I've got closers...but do I have the whole package here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I've got closers...but do I have the whole package here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I've got closers...but do I have the whole package here?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:12 am

12 team 5x5 roto league 1250 max ip

Yahoo Public 12 team 5x5 roto

C J. Willingham (Fla - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
2B C. Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF)
3B A. Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
SS J. Peralta (Cle - SS)
OF A. Rowand (Phi - OF)
OF C. Granderson (Det - OF)
OF R. Baldelli (TB - OF)
Util C. Tracy (Ari - 1B,OF)
BN I. Kinsler (Tex - SS)

SP R. Dempster (ChC - SP,RP)
SP C. Zambrano (ChC - SP)
RP B. Ryan (Tor - RP)
RP E. Gagne (LAD - RP)
P B. Fuentes (Col - RP)
P J. Valverde (Ari - RP)
P M. González (Pit - RP)
BN R. Johnson (NYY - SP)
BN J. Bonderman (Det - SP)
BN K. Escobar (LAA - SP,RP)
BN F. Liriano (Min - SP)

I had the #2 pick and had 3/4 of my infield done in the first 3 picks (Pujols, Figgins, ARam). There was a slight run on SP's and when it came back to me I couldn't pass up Zambrano and RJ in the 4th and 5th (just too much value there as well as a depleted SP list at that point). I got BJ Ryan at the tail end of a closer run and Peralta on the way back finishing my IF. At that point I realized there was plenty of value to be had at C, OF and #3/4 SP's later in the draft so in 5 of the next 6 rounds I went ahead and took the only other position I needed - closer.

My C ended up being Willingham and I got a pretty good OF of Rowand, Granderson and Baldelli along with Tracy in Util and Kinsler on the bench to make sure I have a guy that can cover any position that goes down. My back end of my SP ended up being good as well with Bonderman, Escobar and Liriano. I figured between Escobar and Liriano I'd have the IP of one SP which will work out really well.

Obviously this team will dominate in the saves department. But all of these closers are guys that run at about a k per inning. They also have low enough era's and whips to lead in a lot of leagues. Stack a strong top end of the SP and a pretty solid bottom end and I should be in great shape in most of the pitching categories.

Finally this IF is one of the better I've ever drafted with Pujols, Figgins, ARam and Peralta. Willingham has a good chance to be one of the top 5-8 catchers in the league and my OF gives me 3 nice 15-20hr/15-20sb guys that will fill in those stats nicely.

I don't really see a weakness on this team other than lack of offensive depth and I figure that if anyone gets hurt and I need the depth I'll have a very tradeable commodity in saves that I can deal away to fill needs. I'll also keep my eye out for opportunities to buy low on better OF'ers in 2-1 deals packaging an OF'er with one of my closers and then speculating on new closers off the FA list with the free spot.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redsoxfan4life64 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:38 am

make sure u realize that dempster isnt a starting pitcher for one, im sure u do but just in case. your infield is amazing and would crush anyone elses infield in a second, but your outfield would worry me unless rowand can have 04 numbers and granderson and baldelli pan out to be any good at all. i would defintely trade a closer or two and try and get an offensive outfielder that will pound the ball.

check my team out!! thanks
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=180023
redsoxfan4life64
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:45 am

Yeah, Dempster was actually critical to my strategy - he's the only guy with a closer job right now that's SP eligible. It's a daily changes league so I can have all 6 of my closers in the lineup as long as I don't have 2 of my SP's pitching that day.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby redsoxfan4life64 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:52 pm

i just dont really see the point of having that many closers, sure you will win the saves categorey with that stragety but your wins and ERA might take a hit a little to much.
redsoxfan4life64
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:09 pm

Those closers won't hurt era...in fact most closers don't. Out of my list of 6 I'd only expect Dempster to have a possibly negative effect on era/whip. The rest should be overwhelmingly positive.

W's is an issue but this is a roto league with a 1250 max IP. You simply trade off the closers for upgrades elsewhere once you've built up to a certain level of saves. I actually did this in a league last year and it worked out well but last year I didn't draft 6 closers...I picked enough up off of waivers to have 6 at one point. I actually ended up with about 10 different closers over the course of the year as I'd pick up each new one, trade for a decent upgrade (not ripping people off...just moving a closer for reasonable upgrade value in 2-1 deals) and then using the open slot to pick up a new closer. It's just that this year I did it right at the draft simply because it was too early to take the OF'ers, C and SP's I wanted at that point in the draft. Instead I took closers and still got the guys I wanted to fill out the rest of my roster.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NY1b23 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:20 pm

You're not going to need 6 closers to win saves in a 12-team roto league. You could win it, or at least be in 2nd or 3rd, with 4 closers, so the other 2 are just surplus. I would package a closer and an OF to upgrade an OF spot. Actually, I would do that twice.

Please rate my team:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=180265
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:36 pm

I like your team and your strategy.

The only weakness I can see cropping up is the unknowns in your OF.

You have 3 guys with great upside, but no real talent there.

Personally I prefer to have at least 1 proven performer in my OF and the other 2 slots with good potential.

Other than that good team, and good knowledge of your league settings will get you at least a top 3 finish.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team