Do you like your job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Do you like your job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mrider » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:26 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Anyway, I love my job. I'm a talk radio producer. The pay isn't very good, but I enjoy going into work each day. I'd rather make what I do now and enjoy work than make six figures and hate getting out of bed in the morning.

What type of radio if you don't mind me asking?

The network I work for is mainly political talk (The Michael Reagan Show, The G. Gordon Liddy Show, Battleline, and others), but our weekend programming is pretty diverse. Everything from gardening and home improvement programs to Car & Driver Radio and a baseball talk show called Talkin' Baseball which is the only nationally syndicated year-round baseball-only talk show in the country.

Thats what I want to do when I am older work for a Radio station hopefully a sports one. What programs did you do in university and how did you get the job?
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:29 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Man - Old Navy clothes suck! No offense guys, but you get what you pay for. I used to like their stuff a lot, but now it all falls apart after only a couple months :-t

I build/fix/troubleshoot medical equipment (a machine that pumps the heart during surgery if your heart is too tired to work on it's own). Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. But it pays the mortgage, and at least I'm using my education.

And I also dispense fantasy advice but I don't get paid for that B-)

I like old navy shirts and boxers, they're cheap, comfortable, and they last a long time.

I actually bought a shirt at Old navy, took it home, and immediately shrunk it in the wash. I took it back to the store, and the girl gave me a new one for free- I didn't even have a receipt! 8-o

What Old Navy do you go to Sim?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm

Hey Phatty, do you work at the one at like 20th and Camelback? We go to that shopping center for lunch all the time (Fuddrucker's or Kokopelli usually).

Did you quit your concession gig at the BOB?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Hey Phatty, do you work at the one at like 20th and Camelback? We go to that shopping center for lunch all the time (Fuddrucker's or Kokopelli usually).

Did you quit your concession gig at the BOB?

Yeah, it was only like 3 weekends until the baseball season and I needed something more consistent...Plus people told me you make crap at the baseball games because you can't go into the stands during the action, so you have to wait between innings.

I do work at that Old Navy. I know where the Kokopelli is, but not the Fuddrucker's. I hardly do anything in there except go to work and leave. I've been to the Best Buy and Frys grocery store. The NYPD pizza place brings us in a free pizza occasionaly.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:26 pm

mrider wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Anyway, I love my job. I'm a talk radio producer. The pay isn't very good, but I enjoy going into work each day. I'd rather make what I do now and enjoy work than make six figures and hate getting out of bed in the morning.

What type of radio if you don't mind me asking?

The network I work for is mainly political talk (The Michael Reagan Show, The G. Gordon Liddy Show, Battleline, and others), but our weekend programming is pretty diverse. Everything from gardening and home improvement programs to Car & Driver Radio and a baseball talk show called Talkin' Baseball which is the only nationally syndicated year-round baseball-only talk show in the country.

Thats what I want to do when I am older work for a Radio station hopefully a sports one. What programs did you do in university and how did you get the job?

Just to be clear, I don't work for a radio station, I work for a radio network. The two are quite different (except for large stations in major markets...they often operate much like a network). Anyway, my degree is in communications with an emphasis in radio broadcasting. But a degree will not get you hired--although it is often necessary to get your foot in the door. What will get you a job is experience and connections. Use your time in college (and high school) to find part time jobs, internships, etc. to get as much experience with different aspects of radio as possible and to make as many connections as possible. I know it's cliche, but it's true: Who you know matters as much as what you know when it comes to actually looking for work.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby emb0lus » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Looks like most of you are in college/high school looking for jobs so back then i did not realize how much i liked my job since there was no real pressure on me and no family to support

Junior/senior in H.S. - worked at Baskin Robbins in the mall... great job, good hours, bad pay, all the free ice cream i could eat and when it was slow there was always people watching..

College - waiter- liked it most of the time, not really that stressful once you get the hang of things, money was good if it was busy, had to work nights all the time to get the dinner crowd

Did not have any more jobs after college until now so that is the extent of my work to this point (I wouldn't consider the work i did in prison to be a real job)

j/k about prison :-b
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:46 pm

Phatferd wrote:I do work at that Old Navy. I know where the Kokopelli is, but not the Fuddrucker's. I hardly do anything in there except go to work and leave. I've been to the Best Buy and Frys grocery store. The NYPD pizza place brings us in a free pizza occasionaly.

Fudd's is on the other side of Fry's next to Highland (the street on the south side of the parking lot). Mmmmmm, NYPD pizza, that stuff is pretty good. I work a mile and a half away from you Phatty, so if you start beating me in our league I can roll on down to Old Navy and break your kneecaps. }:-)

:-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:04 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I do work at that Old Navy. I know where the Kokopelli is, but not the Fuddrucker's. I hardly do anything in there except go to work and leave. I've been to the Best Buy and Frys grocery store. The NYPD pizza place brings us in a free pizza occasionaly.

Fudd's is on the other side of Fry's next to Highland (the street on the south side of the parking lot). Mmmmmm, NYPD pizza, that stuff is pretty good. I work a mile and a half away from you Phatty, so if you start beating me in our league I can roll on down to Old Navy and break your kneecaps. }:-)

:-b

Ahhh I have a nametag...

I actually saw Fudds about 20 minutes ago. I went to the bank (Washington Mutual) 3 doors down and saw it.

I actually live off Highland just past 16th St. I'm about 2 blocks past 16th and to the right, if you're coming down Highland and go East past 16th.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:24 pm

Mine's a stay at home dad.

Ain't no greater gig in the world ;-D

(Except the dud changes. :-b )

But, most the time allows for a good bit of cafe time, so I suppose it's a good tradeoff.
SwiperNoSwiping
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Best Buy discount WAS good ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk