My FIRST EVER fantasy team, how dose it look??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My FIRST EVER fantasy team, how dose it look???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My FIRST EVER fantasy team, how dose it look???

Postby Larry Bigbie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:58 pm

10 person, 5x5, roto league on ESPN.

P- Johan Santana
P- Roy Halladay
P- Danny Haren
P- Doug Davis
P- Scott Kazmir
P- Daniel Cabrera
P- BJ Ryan
P- Chris Ray
P- Mike Timlin
P- (on bench) Tim Wakefield

C- Victor Martinez
1B- Prince Fielder
2B- Mark Ellis
3B- Garret Atkins
SS- Michael Young
OF- Ichiro
OF- Grady Sizemore
OF- Joey Gathright
OF- Jeff Francoeur
OF- Jay Gibbons
2B/SS- Craig Biggio
1B/3B- Jason Giambi
UTIL- Johnny Gomes
Bench- Rocco Baldelli
Bench- BJ Upton

I have a second team for a different draft, so any suggestions or comments? And please rate it I'm not sure if it sucks or if it's great (im thinin' its great though.)
Larry Bigbie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Well if this is honestly your first draft you did pretty good,

I'll start with your pitching since it's ontop,

I love your first 3 pitchers (Johan,Roy,Dan) after that it drop's but not too much. Closers are decent, should keep you in the top 3 or 4 in that area, If your hanging on to Timlin b/c he might close I'd drop him, b/c Bos will goto a rotating closers job if Foulke goes down again if not trade for someone. And Wakefeild isn't good enough to be even on the bench in a 10 team league, There has got to be a better pitcher on the wire.

You need upgrades at 1b and 2b, Gotta be better on the wire or someone holding 2 or 3 and willing to move. Atkins is a decent 3B but watch his numbers very close, if he gets off to a slow start move him either by trade or waiver wire,

OF is decent should keep you active, your 1b/3b and 2b/ss are average and will be suitable.

BJ Upton may not only not be the starting SS he might be starting in the minors this year, I'd look for a replacement for him on the wire,

But your team is decent and might do ok,

Please rank my team link below

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Larry Bigbie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Im keeping Prince Fielder because I think he'll have a big year, and I can get Bill Hall off of waivers to replace Ellis should I? (I really think Ellis will have a great year though but I have no depth at 2nd.) And instead of Wakefield should I get a closer but who? 'Closers' availble:Dustin Hermanson but I dont think he'll close (ive heard Ozzie is fond on Bobby Jenks though) and Baez is available but he wont be closing.
Larry Bigbie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ax64man » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:27 pm

I wish that i had something better to say but i have to agree that timlin and wakefield shouldnt be on the roster, upton has a ton of potential but he isnt going to see the field until september, baldelli is a decent guy to have on the bench, if he gets off to a good start you can play him or trade him.

Ellis is a weak option at second, hall would be a good pickup, exccept there is no gaurntee on how many at bats he is going to get. Baez might not be such a bad pickup, gange is coming off of Tommy J so he might not be 100 percent or he could reaggrevate the injury.

The other big thing i notice is that you are hurting on power. Fielder is going to hit 40 hr's eventualy but it wont be this year, gathwright is fast as anyone but he isnt going to be gaurnteed any PT.

You may want to trade some speed for some power.

Other than that looks pretty solid, like the pitching, another closer wouldnt hurt with ray comming on with no exp, but good luck finding help there...

Feel free to look at my team and offer opinions
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180379
Too poor/cheap to play the good leagues, guess i will settle for the Yahoo winners circuit...
ax64man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheNSFBB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:55 pm

Your first draft is a first draft. Your roster is filled with good fantasy players. But I think you're going to have a tough time because you didn't build a competitive team.

Your biggest problem is a lack of power. Your top six picks were probably Johan, Young, Ichiro, Sizemore, Victor, and Halladay, right? You have no high end power there. It makes it really tough to compete with teams that have a Teixeira, Utley, Aramis, and Konerko, along with a Reyes and a Harden. You're really dependent on the power guys you have maxing out their potential. If Giambi spends some time on the DL, or if Gomes and/or Fielder take this year to hit 25HR before they begin hitting 30+, you're going to be behind some other teams. There are probably 3-4 teams that have major power on their roster, and 1-2 of them are going to emerge with solid pitching even if it doesn't look that way yet. So even if you beat one of those guys by a point or two in ERA and Ks, they're easily going to make up for it in HR and RBI.

Your second problem is that you're short 1-2 CL. With ten teams you should have 3 to compete and 4 to be a top team. You're sporting two. Check a closer watch against your waiver wire and pick any starting guys, even if it's just Burgos for now.

Third, you have some guys that don't bring much to your team. Wakefield and even DCab are prettty useless with your first five starters. Timlin isn't worth much, just speculation that he'll cover for Foulke. And Upton probably won't be in the majors (=zero stats). I'd start by dropping Wakefield for a closer or top setup guy, then benching DCab. I'd also drop Timlin for another closer if somehow there are two available. And lastly I'd be ready to move Upton for the first guy who starts hitting homeruns once the season starts.

So basically, try to add a few more major sluggers and back off the pitching guys just a little in tomorrow's draft. It's not that you can't win with this team, it's just that you're way more likely with some adjustments.
TheNSFBB
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Larry Bigbie » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:02 am

should I trade a great pitcher for a great bat, theirs a guy in our league with lots of hitting but NO pitching, and Im talking about NO pitching (their #1 starter is Bruce Chen)
Larry Bigbie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team