Challenge League Draft Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Challenge League Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Challenge League Draft Results

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:06 am

Well, it's a tradition and even though we have our own forum now...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 72#1447472

How do you think we did?
Which teams do you like?
Which teams don't you like?
Best pick?
Worst pick?

Just comment in this thread, so we can keep things organized.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:37 am

Bonds to lead off the 4th is too much of a gamble IMO. 6th is where I am more comfortable taking him. (PS where the hell did you find Erboes?)

Tavish taking 2B back to back in rds 3 & 4 is a little strange. I know Kent has 1B eligbility though...

Crisp at 120 is a little low, so Lebowski got a little steal there.

Jenkins around 200 is pretty good also.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:45 am

Tracking down erboes was tricky.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Wasn't thrilled with my 9th slot but could have been worse. I definately had a game plan going in and stuck with it.

Part of the game plan was taking V-Mart in the 2nd round no matter what.

Wagner fell into my lap in round 5. I wasn't planning on taking a closer that early but with 4 closers already gone and Wagner my #1 ranked closer, I couldn't pass up that value.

Rolen in round 6 was kind of a stretch because I didn't want to get stuck with Beltre. Not a big deal as it set me up well for my next 3 picks all of which I was pleased to get.

Just 2 picks away from getting Jenkins. I slammed the table with my fist when NZF robbed me. :-D

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with my team.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Steve-o wrote:Tavish taking 2B back to back in rds 3 & 4 is a little strange. I know Kent has 1B eligbility though...

Pretty aggravating night for me. My kids were singing in church and the service ran way over so I missed the first 6 rounds. Was estatic to see I got Vlad at #7 and that enthusiasm quickly turned to disgust when I saw I got Carp and Soriano in 2 & 3. So I started to grab as many closers as I could get to garner trading value to go along with Carp and Prior when another family problem pulled me away from the computer. Come back to find Counsell, Feliz, Uribe and Kendall were rounding out my bench.

This is going to be a rough season. :-o

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:02 am

Well, I'm not happy with my draft at all. The last two years, my worst draft occurs in the Cafe Challenge. Last year I drafted Nevin, Mag's, Sosa, and Wilkerson. WTF!!!!!!!!!! I did finish in 4th I believe, so I can't be that ticked, but what a horrible draft.

This year, I really don't think I did that much better. I am going to be REALLY active on the free agent list to contend this year.

I guess there is consolation in the fact that I didn't draft as bad as Erboes did. So I won't finish in 12 place for sure. ;-D ;-)
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 am

Two quick observations i see:

V-Mart-R2
Mauer-R7
Varitek-R11

I like V-Mart a lot, but a heavy price was paid to get him considering Varitek went in the 11th.

A. Huff-R7
C.Tracy-R11

I have these guys ranked fairly closely especially since they have the same eligibility (including the impending move to 3b for them both). I think Tracy is better, but it is surprising to see them picked 5 rounds apart. In a 12 team draft I'd expect these two to go in Rounds 8-10, so Huff in the 7th may be a reach and Tracy in the 11th a nice value.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:39 pm

A Couple Best Picks:
6. (68) B. Ryan
12. (144) M. González

Two reliever who went way later than I thought they would. If BJ Ryan had made it to me at that point (a few picks later), even though I didn't really want to take a closer there, I would have. Gonzalez I regret passing up even though I already had two closers. I picked second, so I thought he would last the wrap around back to me and it turns out he didn't.

A Couple Worst Picks:
6. (72) C. Lee
7. (84) K. Foulke & 8. (85) A. Béltre

Prior, Webb, Pettite, and Colon were all available (not to mention some others) when Cliff Lee was taken. I was stunned when Erboes took Foulke and Beltre back to back at the end of the 7th. These two have pretty big upsides but they could be had later (by a few rounds, especially in the case of Beltre) and he passed on talent like Chad and Fransisco Cordero, Isringhausen, Guardado, Trevor Hoffman, Matt Holliday, Griffey, John Patterson, Beckett, Doug Davis, Zito, Sabathia, and Burnett (all before his next pick). With his next pick he picked ANOTHER (bounceback) 3b, Melvin Mora. I just don't get it.

Team analysis:
Kolbsaves- I'm happy with the team I drafted, although I was last year and had to make some major changes to win. Outfield doesn't have any outstanding players, but I have good depth so I should be able to handle slumps and injuries. 3b/SS is a tough situation with Nomar/Barmes/Hillenbrand looking to cover. It could be feast or famine there for me this year. Pitching is very solid, especially starting pitching. My top 5 guys can k upwards of 8 k/9. I only have two closers, so late I tried a couple fliers for saves that might or might not work out.

Mustangs- I really like the rotation here, he found some great value. His bench has some interesting breakout type guys, so if he hits on one that will be good for him. One area that could be lacking is average. Good power throughout.

Marley- Oh man does this guy have some speed. Prince Fielder, Sean Casey [now dropped], and Conor Jackson at first is a huge risk. He has 3/5 of the White Sox rotation, which is interesting. He's weak on closers, having Jenks and Borowski. That might be one closer job between the two. He has some middle relievers to keep his ratios down.

Big Lebowski- This guy had some interesting SP picks. He went with a lot of sleepers there like Bush, Seo, and Silva [who he's now dropped]. He's got a trio of Cincy position players, which is also interesting (although, a fluke I'm sure). All star 1b/2b/3b combo of Helton/Figgins/A Rod he acquired in the first three rounds should do him well.

sinicalypse- Wasn't at the draft on accident and he suffered as a result. Has ZERO closers. A couple of overvalued starters such as Millwood and Willis. Outfield is very solid with Manny/Andruw Jones/Edmonds. Lack of bench depth.

Tavish- Positional players are above average at nearly every position, they're really well rounded. Bench players are marginal with not much room to break out, on the other hand. He took four second year starting pitchers later on (Cain, Duke, Ervin Santana, and Chacin) and I'm interested to see how it works out.

Agree or disagree with my assessments?
I'll do the second half later.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

My Take

Postby Tribe-Fan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:52 pm

As far as my draft is concerned, I went a little off my usual beaten path grabbing Santana at # 5, but I could not pass on his value. I hate drafting pitching early, but Santana is a difference maker.

I wanted to concentrate on steady sticks early, and I think I did that with Ichiro, Berkman, Sizemore and Matsui. I have a few decent bounceback candidates in Chipper, Renteria, Bradley and Mags. I have no moster 40+ HR guy, but a few guys with 30+ potential.

I could have used another stud SP, but FA pitching is deep in a 12-team league. I'll have to do with Santana and Patterson, plus a collection of bounceback guys I like including Vazquez, Odalis Perez, Penny and Clement. I do have 3 closers, but 1 is nicked up (Cordero) and 1 is really nicked up (Benitez) so I may end up with just 1 good one.

I had a few guys taken right before I was going to jump, even Vidro who I was going to take last round as everyone had 2B covered already. He went and I had to settle for Cuddyer, but he is temporary at best.

Overall, I could use a little more power and a little more top-end pitching, but I'll take my chances with this squad.

TF

One side note: The first year of this league everyone hated Erboes' draft, said it sucked. He went on to win by about the largest non-public league margin I can remember seeing. Last year people liked his draft, and he got drubbed. Maybe he was going back to happiness?
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:02 pm

Picks I Don't Like:

VMart - Round 2
Gagne - ROund 3
Bonds - Round 4
Dontrelle - Round 6 (more of a personal preference)
Foulke - Round 7
Beltre - Round 8
MacDougal - Round 16

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers