At age 19...King Felix is officiallyINJURED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

At age 19...King Felix is officiallyINJURED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:12 am

While we are on the topic of King Felix and injuries, I have read ALOT on his biomechanics during his delivery, and I agree with what alot of the "experts" are saying - it may well be just a matter of time until he starts to have arm problems.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:39 am

I had shin splints in high school during track. I was still able to run with them, so they're not serious by any means. Funny thing, they hurt when I walked, really hurt when I jogged, but I didn't feel much discomfort at all when I sprinted or ran hard.

I am going to go after him in my league...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby garf112 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:37 am

Unfortunately, my friend who owns Felix is a medical doctor. I don't think that I will be able to get a discount on him. :-b
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 pm

I'll definitly try to buy low! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 pm

How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

I wouldn't think they would be that bad for a pitcher. We can all just be thankful that it wasn't an arm that he hurt.
Dynasty Deacon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard.

My bro was in camp with a minor league team for two seasons as a pitcher and they ran them to death during spring training. It's probably different for big leaguers though. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:35 pm

RynMan wrote:
Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard.

My bro was in camp with a minor league team for two seasons as a pitcher and they ran them to death during spring training. It's probably different for big leaguers though. :-?

Jim Bouton recounts quite a bit of running in "Ball Four"!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

I wouldn't think they would be that bad for a pitcher. We can all just be thankful that it wasn't an arm that he hurt.

Believe it or not, pitching and running go hand in hand. Running after you throw/pitch, gets the blood flowing to your arm which helps reduce the recuperation time. They'll probably switch him to the bike or elliptical after this for a time.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kcs261 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Dynasty Deacon wrote:How does a pitcher get shin splints? I wouldn't expect him to run himself that hard. I have had shin splints before and they suck. I got them playing 2-3 hours of soccer everyday.

They just have to be careful with him. I got shin splints so bad playing high school soccer that I ended up with a stress fracture in my right shin that did me in for a good year and a half. To this day (more than a decade only--yes, I'm showing my age), I still have problems with my calves if I don't stretch them out thoroughly and am prone to shin splints when I run without the right kind of shoes.

I have Felix and don't want to panic anybody (and picked him early). I hope he is okay. I could be a rare, rare case. But they better be sure they cut back on the running and get him in running shoes when he runs in practice until he is 100%.
Last edited by kcs261 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers