Ryan Zimmerman 3B Nats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Zimmerman 3B Nats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:34 am

warrick95 wrote:He's been so uncharacteristic this ST.

Not uncharteristic. He was just drafted last June so he is a somewhat of a wild card. I all of the scouting reports note that there is long term twenty plus homerun power.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:38 am

thedude wrote:

Not uncharteristic. He was just drafted last June so he is a somewhat of a wild card. I all of the scouting reports note that there is long term twenty plus homerun power.

He played in college already. Not really a wildcard at all. In fact, the thing with Zimmerman that made him an attractive pick was how safe he was. Not much risk, but the upside at the plate was very limited. However, his glove has been compared to Brooks Robinson's, which isn't a comparison that is given very often at all. Considering how close he was to the majors, his production and upside are both fairly predictable. 20+ homers is possible, but the rate he's hitting them at is clearly higher.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:49 am

warrick95 wrote:
thedude wrote:

He played in college already. Not really a wildcard at all. In fact, the thing with Zimmerman that made him an attractive pick was how safe he was. Not much risk, but the upside at the plate was very limited. However, his glove has been compared to Brooks Robinson's, which isn't a comparison that is given very often at all. Considering how close he was to the majors, his production and upside are both fairly predictable. 20+ homers is possible, but the rate he's hitting them at is clearly higher.

It is doubtful can keep this rate up. Even College players have to adjust to the pros. Even the safest college pick (*cough*Ryan Wagner) can dissapoint once they make thier pro debuts and marginal college players (Pujols) can become all stars. Teams have an idea what they have with college players but he is still a twenty one year kid with 300 pro atbats. He is more of a know comidity than say a kid out of highschool, but he not as well know as guys with 3 or more full minor league seasons like Marte and Hermida.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 am

How many posts on this board say don't pay attention to ST stats? There's about a trillion examples why NOT to pay attention to ST stats, and yet tons of posters still do. Mark Teixera's ST numbers are bad, but I'm still gonna draft him in the 1st round...

Zimmerman might be a top 12-15 3B this year.. so draft him if you want sub-par numbers at 3B, but otherwise shouldn't be picked unless in a deep or NL only league (Really, you have him as the 3rd best 3B in the NL CHE?? There's Wright, Ensberg, ARam, Chipper, Rolen, and Atkins who should be ranked ahead of him.)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:19 am

I've heard comparison to John Olerud and Wade Boggs. He won't hurt you but won't give you anything spectacular either, besides maybe a really hight avg. Also, his glove this spring has been surprisingly bad.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby CHE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:22 am

RAmst23 wrote:How many posts on this board say don't pay attention to ST stats? There's about a trillion examples why NOT to pay attention to ST stats, and yet tons of posters still do. Mark Teixera's ST numbers are bad, but I'm still gonna draft him in the 1st round...

Zimmerman might be a top 12-15 3B this year.. so draft him if you want sub-par numbers at 3B, but otherwise shouldn't be picked unless in a deep or NL only league (Really, you have him as the 3rd best 3B in the NL CHE?? There's Wright, Ensberg, ARam, Chipper, Rolen, and Atkins who should be ranked ahead of him.)

HEs my third 3baseman on my NL team. I have CHipper, at third with tracy in OF who will sub in for chipper once he gets hurt ;-7 ANd Zimmermans my third 3baseman, just incase Chipper is hurt and I need to fill up a OF spot ...
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:33 am

Keep in mind the same people who say don't pay attention to ST stats are also bailing on Bobby Jenks left and right. What are they basing their sudden opinion shift on if not spring training?

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:39 am

I think, at his best, he'll be a Gold Glove 3B with .330 AVG and 20-HR power max. While that's great in real life, in fantasy, you can generally do better at the hot corner.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers