Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:22 pm

:-t
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannyolbb » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 pm

JTWood wrote:I am happy as a lark to see a true, Christian "love even our enemies" message being shown to the world.

I am very discouraged, though, to see that these same people are using their platform to promote their anti-war propoganda when Jesus said, "When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom."

Maybe we're interpreting that verse differently, but I'm reading it to say "When you rear about wars, don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world. I'll let you know when that'll be."

War shouldn't concern Christians because they've got other things on their mind. "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself." Plus, it's a nasty, horrible business.

Of course, Paul says this in Romans 3: "Their feet are swift to shed blood; destruction and misery are in their ways; and the way of peace they have not known"

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like the New Testament is full of "anti-war propaganda."

"My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here" (John 18:36).
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 pm

dannyolbb wrote:Maybe we're interpreting that verse differently, but I'm reading it to say "When you rear about wars, don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world. I'll let you know when that'll be."

I do believe we are interpreting it differently. I read it to say that wars will happen and not to worry because they are just another move to put the pieces in place for the second coming. Every other verse in that passage focuses on the second coming, so I take it in context to be of the same subject matter.

dannyolbb wrote:War shouldn't concern Christians because they've got other things on their mind.

Exactly, so these missionaries should not be commenting on the war, because, as you put it, they shouldn't be concerned.

dannyolbb wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like the New Testament is full of "anti-war propaganda."

I wouldn't say anti-war so much as I would say anti-involvment. There is a very consistent them throughout the Jesus' preachings where he stayed away from commentary regarding governments, and war is an occupation upon which governments most certainly hold a monopoly.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:10 pm

:-X :-X :-X
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:05 am

slomo007 wrote:Can we hand them back?

:-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 pm

knapplc wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Can we hand them back?

:-D

Better yet i would send them in with Guns to rescue the next kidnapped journelist, peace keeper etc.... Dont waste our troops on this trash
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 pm

They wouldn't be free without those soldiers and we wouldn't be free without millions of others...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk