Explain to me why this story is front page worthy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Explain to me why this story is front page worthy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Explain to me why this story is front page worthy?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Isn't the front page of newspapers reserved for, em, important news. And maybe bizarre news sometimes? I don't even understand why the following news is in the newspaper in the first place much less in the front page of the KC Star. Am I missing something here?

KC Star wrote:Sister, brother join Army at same ceremony
By LEE HILL KAVANAUGH
The Kansas City Star

She hopes she won’t throw up. Hopes she won’t burst into tears. Tells herself to be strong.
This is her kids’ day. The day they join the Army.
Tracey Bickle Scott of Grandview fidgets with her daughter’s digital camera as both her children sign papers in a nearby room.
Are the batteries working? What if something goes wrong? What if this is a mistake?
No, she tells herself. Don’t go down that “what if” road. This is a proud day.
In just a few moments on this Thursday, her children Kyle, 23, and Jess, 22, graduates of Lee’s Summit High School, will do something rare, possibly unprecedented: Together, as brother and sister, they will take the oath to serve their country. No one at Kansas City’s Military Processing Center, near Kansas City International Airport, can remember another time when two siblings joined in one ceremony.
And no one will be prouder than their mom.
Except maybe their dad, Bob Scott of Overland Park, who is pretty proud too, with his own camera slung around his neck, focusing and refocusing.
Jess appears first after finishing the piles of paperwork. She’ll wait for her brother and they’ll raise their right hands together.
Mother and daughter embrace. Tracey wraps her arms around her only daughter.
“So … you’re gonna do it. … I’m so proud of you,” she whispers into Jess’ ear.
“You can back out if you want.”
The two look at each other. Two petite blond women with brown eyes that could bore holes through steel. Nearly identical twins, separated by a couple of decades of life, but united now in the seriousness of the moment.
“No, I can’t,” says the daughter.
She has no regrets. Not now. Not yesterday, and especially not in the tomorrows to come. Just the day before she had said how proud she would be to serve her country, hopefully as a nurse, to go to Iraq and take care of the wounded and sick no matter whether they were American or Iraqi. She believes in what America is doing.
Tracey Scott smiles deeply. Her daughter, so young, so brave. Where did it come from?
Even before she takes the oath, Jess Scott has been rewarded: She is $22,000 richer, and her $32,000 in unpaid college loans are now the Army’s debt. Kyle Scott received a $24,000 signing bonus and has the opportunity to finish college on the Army’s tab, after he serves. But even these perks, their mother knows, aren’t enough if harm comes.
Around 2:20 p.m., a crowd of Scott friends and family members assembles in the lobby of the processing center. Kyle completes his paperwork. He strides toward them, his head shaved, his muscular arms eager to give a hug. Kyle, a former walk-on football player from Pittsburg State, smiles so wide his dimples appear. He sees his best friend, his favorite cousin. He scoops up her toddlers and kisses them hard.
There is no second guessing for the Scott siblings. The only doubts come from the people who love them.
Both Scott siblings have parsed and prayed and weighed their choices about dedicating four years of their lives to serve America. To fight a war. To try to make the world better, to support their president.
The loudspeaker calls for Scott and Scott to report to the admissions desk. Brother and sister follow a uniformed soldier into the ceremony room for a few quick lessons on how to snap to attention, how to relax their arms by their sides, how to stand at ease.
Outside the room, Tracey Scott reads again a quote posted on the wall. Colin Powell: Just ordinary men and women making an extraordinary commitment to their nation.
An officer motions for the entourage to enter, then yells out: “Uh-Ten-HUT!
Brother and sister snap their feet together, standing straight and tall.
The room is tomb silent except for a few coughs, a few shuffles in the audience, a few tears as more than one person struggles with emotions of pride and apprehension, sensing something extraordinary.
“Raise your right hand…”
Tracey Scott puts her own hand over her heart. Hoping it won’t break.

:-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:55 pm

In just a few moments on this Thursday, her children Kyle, 23, and Jess, 22, graduates of Lee’s Summit High School, will do something rare, possibly unprecedented: Together, as brother and sister, they will take the oath to serve their country. No one at Kansas City’s Military Processing Center, near Kansas City International Airport, can remember another time when two siblings joined in one ceremony.
I find it hard to beilve that during the Second world or first world war (when millions of young men signed up in short periods of time to join the army) that no set of siblings every took their their oaths together. :-?

I Also think that at least once before a brother and a sister must have joined the army together.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Explain to me why this story is front page worthy?

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:56 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Isn't the front page of newspapers reserved for, em, important news. And maybe bizarre news sometimes? I don't even understand why the following news is in the newspaper in the first place much less in the front page of the KC Star. Am I missing something here?

KC Star wrote:Sister, brother join Army at same ceremony
By LEE HILL KAVANAUGH
The Kansas City Star

She hopes she won’t throw up. Hopes she won’t burst into tears. Tells herself to be strong.
This is her kids’ day. The day they join the Army.
Tracey Bickle Scott of Grandview fidgets with her daughter’s digital camera as both her children sign papers in a nearby room.
Are the batteries working? What if something goes wrong? What if this is a mistake?
No, she tells herself. Don’t go down that “what if” road. This is a proud day.
And no one will be prouder than their mom.
Except maybe their dad, Bob Scott of Overland Park, who is pretty proud too, with his own camera slung around his neck, focusing and refocusing.
Jess appears first after finishing the piles of paperwork. She’ll wait for her brother and they’ll raise their right hands together.
Mother and daughter embrace. Tracey wraps her arms around her only daughter.
“So … you’re gonna do it. … I’m so proud of you,” she whispers into Jess’ ear.
“You can back out if you want.”
The two look at each other. Two petite blond women with brown eyes that could bore holes through steel. Nearly identical twins, separated by a couple of decades of life, but united now in the seriousness of the moment.
“No, I can’t,” says the daughter.
She has no regrets. Not now. Not yesterday, and especially not in the tomorrows to come. Just the day before she had said how proud she would be to serve her country, hopefully as a nurse, to go to Iraq and take care of the wounded and sick no matter whether they were American or Iraqi. She believes in what America is doing.
Tracey Scott smiles deeply. Her daughter, so young, so brave. Where did it come from?
Even before she takes the oath, Jess Scott has been rewarded: She is $22,000 richer, and her $32,000 in unpaid college loans are now the Army’s debt. Kyle Scott received a $24,000 signing bonus and has the opportunity to finish college on the Army’s tab, after he serves. But even these perks, their mother knows, aren’t enough if harm comes.
Around 2:20 p.m., a crowd of Scott friends and family members assembles in the lobby of the processing center. Kyle completes his paperwork. He strides toward them, his head shaved, his muscular arms eager to give a hug. Kyle, a former walk-on football player from Pittsburg State, smiles so wide his dimples appear. He sees his best friend, his favorite cousin. He scoops up her toddlers and kisses them hard.
There is no second guessing for the Scott siblings. The only doubts come from the people who love them.
Both Scott siblings have parsed and prayed and weighed their choices about dedicating four years of their lives to serve America. To fight a war. To try to make the world better, to support their president.
The loudspeaker calls for Scott and Scott to report to the admissions desk. Brother and sister follow a uniformed soldier into the ceremony room for a few quick lessons on how to snap to attention, how to relax their arms by their sides, how to stand at ease.
Outside the room, Tracey Scott reads again a quote posted on the wall. Colin Powell: Just ordinary men and women making an extraordinary commitment to their nation.
An officer motions for the entourage to enter, then yells out: “Uh-Ten-HUT!
Brother and sister snap their feet together, standing straight and tall.
The room is tomb silent except for a few coughs, a few shuffles in the audience, a few tears as more than one person struggles with emotions of pride and apprehension, sensing something extraordinary.
“Raise your right hand…”
Tracey Scott puts her own hand over her heart. Hoping it won’t break.

:-?

Hey, it's better than the typical death toll of troops that papers celebrate on the front page. It's refreshing to see some POSITIVE news on the front page for once.

I'm proud of this woman's kids.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:56 pm

thedude wrote:
I find it hard to beilve that during the Second world or first world war (when millions of young men signed up in short periods of time to join the army) that no set of siblings every took their their oaths together. :-?

I Also think that at least once before a brother and a sister must have joined the army together.

But that's no reason for it to make the news, much less front page
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:55 pm

I'd rather see front page news like this than the usual negative spin on our troops' efforts.

;-D We're proud of you Kyle and Jess. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'd rather see front page news like this than the usual negative spin on our troops' efforts.

But is it really NEWS when 2 sibling register to serve their country? Which happens, just about everyday to about anybody?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:14 pm

It's not really newsworthy, and definitely not front page-worthy. It was probably a slow news day.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It's not really newsworthy, and definitely not front page-worthy. It was probably a slow news day.

Agreed. I don't get it either. No news in KC, huh? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'd rather see front page news like this than the usual negative spin on our troops' efforts.

I agree 100%

I say plaster this all over the front page.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

But is it really NEWS when 2 sibling register to serve their country? Which happens, just about everyday to about anybody?

What is news for you isnt news for other and the other way around.

There has been way too much time spent on this thread. Are we all that bored ourselves?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk