Most waste of talent! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most waste of talent!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Most waste of talent!

Postby cards05 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:29 am

I have always said that Dwight Gooden or Mike Tyson represents the most waste of talent in sports history. As a Cardinal fan, Rick Ankiel is about the biggest waste of talent I have seen lately. He really did have Randy Johnson stuff (well close...) with an amazing curve ball.

What player on your favorite team just never put it together despite the talent. It's so frustrating and I want to hear your thoughts.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:30 am

How about Corey stinkin' Patterson. If that guy didn't have such a problem with Hubris and being in touch with reality he could have ended up a great player on the Cubbies.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cards05 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:37 am

Very good point. I go to school with a die hard Cubs fan and he literally turns white when I mention C. Patt.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:39 am

Umm, I got Ken Griffey, Jr. & Eric Davis. Griffey should be doing what Bonds is attempting and Griffey is legit. Davis had all the tools to be a great player but just coudn't stay healthy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 am

Havok1517 wrote:Umm, I got Ken Griffey, Jr. & Eric Davis. Griffey should be doing what Bonds is attempting and Griffey is legit. Davis had all the tools to be a great player but just coudn't stay healthy.

We don't know Griff is legit. He probably is but really we don't have a way of knowing for sure.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cards05 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:42 am

Yeah, I know what you mean with Griffey. But, his problem has been injuries, not underperformance (well maybe his first year with the reds). At least he has an excuse. Many players have the talent and do not put it together despite injury...
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cards05 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:12 am

Regarding Griffey, the evidence supports that he is clean., There is no way to know he is cleean. However, using lack of evidence of innocence to support guilt is akin to mentioning that there is no way to know for sure that jonhnny bench didn't deal cocaine and then using that as evidence that he did deal cocaine. Sure there's no evidence to support that J. Bench didn't deal cocaine, and then using that as evidence that he did is erroneous. All signs point to Griffey did not take steroids. Taking steroids is a seriousl issue and having a standard where we assume people took them is more than dangerous. In other words, look for evidence of abuse, if its not there, understand that if you accuse, you are accusing someone of having no integrity.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:43 am

cards05 wrote:Regarding Griffey, the evidence supports that he is clean., There is no way to know he is cleean. However, using lack of evidence of innocence to support guilt is akin to mentioning that there is no way to know for sure that jonhnny bench didn't deal cocaine and then using that as evidence that he did deal cocaine. Sure there's no evidence to support that J. Bench didn't deal cocaine, and then using that as evidence that he did is erroneous. All signs point to Griffey did not take steroids. Taking steroids is a seriousl issue and having a standard where we assume people took them is more than dangerous. In other words, look for evidence of abuse, if its not there, understand that if you accuse, you are accusing someone of having no integrity.

I do not believe accusing a player of steroid us is accusing him or her of having no integrity. Steroids are just another group chemicals that when used properly, have a place in everyday society. Doctors commonly prescribe it to patients, it's been refined and proven to have far more benefits than risk.

Also, I am not accusing Griffy of PED use, only pointing out that we don't know who exactly has and hasn't. Don't disregard my "Griff probably didn't take them" statement, please.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:25 am

Biggest waste of talent?

Check out my signature... :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Biggest waste of talent?

Check out my signature... :,-(

didnt Bo blow out his hip though?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers