What to do with Josh Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to do with Josh Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do with Josh Beckett

Postby leftfield8 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:38 am

Hey guys,

I am in a 10 team league and I would like to pick up a second catcher. I am still not really sold on Toby Hall. About the only thing I could get rid of is Josh Beckett. Would it be worth it to get rid of him for Mike Lieberthal? Here is my roster -

C - Toby Hall
1B - Sweeney, Palmerio
2B - Vidro, Alfonzo
3B - Chipper, A Ramirez
SS - Nomar, Juan Uribe
OF - Pujols, M Ramirez, Giles, Pierre, Hidalgo, Griffey
SP - Johnson, Buerle, Astacio, Damico, Oswolt, El Duque, K Brown, Beckett
RP - Hoffman, Benetiz

Let me know if you think getting Lieberthal is a good move. Beckett is only averaging 10.7 PPG and I think I could get him through waivers until he gets hot, if he gets hot. Any help would be great! Thanks.
leftfield8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:48 pm

Sometimes having a great team can be tough... I still think very, very highly of Beckett - he has the talent to be a huge force in the league. There are two questions about him: when he'll turn into that force (he'll make some mistakes as he learns), and how many leads Florida's awful bullpen will cost him (see yesterday).

Lieberthal is almost too good to pass up, so I'd probably grab him. Whether to drop Beckett, El Duque, D'Amico or even Hidalgo is a very tough decision, however.

What is your league format? A couple days ago there was a question regarding a head-to-head league in which it turned out that closers have very little value. If something similar holds true in yours, that would solve your problems.

Otherwise (and I'm taking a stab in the dark without knowing your exact scoring), I'd probably actually drop Hidalgo, simply because six outfielders are too many to carry.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby leftfield8 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:05 pm

It's a Fantasy Points Scoring system on Sandbox. Closers are to valuable to drop. I hate to get rid of Hidalgo because Pierre has not done much this year, Griffey is still probably 2 weeks away and he seems to be having a solid season so far. Not for average, but for power numbers. Toby Hall and Lieberthal are almost mirror images of eachother, so it's not like I have to have him. I just like the insurance. I may just have to wait and see if he continues to hit like he has the past few days. If he does, I may go get him. Our league is not that active. I am holding my pitchers pretty tight since Browns status is still undetermined. It's early. Thanks for the help.
leftfield8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:33 pm

Sure thing. It's an awful decision to make: no matter what you do, you'll wind up missing out on a very solid player. And with your stacked team, you'll probably be facing more decisions of this sort over the course of the season. Anyway, can't argue with your wait and see approach. Hope it works out for the best!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:17 pm

I would take a different approach here - what about dropping Aramis Ramirez in favor of Lieberthal.

You have Chipper on 3rd, so you should not need any other one here (besides in case of an injury, but we dont hope that would come into play) plus you have a VERY solid OF, so you dont need Chippers games there. And if you tell us, your league isnt that active, you still might find a very capable 3rd baseman on the wire, especially considering the depth at this position.

On the other hand, I know the Sandbox scoring system, and it really doesnt favor Becketts stats at least this season. For one reason, he will loose many points due to the Marlins bullpen (as Arlo said) - 10 points is a lot, on the other hand, I doubt we see Josh pitch a lot of complete games, as at least till now, they do not overwork his young arm, which too does cost some points in that scoring system.

But all in all I would not put him away, and send Ramirez to the wire. Getting Lieberthal (or maybe another catcher) is almost a must, as you can fill 2 Catcher slots, and you have to fill up that 162 games on that position!
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers