My draft strategy, and how things went - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My draft strategy, and how things went

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reenum » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am

Iconoclastic wrote:I actually have a system I use to stream SP off waivers with and over the course of a season I get about 3.8 ERA and 1.25 WHIP out of these WW pickups. So with them and a few of my undervalued SP panning out I figure to dominate offense and be average in pitching, good enough to win any league.

Please do share your system. It seems like I'm going to lose my shirt because of Torrealba and my horrid pitching staff. :-b
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reenum » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 am

Guys, I concede that my ptiching is terrible. That's why I took this route. I will be actively remaking my pitching staff over the course of the year. So, hopefully by August, I should have a solid squad all around.

Pods is already on the trading block for a SP.

I think the suggestions of Cabrera and Hernandez are good ones. Actually, the guy who drafted Hernandez dropped him for Granderson. Maybe I should go ahead and pick him up.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:02 pm

reenum wrote:Guys, I concede that my ptiching is terrible. That's why I took this route. I will be actively remaking my pitching staff over the course of the year. So, hopefully by August, I should have a solid squad all around.

I think the suggestions of Cabrera and Hernandez are good ones. Actually, the guy who drafted Hernandez dropped him for Granderson. Maybe I should go ahead and pick him up.

You should have already dropped Torrealba or Hermida (who is all hype at this point whereas Granderson has already produced) for Granderson. Any time you can find a guy hitting 1-4 in the lineup who is also a good batter in general, you should jump on him. I'd rather have Doumit over Torrealba, frankly. Doumit has power and an excellent eye for pitches (his average in ST is mediocre, but he's walking up a storm-- and those batted balls will eventually start dropping for hits).

On your general strategy of focusing on batters/closers first and starters later, I agree with it. Way more continuity with batters year to year. I am always able to pick up starters during their breakout years-- Santana, Carpenter, Contreras, Garland, etc. over the past few years because they are coming off bad seasons or stumble out of the gate in ST or April and are dropped or never drafted. Guys like Todd Helton, for example-- all those 1st and 2nd round bats-- are Mr. Reliable. My problem is that I'd go with guys like Jason Vargas, Dave Bush, Madson, etc. over some of the guys you drafted. Haren, though, is a total stud.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:22 pm

reenum wrote:Guys, I concede that my ptiching is terrible. That's why I took this route. I will be actively remaking my pitching staff over the course of the year. So, hopefully by August, I should have a solid squad all around.

Webb and Haren are likely to be studs this year!! OHudson (who I saw taking the Cubs deep yesterday, FWIW...) is a vacuum at 2B and Webb is a GB pitcher whose 'hole' has been lefties. Obviously, Hudson won't stop the HR vs lefties but I think him and Haren will both rock this year. I just missed the boat on Webb in drafts so far... :-D

For C, you should look at JValentin who will be filling in for LaRue at C until Larue recovers from surgery. Last year Valentin had 14 HR and hit .281 for 221 A/B...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:29 pm

reenum wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:I actually have a system I use to stream SP off waivers with and over the course of a season I get about 3.8 ERA and 1.25 WHIP out of these WW pickups. So with them and a few of my undervalued SP panning out I figure to dominate offense and be average in pitching, good enough to win any league.

Please do share your system. It seems like I'm going to lose my shirt because of Torrealba and my horrid pitching staff. :-b

Sorry, trade secret. Maybe after I retire from fantasy baseball :-)
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MentalPowerHouse » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm

How did Vernon Wells drop so low?
MentalPowerHouse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reenum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:55 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:
reenum wrote:

Sorry, trade secret. Maybe after I retire from fantasy baseball :-)

Lol. I understand totally, my man. Hopefully, I can have the smarts to devise a similar formula. :-D
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reenum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm

MentalPowerHouse wrote:How did Vernon Wells drop so low?

A lot of the guys in my league don't really see between the numbers. They've seen that Wells has had somewhat mediocre stats (at least compared to other AL OFs), and wrote him off.

I thought about it, and I think Bonds is the only guy guaranteed to thrive with the sort of lineup protection Wells had since Delgado left.

Now, with Overbay and Glaus on board, I think Wells should put up 30-100 this season.

Unfortunately, most of the guys are in such a hurry when making picks that they fail to key in on a guy like Wells.

Say what you may about my strategy (and I appreciate the feedback), but I found myself a lot more relaxed this season. Even though the rankings weren't my own and my team may turn out to be total crap, I had fun drafting and I think I picked up some gems along the way.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby one ton » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:32 pm

you did make a few mistakes, but your offense is definitely solid. vernon wells in round 10 is a ridiculous steal. his ESPN adp is 69. interesting post...
one ton
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

I also

Postby jvmillion83 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:43 pm

punted starters in the first 10 rounds almost. I drafted Roy Oswalt Round 2 of a 5x5 13 team league but didn't draft a starter until Kazmir in rd 11.

C- Willingham
1B- Konerko
2B- Weeks
SS- Crosby
3B- Aramis Ramirez
OF- Miguel Cabrera
OF- Adam Dunn
OF- Holliday
Util- Atkins
B- Gathright

SP- Oswalt
SP- Kazmir