Why I don't like the Willy Mo Pena Deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Why I don't like the Willy Mo Pena Deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:16 am

Two things... I'm a Cubs fan, not a Reds fan, but I agree that this trade wasn't what the Reds needed. The Reds' pitching has been the laughing stock of the National League for years. Elmer Dessens was the ace of the staff a couple years ago, for Christ sake... And Aaron Harang this year. Harang might be a fine pitcher, sure, and Bronson Arroyo has looked very good (and I don't just mean that he stymied the Cubs... my team tends to have off days against the worst pitchers from time to time... Arroyo actually had great movement on all of his pitches, and I was genuinely confused by his movement, location, and speed. If I had been batting, even assuming I was a major-league hitter like D Lee... damn, that woulda been tough to make contact with), but they are not the future great pitching staff that a team needs to succeed. And I don't buy the rhetoric that a team needs elite pitching and mediocre hitting to succeed, but a team definitely needs to be above average in both categories and *great* in one of them in order to have a shot at competing.

Trading Wily Mo for Arroyo raises your pitching from pathetic to below average, and lowers your hitting from GREAT to above average... I don't see the value in this. Bronson Arroyo has looked great, but he's not a guy to build your pitching staff around. Throughout his career, he has proved to be a #4 pitcher. He has looked like a #2 or #3 pitcher so far this year. But he's not a stud, he's not an ace, and he's not 3 hot prospects. So WTF?

Anyway, that's my take on it.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Cincinnati Reds