Yet another college topic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yet another college topic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yet another college topic

Postby da1chipo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:30 pm

I've just started looking at schools, and I'm wondering if you guys can tell me anything you know about the following colleges, good or bad. Sorry to be so vague, but I don't really know what to ask.

I've visited Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Penn, Swarthmore, and Yale. Georgetown really wasn't for me; too much of its focus was its being in DC, and I'm not really into all that stuff. I'm also visiting Cornell, Dartmouth, and Tufts in the future.

So if you guys could tell me anything you know about any of those schools that you think could be helpful, don't hesitate.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:32 pm

what's your field of interest? that will make a big difference in where your focus should be.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:33 pm

you should pick georgetown. They got the best basketball program.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby da1chipo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:37 pm

RugbyD wrote:what's your field of interest? that will make a big difference in where your focus should be.

As they say, "Undecided". I'm definitely not a humanities type, and I always figured I'd be in engineering, but I've been pulling away from that recently towards nothing in particular. I figure I'll eventually be in business or engineering though. I do want to keep my options open at school, and I'd prefer not to have to specify a major beforehand, like you have to do at Cornell to go to engineering school.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 pm

da1chipo wrote:
RugbyD wrote:what's your field of interest? that will make a big difference in where your focus should be.

As they say, "Undecided". I'm definitely not a humanities type, and I always figured I'd be in engineering, but I've been pulling away from that recently towards nothing in particular. I figure I'll eventually be in business or engineering though. I do want to keep my options open at school, and I'd prefer not to have to specify a major beforehand, like you have to do at Cornell to go to engineering school.

if you think you might go down the business track, Penn is the place to go. Wharton is tough to beat. I don't know what Hopkins' engineering is like, but don't bother with them for business, same with Georgetown. Not familiar with the other schools' strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think you can go wrong here whatever you do.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DC nats05 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 pm

I've visited Cornell about 3 times (twice for school field trips) and it is very very cold up there. I see that you live in NY so you might know what I'm talking about. However, Cornell has a really beautiful and nice campus, and being an Ivy league school doesn't hurt either. Overall, Cornell is one of the best schools there is, they have great traditions, and I heard that they have a good hockey program too ;-D
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RyanK » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:45 pm

notta bad list of schools there.. what about columbia or colby.. or do you not want to really look liberal arts? i dont think columbia is a liberal arts school but i know colby is..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:31 am

I live right near Stanford, I'm a huge Stanford sports fan, and spend a lot of time on or near the campus. Although I'm still in high school, I can say with confidence that you won't regret it if you go there. The campus, as I'm sure you saw when you went there, is gorgeous, and the facilities for the students are top notch. The athletics program is also one of the top in the country (won the sears cup for best overall athletic program something like 11 years in a row) if that makes a difference to you. The area around the campus (which is really a small town itself), which is my hometown, is very nice. SF is only a short car or train ride away, Sacramento not too far, and SoCal is still within driving range. If you have any questions about the area, campus, facilities, etc feel free to ask. I can't really answer questions about the classes and stuff since I don't go there :-b but anything else ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Yet another college topic

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:03 am

Holy crap man. what HS do you go to?

Anyways, if you thinking about business/engineering id say take a shot at UPenn or Cornell. Cornell isn't great for business, but if you do end up going for engineering, nowhere better. UPenn's busniess school is probably the best in the whole country and i dont think it's engineering is too shabby.

If you're looking at these schools you probably have amazing grades (you'll need them to get in) and top SATs. You really cant go wrong with any of them. Narrow down your choices by choosing places where you'd want to dorm. I know people that are bored as hell at Cornell @ Ithaca. If you like the peace and quiet go to a college in a small town. If you want West coast go there. If you love the city life (more parties, more people) go to UPenn in Phili. Good luck man.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Yet another college topic

Postby acsguitar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:11 am

da1chipo wrote:I've just started looking at schools, and I'm wondering if you guys can tell me anything you know about the following colleges, good or bad. Sorry to be so vague, but I don't really know what to ask.

I've visited Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Penn, Swarthmore, and Yale. Georgetown really wasn't for me; too much of its focus was its being in DC, and I'm not really into all that stuff. I'm also visiting Cornell, Dartmouth, and Tufts in the future.

So if you guys could tell me anything you know about any of those schools that you think could be helpful, don't hesitate.

Georgetown is nice..but DC sucks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk