R Howard... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

R Howard...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:30 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:If the guys in your league are going to jump on him that early, I'd let them. I can't see myself taking Howard in the top 50 picks, even in a keeper. I did jump early and take him 57th overall in one draft, and I've been kicking myself for it since then.

He just went 54th in my current draft, and i think he is a steal there. Good pick Mad, don't kick yourself. He had 3 huge years in the minors. He would have been up sooner, had Thome not been in his way. I think he has a good shot at 40 hrs 120 rbis, 35 110 at worst.

Just bumping an old thread for discussion!!!!

Now that Howard's got 47 dingers and 122 RBI, I'll agree with you Hootie that I got a steal. :-D Honestly didn't expect him to go this crazy, but I'm very happy now for what I thought was a "reach" pick. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:51 pm

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Yoda wrote:This was a better debate.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 10&start=0

You're right. That thread was a better debate. ;-D

I saw Howard hit another today, and thought about that 5th round pick I used on him, and remembered Hootie mentioning he thought it was a "steal". While I never considered it a steal back when this discussion was fresh, I did feel a little better about it at the time.

Now I think it's safe to say that pick was a steal, so I bumped it simply to let Hootie know he was right (as he usually is ;-D ). :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:This was a better debate.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 10&start=0

You're right. That thread was a better debate. ;-D

I saw Howard hit another today, and thought about that 5th round pick I used on him, and remembered Hootie mentioning he thought it was a "steal". While I never considered it a steal back when this discussion was fresh, I did feel a little better about it at the time.

Now I think it's safe to say that pick was a steal, so I bumped it simply to let Hootie know he was right (as he usually is ;-D ). :-D

The original debate was from BP's PECOTA projections and well before Howard even swung a bat in ST.

Anyway, Howard has tremendous "natural" power. He's been hitting like this for a few years now. I don't see any good reasons to see him stopping any time soon. Maybe an injury but that's about it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:32 pm

Well, I started this original one. I picked Howard where I said I would and it paid off.

I paid a lot of attention to Spring Training this season, and Thome and Howard jumped out as potentially being huge...I made moves on both because of it. Despite the "ST doesn't matter" mantra, I'll be paying a bunch of attention next season too.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:00 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Well, I started this original one. I picked Howard where I said I would and it paid off.

I paid a lot of attention to Spring Training this season, and Thome and Howard jumped out as potentially being huge...I made moves on both because of it. Despite the "ST doesn't matter" mantra, I'll be paying a bunch of attention next season too.

Thome's spring training was more important than Howard's. It showed Thome was hitting the ball hard and looking good. What sold me on Howard the most was his PECOTA projections, not his spring training. His spring training actually scared me a little as he seemed to be doing too well, and would fall back a bit when the season started. Turns out he didn't, but I was a little worried.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers