At age 19...King Felix is officiallyINJURED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

At age 19...King Felix is officiallyINJURED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:12 am

While we are on the topic of King Felix and injuries, I have read ALOT on his biomechanics during his delivery, and I agree with what alot of the "experts" are saying - it may well be just a matter of time until he starts to have arm problems.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:39 am

I had shin splints in high school during track. I was still able to run with them, so they're not serious by any means. Funny thing, they hurt when I walked, really hurt when I jogged, but I didn't feel much discomfort at all when I sprinted or ran hard.

I am going to go after him in my league...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby garf112 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:37 am

Unfortunately, my friend who owns Felix is a medical doctor. I don't think that I will be able to get a discount on him. :-b
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby tal1286 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 am

I was actually just talking to a girl who is on the track team here and she said that when she was in high school she had shin splints and if they get really bad and are left untreated, they can be a pretty big problem.

In Felix's case, however, I wouldn't worry too much.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 pm

I'll definitly try to buy low! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 pm

How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

I wouldn't think they would be that bad for a pitcher. We can all just be thankful that it wasn't an arm that he hurt.
Dynasty Deacon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard.

My bro was in camp with a minor league team for two seasons as a pitcher and they ran them to death during spring training. It's probably different for big leaguers though. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:35 pm

RynMan wrote:
Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard.

My bro was in camp with a minor league team for two seasons as a pitcher and they ran them to death during spring training. It's probably different for big leaguers though. :-?

Jim Bouton recounts quite a bit of running in "Ball Four"!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

I wouldn't think they would be that bad for a pitcher. We can all just be thankful that it wasn't an arm that he hurt.

Believe it or not, pitching and running go hand in hand. Running after you throw/pitch, gets the blood flowing to your arm which helps reduce the recuperation time. They'll probably switch him to the bike or elliptical after this for a time.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kcs261 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

They just have to be careful with him. I got shin splints so bad playing high school soccer that I ended up with a stress fracture in my right shin that did me in for a good year and a half. To this day (more than a decade only--yes, I'm showing my age), I still have problems with my calves if I don't stretch them out thoroughly and am prone to shin splints when I run without the right kind of shoes.

I have Felix and don't want to panic anybody (and picked him early). I hope he is okay. I could be a rare, rare case. But they better be sure they cut back on the running and get him in running shoes when he runs in practice until he is 100%.
Last edited by kcs261 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers