Got Into an Argument on the Radio Tonight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Got Into an Argument on the Radio Tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Got Into an Argument on the Radio Tonight

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 am

I called up KTRS and talked to their nighttime sports guy. They were talking about Grudz and how Jocketty had said that letting him go was a "baseball move" and not a "money move." They were also discussing the current situation at 2B with the team, but they didn't seem to be getting many calls that I agreed with ( :-D ) so I decided to chime in with my two cents.

First, I let them know that Grudz had a year that by reasonable measures was way above average for him. The "baseball move" that Jocketty was talking about was - imo - a polite way of saying that they did not believe they would get a repeat performance from him. The fact that he went on to get overpaid is ancillary.

After making that astute observation ( B-) ), I decided to lay one last comment on these guys that would get me about 10 seconds of arguing and then a prompt and discourteous disconnection. Here's what I said...

DJ JT wrote:The Cardinals don't necessarily need to go shopping for a second baseman. They already have a good one. He's playing shortstop. Not to take anything away from Eckstein - I think he's an excellent ball player - but in this market, I think it's actually easier to go sign a shortstop than it is to sign a second baseman.

The host of the show went on to whip out fielding % and # of attempts stats to claim that Eckstein was one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, but by the end of their discussion, his co-host was siding with me.

I always thought this was a pretty obvious observation. I never had once considered that it might get two guys going in opposite directions, and pretty vehemently, too, I might add. What do you guys think? Am I out in left field with this notion?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 am

i dont know if it is easier to get a ss or 2b, but eck is better suited for 2b. he has problems making a backhand play and going deep into the hole and throwing to 1st. he seems to get it to first on time but its always close. there is little margin for error. he was a 2b in the minors and at some point will probably end up back there. if a good ss were available i wouldnt hesitate to move eck to 2b.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:11 am

With Furcal in LA, do you think they'd be willing to move Izturis? How much is Izturis making? When's he back from his injury?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby stevethumb » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:00 pm

WAAAAY too much $$ for cizturis..he is $3.1m for 06 and $4.15m for 07 w/ a $5.45m club option for 08 !!! and jocketty thought mgrudzielanek was too expensive ?!?!
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 pm

JTWood wrote:With Furcal in LA, do you think they'd be willing to move Izturis? How much is Izturis making? When's he back from his injury?

they also extended kent. i think izturis is definitely available in trade. he is getting paid to much to sit on the bench and there is no room for him to start. he is supposed to be available to play around mid-may. he is supposedly a defensive wizard, but somewhat suspect with the bat.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:43 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
JTWood wrote:With Furcal in LA, do you think they'd be willing to move Izturis? How much is Izturis making? When's he back from his injury?

they also extended kent. i think izturis is definitely available in trade. he is getting paid to much to sit on the bench and there is no room for him to start. he is supposed to be available to play around mid-may. he is supposedly a defensive wizard, but somewhat suspect with the bat.

I'm sure LA would be willing to eat some of the contract if they could dump him. I saw quite a few Dodger games last year (damn insomnia :*)) and he is definitely a plus defensive SS. He has his moments at the plate, but he seemed out of place in the leadoff position I thought. If he was to hit second or even later in the lineup I think he'd be a little better, but that's just me. Also, weren't the Dodgers trying Kent out at first at the end of last season? :-? Was that just out of necessity or are the plans to move him there full time? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:04 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote: Also, weren't the Dodgers trying Kent out at first at the end of last season? :-? Was that just out of necessity or are the plans to move him there full time? :-?

sort of out of necessity. they really had no one to put at 1b. i dont know if maybe they thought kent was injury concern or wasnt good enough defensively. they have nomar playing 1b now. they have made some weird decisions.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:41 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote: Also, weren't the Dodgers trying Kent out at first at the end of last season? :-? Was that just out of necessity or are the plans to move him there full time? :-?

sort of out of necessity. they really had no one to put at 1b. i dont know if maybe they thought kent was injury concern or wasnt good enough defensively. they have nomar playing 1b now. they have made some weird decisions.

That's right. :*) My brain's fried. :-° :-B
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals