Magglio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magglio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Magglio

Postby DCNats » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:22 pm

He's been slow to recover from his injury, but does anyone see a possible return to form for him this year?
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UncleIvan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:27 pm

I think it's possible, too early to give a strong answer. My guess is he has a 30-40% chance to get .300/30/100
UncleIvan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:49 pm

I dont think we will ever see the HR totals that he had in Chicago, but his average and RBI opps will certainly be there.

I have him close to 70 Rs, 25 HRs, 110 RBIs and hitting slightly above .300 with minimal SBs.

In most drafts I have seen he is severly underated.

His injury doesnt worry me very much at this point - he's had plenty of time to recover and has been playing regularly in the WBC and since then as well. There was one mention of a very minor flare up yesterday, but it wasnt anything serious.

Danny Knobler on Mlive.com wrote:But it sure seemed like the biggest thing bugging Leyland was that he felt he had made a mistake Sunday. He had Magglio Ordonez DH instead of play right field, and while Ordonez was sitting around between at-bats on a blustery day, he felt his knee stiffen up.

This wasn't a serious problem. Ordonez is fine. He worked out today, and he's on the schedule to go to Vero Beach tomorrow to play the Dodgers. But for a manager who prides himself on perfection (and one just coming off what he calls a ``six-year sabbatical''), this kind of mistake was unacceptable.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/weblog/inde ... tml#125230
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I dont think we will ever see the HR totals that he had in Chicago, but his average and RBI opps will certainly be there.

I have him close to 70 Rs, 25 HRs, 110 RBIs and hitting slightly above .300 with minimal SBs.

His injury doesnt worry me very much at this point - he's had plenty of time to recover and has been playing regularly in the WBC and since then as well. There was one mention of a very minor flare up yesterday, but it wasnt anything serious.

Danny Knobler on Mlive.com wrote:But it sure seemed like the biggest thing bugging Leyland was that he felt he had made a mistake Sunday. He had Magglio Ordonez DH instead of play right field, and while Ordonez was sitting around between at-bats on a blustery day, he felt his knee stiffen up.

This wasn't a serious problem. Ordonez is fine. He worked out today, and he's on the schedule to go to Vero Beach tomorrow to play the Dodgers. But for a manager who prides himself on perfection (and one just coming off what he calls a ``six-year sabbatical''), this kind of mistake was unacceptable.

i think those numbers are pretty reasonable, but not sure he'll crack 100 RBI's.

worries me too that he cant play in the cold
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I dont think we will ever see the HR totals that he had in Chicago, but his average and RBI opps will certainly be there.

i think those numbers are pretty reasonable, but not sure he'll crack 100 RBI's.

worries me too that he cant play in the cold
I see those numbers as his ceiling. I'm seeing low 20's for HR's (making up for some of those HR's with doubles) and he'll probably not start in a handful of games just for days off and therefore probably be flirting with 100 RBI's at best.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:14 pm

UncleIvan wrote:I think it's possible, too early to give a strong answer. My guess is he has a 30-40% chance to get .300/30/100

When was the last time the Tigers had a 30 HR player? I know Young and Pena came close but it's been a while.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheOmen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm

Magglio '06: .307/22/103

My owning him on two teams had no bearing on my prediction whatsoever. :-D
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:32 pm

One of the guys on the espIn fantasy baseball show said that he watched maggs during the WBC and it looked like he could not pivot on his knee.

He said that it seemed as if Maggs was still playing hurt.

This morning I read about him having a hammy injury.
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:33 pm

Yoda wrote:
UncleIvan wrote:I think it's possible, too early to give a strong answer. My guess is he has a 30-40% chance to get .300/30/100

When was the last time the Tigers had a 30 HR player? I know Young and Pena came close but it's been a while.

i dont know and i dont want to go searching because it will just depress me :,-(
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:34 pm

For the price that he's going for this year, I just don't see much risk to him. When it's between him and guys like Aaron Rowand (.270, 15, 15) I just don't see what's not to like about taking a chance on him. He's capable of .300,25,110 still, IMO. Especially because he's hitting 4th in a very impressive lineup. But, he obviously comes with injury concerns, but I wouldn't really call it injury "risk" because that means that you "risked" a lot to get him. Which most of us did not.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers