Finding good pitchers on waivers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Finding good pitchers on waivers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:24 pm

garf112 wrote:I look at a combination of things.

k/9, bb/9, and instead of just looking at whip, I also look at h/9, to make sure that it isn't a lot of unluckiness leading to a higher whip.

I am confused. What do you gain by looking at h/9 instead of whip? Obviously, I know the definition of the two but I would like to know how it is more effective in filtering out the luck that is involved with whip? Thanks in advance.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:03 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:

k/9, bb/9, and instead of just looking at whip, I also look at h/9, to make sure that it isn't a lot of unluckiness leading to a higher whip.

I am confused. What do you gain by looking at h/9 instead of whip? Obviously, I know the definition of the two but I would like to know how it is more effective in filtering out the luck that is involved with whip? Thanks in advance.

BAA isn't helpful. You have to look at hit rate % to see if there was good or bad luck.

I prefer k/9, k/bb, hr/9.

K pitchers in general have the lowest eras, followed by GB pitchers, with FB pitchers last.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby garf112 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 am

mikekim2121 wrote:

whip includes walks, something that can be controlled by the pitcher. h/9 can be luck dependent. I should have been more precise and said that I look at Batting Average On Balls In Play. At about .300, there is little to no luck involved. Above and the pitcher is unlucky, below, the pitcher is lucky.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers