YAHOO LEAGUES SUCK,hope this doesnt happen in your league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

YAHOO LEAGUES SUCK,hope this doesnt happen in your league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nisly » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:07 pm

I think both public and private leagues suck. 3 friends and I wanted to be in the same league this year in yahoo, so we joined an open private league that consisted of a group of six college students that we didn't know (they know each other though). Bad move. The commish turns into a major a** hat and starts vetoeing every trade. Soon everyone starts bitching and it has now become impossible to pull off any trade. Our message board has turned ugly, i'm not sure how any of these guys are still friends. Finally a guy in the middle of the pack gets tired of it, and drops his entire team. I hate when this happens. I am not earning the studs that I pick up off of the waivers. My fantasy skills did nothing to improve my team. With that said, I had to get in line on the waiver requests or else I was totally sunk in this league. The day after the waivers clear the league leader posts a message saying that he is quitting. He said that he thought the waiver deadline was a day later so he didn't place any requests in time. This guy was in first since week 3 or 4 of the season and was leading the next team by 13 points! What an baby. This league has made me never want to play with strangers again. Only problem is, I only know 3 people who play fantasy baseball. Guess I'm screwed.
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Clevelander » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:20 pm

ive put thought into this and am debating now to grab these guys regardless of the league im in, but rather get all 12's and place in the highest of yahoo leagues overall just for the hell of it. im sure you could do the same. that's about your only goal to do at that point, to just slaughter and make top yahoo rankings.

OVERALL it does suck, im glad im in 2 other leagues that i actually meet once a mth with and we do are trades and pick ups then rather that throughout the season. it makes better that way.
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West Coast Fan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:28 pm

Well guys, I'll take the devil advocate position as well.
So when you hear about the Mets, Baltimore or some other team being out of it, should they be required to hold onto their players until the season is over? Should Ponson not be dealt to a team for a couple of minor league prospects?

We have waiver priorities, which I admit could be bad news if you're 10th and someone drops a bunch of guys and there's a feeding frenzy. Well, in that case, you probably can't get Helton or Soriano but if the guy also drops Folke or Chipper, you just try to get someone who you think you can get.

With the race tight in the AL East, it won't be fair to Toronto if NY gets Ponson or Urgbina.

Maybe you should've made a trade offer when you saw this guy was lagging the field.

It's a tough world out there.
West Coast Fan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Althalius » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:15 pm

private leagues can suck too. I got 1st round pick and so I drafted soriano but a friend of mine kept bitching about how he was such a soriano fan and that i only wanted him for fantasy, blah blah blah. So rather then have him dump his players and ruin the game (not to mention that Yahoo registration was over) I gave in and traded Soriano for Sheff, at most a 2-3 round pick.

Anyway, it worked out in the end when i traded Sheff for Pujols and now im in first with Soriano injured... god works in mysterious ways, n'est pas?
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:35 pm

sinicalypse wrote:so this girl basically was out of it with a 4.5 ERA and a 1.45ish whip. so she'd dump her whole starting staff, get 4-6 pitchers who were FA and starting every day, and eventually she soared from middle of the pack to top in wins and Ks, and she holds me out of 1st by like 5-8 points. i was enfuriated since i spent all this time crafting a scrappy team that barely got 1st with a well rounded attack, and then for the last 1/4 of the season this girl just did quantity over quality and out-started me to the league crown (i couldnt dump my staff... when you've got the quality i had, its just not going to happen)

Sinicalypse -- there are 2 idiots in my league who are already doing that -- picking up trash off the waiver wire in order to gets starts and K's every day. What kind of a rule could be imposed to prevent this? Next season, I'm encouraging my commish to somehow put a rule on that type of crap. I suppose there are those who would say "hey, anything to win" but I think it's a cheesy, cheap way to win and takes some of the fun out of things.
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Althalius_ » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:51 pm

in our league it is impossible because there are around 10 categories for pitching. If you keep picking up guys, u'll win in Innings pitched, Ks, but u'll lose so badly in ERA, Hits, walks, HRs, etc that it isnt worth it.
Althalius_

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:45 am

I'm in the same boat, we have nine pitching categories. Good luck trying to win them all.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:38 pm

BeautifulBrunette wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:so this girl basically was out of it with a 4.5 ERA and a 1.45ish whip. so she'd dump her whole starting staff, get 4-6 pitchers who were FA and starting every day, and eventually she soared from middle of the pack to top in wins and Ks, and she holds me out of 1st by like 5-8 points. i was enfuriated since i spent all this time crafting a scrappy team that barely got 1st with a well rounded attack, and then for the last 1/4 of the season this girl just did quantity over quality and out-started me to the league crown (i couldnt dump my staff... when you've got the quality i had, its just not going to happen)

Sinicalypse -- there are 2 idiots in my league who are already doing that -- picking up trash off the waiver wire in order to gets starts and K's every day. What kind of a rule could be imposed to prevent this? Next season, I'm encouraging my commish to somehow put a rule on that type of crap. I suppose there are those who would say "hey, anything to win" but I think it's a cheesy, cheap way to win and takes some of the fun out of things.

In a roto league you can impose a max innings pitched and in a h2h league you can have a maximum roster move limit. That solves the quantity over quality problem.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:59 pm

The maximun innings pitch rule is good because when the burn up all their innings with trash starters you should have a good chance of passing them in most categories with a quality ptiching staff. The max moves is also good because you simply can't pick up and drop too much. If you do you might screw yourself.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers