Yay, the GOOD Sports Weekly Fantasy rag is out now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yay, the GOOD Sports Weekly Fantasy rag is out now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yay, the GOOD Sports Weekly Fantasy rag is out now

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Not that POS Fantasy guide.

This is my annual tradition - my final research material. Something with a print date of something other than Jan or god forbid Dec.

I think more than anything this gets me in the mood and I love their draft results stuff. Shows you what ideas are floating around about players with less time before the actual season starts.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:14 pm

It's a great resource but last year the really shortened it and charged like $5 for it. I passed.

Is it like the former versions again?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 279)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 pm

See, I got confused last year like you are now. There is a Fantasy Guide they do at the same time as the other big mags that costs like $5. That is the worst guide in the history of mankind.

But then they still do their "fantasy extra" in late March - this year's just came out. That is far more helpful and fun. And oh yeah, only $1.75.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Thanks, spice. I'll grab it tomorrow. I like the capsule comments with their rankings.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 279)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:See, I got confused last year like you are now. There is a Fantasy Guide they do at the same time as the other big mags that costs like $5. That is the worst guide in the history of mankind.

But then they still do their "fantasy extra" in late March - this year's just came out. That is far more helpful and fun. And oh yeah, only $1.75.

I use that "rag" as well. It's usually pretty good, and at least it's up to date. Nice resource to take to the draft with ya. Need to take that 30 mile trip into town, from here in hicksville and pick it up.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 am

Unfortunately this thing is useless because its so poorly done. First off its all 4x4 which almost nobody plays anymore. Secondly his projections are just terrible. Third his ranking system is bad given the projections and finally while the LABR draft results are fun to read, the author probably has the worst team (especially in the NL), which sort of kills his credibilitiy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mrider » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:16 am

So this year Ender you don't think its worth picking up. I find it really hard to find a good magazine to help now a days random people just right a bunch of bul and make the cover look nice and people buy the magazine. This year I didn't buy a magazine though, everyone now uses the same magazine in my league so its all useless information because pretty much people have the same rankings. So I went solo and I like my team pre season I will see how it pans out in September though.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:27 am

Well its only $1.75 so its hard to go completely wrong with it, but unless you are really interested in the LABR draft results or you are in a 4x4 league I wouldn't bother.

To give some examples of Hunt's projections that seem out of line to me...

Abreu 33 HR
Beltran 3rd most valuable NL hitter
Holliday 5th most valuable NL hitter (higher than Derrek Lee)
Brandon Webb 3rd most valuable NL starter (I like the guy but um, no thanks)
Crawford more valuable than Arod
Suzuki more valuable than Vlad or Teix
Ortiz 9th best hitter in AL only league.
Beltre as 2nd best 3B in AL.

I don't know, to me someone who projects things like this isn't worth reading. Maybe its because I don't play 4x4 AL only leagues so I'm missing something... but seems like his rankings are way too specialized to bother buying unless you happen to play an AL or NL only 4x4 league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mrider » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:30 am

No my Grandpa could make better projections then those. Those look pretty bad. I wil stick with the cafe and research on the net for fantasy help.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 am

Ender wrote:Unfortunately this thing is useless because its so poorly done. First off its all 4x4 which almost nobody plays anymore. Secondly his projections are just terrible. Third his ranking system is bad given the projections and finally while the LABR draft results are fun to read, the author probably has the worst team (especially in the NL), which sort of kills his credibilitiy.

My money league is 4x4 so this is one of the few rags that touch that subject. ;-D
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers