YAHOO LEAGUES SUCK,hope this doesnt happen in your league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

YAHOO LEAGUES SUCK,hope this doesnt happen in your league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

YAHOO LEAGUES SUCK,hope this doesnt happen in your league...

Postby Clevelander » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:10 pm

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by: 4 Sheezy (seth_099) Jul 7, 8:10 pm EDT

I'm out like a fat kid in dodge ball, yeah, thats right fantasy baseball blows. its for nerds who can actually update the sh*t all the time. that aint me so once again..Let me make it clear, i am busting outta this league like a boner in sweat pants.

this is what someone in my league wrote...and has now gone to dumping...A-ROD, MUSSINA, HALLADAY, EDMONDS, DUNN, URBINA, and WOLF.

IM FURIOUS ABOUT THIS, i believe i have seen prior discussions earlier about this happening in leagues and was thinking to myself how this has never come about in any league ive been in. thought that to soon. anyway why cant these idiots just leave their teams alone like those that quit and do nothing in the 1st month, to dump them back in the league SUX. just had to vent...
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby red » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:35 pm

Does someone have commissioner powers there? someone in the league or someone at Yahoo?
That happened to a CBS league I was in a few years ago and they put the team back together and managed the team through the rest of the season. (well, they didn't manage well, but at least they kept an active lineup)
Anything that can happen similar?
Throws the whole balance off as soon as those guys come off waivers.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmarley » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:37 pm

I'm guessing it's a public league, so there's no commish to control it...I've had the same problem in every sport for at least one public yahoo league I've been in for the past couple yrs...definitely sucks, especially this late in the game. :-P

At least you can rely on private leagues with friends though...I consider the public leagues to be more of a "filler".
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr.DooM » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:03 pm

This is why I avoid public leagues like the plague. Do whatever it takes to ask, beg, intimidate people you know into a 10-team private league or at least a 5-team AL/NL-only league. Come on, anyone can do this. It will enhance your experience ten-fold. You'll be surprised how well-behaved your league will be when players know they are within vicinity of physical violence.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Clevelander » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:18 pm

well i did put in my plea to do the right thing and leave those players out there on the waivers and if you did by chance make a claim for a player, to drop that claim for the better of the league...

if in fact someone does pick someone up, which has already been commented on that i should just get in line and make a claim like everyone else, I REFUSE TO DO THAT.

i said after that comment that if this does happen i will consider this a game of spades. ILL JUST FOLLOW SUIT, meaning i too will drop studs so the remaining slop teams will prob quit because of the league going to shambles and told them to have fun.
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:21 pm

well, to play devil's advocate, a priv8 league can suck if your commissioner is wack.

last season i came form the bottom of the heap to 1st place with a good well rounded performance. i sat on my waiver claim so i could get prior, i had schilling, padilla, odalis perez... miguel tejada and eric chavez. palmeiro. there's only one problem, this one team that was perennially in 1st until i got there was run by the commish's GF. so there were 2 trades to help her out rather blatantly (from the commish to her) so once i got 1st, i believe, one day later there's no inning limit. so this girl basically was out of it with a 4.5 ERA and a 1.45ish whip. so she'd dump her whole starting staff, get 4-6 pitchers who were FA and starting every day, and eventually she soared from middle of the pack to top in wins and Ks, and she holds me out of 1st by like 5-8 points. i was enfuriated since i spent all this time crafting a scrappy team that barely got 1st with a well rounded attack, and then for the last 1/4 of the season this girl just did quantity over quality and out-started me to the league crown (i couldnt dump my staff... when you've got the quality i had, its just not going to happen)

so long story short, i bitched my ass off over that part of the season, the girl said i ruined fantasy baseball for her and everyone ganged up against me. the whole crew (~5 people who are all college friends) wont play with me anymore.. but yeah, i mean, thats the kind of crap you can have if you have a wack comissioner as opposed to a non-existant one.

this season, i'm 3 leagues i'm 4/12, 1/10, and 1/12, and i'm far from looking back at this point. for what it's worth, the 4/12 league is the public league... there's a super-team with basically straight 11s and 12s across the board offensively, and mainly 10s-8s on pitching to hold a 30 point advantage over about 4 of us who rotate in from 2nd-5th place on a day to day basis.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby red » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:52 pm

sinicalypse wrote:well, to play devil's advocate, a priv8 league can suck if your commissioner is wack...
this one team that was perennially in 1st until i got there was run by the commish's GF. so there were 2 trades to help her out rather blatantly (from the commish to her) so once i got 1st, i believe, one day later there's no inning limit.

Well, when the commish changes the rules on ya-- you just got a plain old bad commish and a crappy situation. In general, I think it's true what's been said here-- private leagues between friends who have to see each other and respect each other on a fairly regular basis tend not to have the same problems as public.
That said, however, sometimes the "service" (yahoo, CBS, whoever) can step in so that the league doesn't get ruined by one crappy owner who wants to ruin a public league.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Clevelander » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:36 am

now its done... the guy that made the comment of getting in line to make my claims couldnt handle my objection of dumping my team as well and to have fun. HE NOW HAS DUMPED HIS ENTIRE TEAM.

BOTTOM LINE as some of you have said...YAHOO PUBLIC LEAGUES SUCK...

at least football is around the corner and i run that so screw public.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby orangecrushv » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:44 am

i like doing the private leagues as well, it gets even better if you can put a winner's prize pool together, people (even your friends) are less likely to ditch the league if they've put up about $20 bucks to play.... unless you have very generous friends :P

-rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ExcitedSoutherner » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:55 am

Public leagues suck. From now on do your own private league and invite people to join if you want. At least that way you will still have control over the league if something crazy like that happens. I say just delete your team. I believe that you should still have that option.
ExcitedSoutherner
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers