Magglio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magglio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:36 pm

Coppermine wrote:
TheOmen wrote:
I just traded him for Matt Clement in one of my deeper leagues; I thought that was quite the steal on my behalf.

Matt stinkin' Clement? :-t

But for Maggs? I have a strong pitching staff already, and he's just insurance. Can't complain.

I'd much rather have Magglio than Clement. I'd be complaining.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:39 pm

So i guess I'm the only one who thinks Maggs will blow this year. I'll take a mediocre pitcher over a potentially useless outfielder any day. Maggs is past his prime AND an injury risk... and guys in the outfield are a dime a dozen. SP's suck this year and I'm in a deep league; I'm taking Clement.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:47 pm

I'd rather have Clement. Ordonez has been nothing but empty BA since that injury and he never had the type of power to put up good HR numbers in a pitchers park. His value comes from BA and the tigers batting him in the middle of the order and not much else.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:14 pm

Clement did nothing since he got nailed by that line drive. His second half was pitiful and a lot of people in Boston don't even want him to start.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Clement definitely had a lousy second half, but Boston is like Philly... a player has a few bad starts and the boo birds take over. Clement's a workhorse and a capable pitcher; he went 10-2 in the first half, and 3-4 in the second. His ERA took a hit, but he has enough potential to be my No. 6 starter in a deep league.

And I'll tell you what; if Maggs hits 15 home runs this year, I'll eat my keyboard. 100 RBI's is laughable considering Detroit's lineup.

All in all, it looks like there are just a bunch of Sox fans bitter over Clement's second half and everyone getting caught up in the hype over high-risk/reward players. I'd call Maggs a high-risk/mediocre-at-best reward at this point... at best.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:45 am

Ender wrote:I'd rather have Clement. Ordonez has been nothing but empty BA since that injury and he never had the type of power to put up good HR numbers in a pitchers park. His value comes from BA and the tigers batting him in the middle of the order and not much else.

Thats right - when someone is injured, they typically dont put up good numbers. When they return to health however, its pretty common for players to return close to form. These last couple years Maggs has been injured - just like you said, but now he's pretty healthy.

coppermine wrote:And I'll tell you what; if Maggs hits 15 home runs this year, I'll eat my keyboard. 100 RBI's is laughable considering Detroit's lineup.

Laughable eh? We'll see. I know a lot of people think Detroit's lineup is pretty dangerous, why do you think otherwise?

Granderson
Polanco
Maggs
IRod
DY
Guillen
Monroe
Shelton
Inge

Thats not exactly chopped liver there, copper.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
coppermine wrote:And I'll tell you what; if Maggs hits 15 home runs this year, I'll eat my keyboard. 100 RBI's is laughable considering Detroit's lineup.

Laughable eh? We'll see. I know a lot of people think Detroit's lineup is pretty dangerous, why do you think otherwise?

Granderson
Polanco
Maggs
IRod
DY
Guillen
Monroe
Shelton
Inge

Thats not exactly chopped liver there, copper.

I agree that's certainly not chopped liver, but it's nothing I'd excited about and I think you're a biased Tigers fan. Maggs, Pudge, DY and Guillen are injury risks. Granderson only stole one base last year which isn't so great for a leadoff speed prospect. The stronger players are Polanco, Monroe and Shelton, and they're mediocre at best. They not chopped liver, but they're not contenders either; and I don't see how Maggs is going to get 100 RBI's unless he stays healthy all year and Polanco plays like he did in Detroit last year.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Ender wrote:I'd rather have Clement. Ordonez has been nothing but empty BA since that injury and he never had the type of power to put up good HR numbers in a pitchers park. His value comes from BA and the tigers batting him in the middle of the order and not much else.

Thats right - when someone is injured, they typically dont put up good numbers. When they return to health however, its pretty common for players to return close to form. These last couple years Maggs has been injured - just like you said, but now he's pretty healthy.

And some players who come back from injuries never regain full strength. Knee injuries are historically bad when it comes to strong recovery as well. I just don't like Magglio as a risk this year. I'd rather have Clement and pick my spots when to start him protecting him against the stronger lineups he faces. I think he has some pretty strong value if used properly.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:25 pm

I don't like Clement at all. Although he should be better than he was in 05, I don't think he will be that good.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Clement is the man - definately Cy Young material.
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers