors the past few years, that would explain how he's been getting the results (albeit small sample size, hence my worry that he's so far been just lucky at Coors..)

I was wondering about Schilling too. His velocity seems to be back, but I'm not sure if that'd be enough for me to start him in Texas against the big bats..
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:13 am

number9 wrote:

Really? That would be great. Does it somehow defy the laws of physics and sink almost as much as in other parks? If the sinker's been decent at Coors the past few years, that would explain how he's been getting the results (albeit small sample size, hence my worry that he's so far been just lucky at Coors..)

I was wondering about Schilling too. His velocity seems to be back, but I'm not sure if that'd be enough for me to start him in Texas against the big bats..

From what I've seen, Webb still gets nice sink on it even at Coors. I think the advantage is that it's about as hard and fast a pitch with diving movement as you can throw, the other being a splitter. Clemens has also pitched well at Coors in the past. Anyone care to pull up the stats of the best Splitter/Sinker thowing SPs in the game at Coors? It's' my impression that the sinker Webb throws is far and away the best in the game, so maybe it won't rate well...Anyways, I think guys who throw hard, diving stuff do better at Coors, unlike a Sheets type, who relies on a softer and slower curve.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 am

Webb has a career 4.22 ERA, 1.59 WHIP at Coors in 7 starts. Only 3 homers given up in 42.2 IP though.

Clemens has a career 3.78 ERA, 1.56 WHIP at Coors in 3 starts. He's given up 4 homers in 16.2 IP.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby nuggets » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:48 am

bleach168 wrote:Webb has a career 4.22 ERA, 1.59 WHIP at Coors in 7 starts. Only 3 homers given up in 42.2 IP though.

Clemens has a career 3.78 ERA, 1.56 WHIP at Coors in 3 starts. He's given up 4 homers in 16.2 IP.

I chose to eiliminate Webbs starts in Coors from his rookie season. I think it's a more fair way to look at his "Coors effected" stats :-b
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:52 am

nuggets wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Webb has a career 4.22 ERA, 1.59 WHIP at Coors in 7 starts. Only 3 homers given up in 42.2 IP though.

I chose to eiliminate Webbs starts in Coors from his rookie season. I think it's a more fair way to look at his "Coors effected" stats :-b

You are just asking for trouble when you start anyone at Coors. Even if someone does well, it is just a matter of time before he blows up IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 5 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 am

I'd bench B.Webb in Coors if I had him.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:04 pm

Yoda wrote:You are just asking for trouble when you start anyone at Coors. Even if someone does well, it is just a matter of time before he blows up IMO.

I agree. I won't do it anymore, even if it's Santana. Not worth the low odds you get. Nomo threw a no hitter there, yet still has a career Coors era over 7. A 3 year run index of 133, which means runs are 33% more there, then league average. The only other park even close, is Texas at 119.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby nuggets » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:14 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Yoda wrote:You are just asking for trouble when you start anyone at Coors. Even if someone does well, it is just a matter of time before he blows up IMO.

I agree. I won't do it anymore, even if it's Santana. Not worth the low odds you get. Nomo threw a no hitter there, yet still has a career Coors era over 7. A 3 year run index of 133, which means runs are 33% more there, then league average. The only other park even close, is Texas at 119.

If Clemens and Unit weren't so old, I'd start them at Coors every time. Peavy I will continue to. Haven't they proven they can pitch there?

Add Pedro and Oswalt to the Coors start list and Zambrano, if he's pitching well.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby garf112 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:12 pm

I've got four decent starts in the first two days, and I may be crazy, but I'm going to pitch all four.

D. Davis vs. Ol. Perez (Pit)
D. Lowe vs. T. Hudson (Atl)
S. Kazmir @ R. Lopez (Bal)
J. Patterson @ V. Zambrano (NYM)

I figure that's three wins with a decent ERA, WHIP and Ks.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers