R Howard... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

R Howard...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Still a lot of controversy ... but I'm trying to put this talk into practical use.

Here's a query:

What 1B's would you draft over him, given availability, and what 1B's would you pass up for him, given availability.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:06 pm

I recall him crushing the ball last year too.....in the bigs
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Mberg121 wrote:Hybrid, I think you're missing my point. I didn't get involved in this thread just to come in and talk up howard.

Let's just put the stats aside. Pretend that he's hitting .250 with 3 home runs this spring. Have you WATCHED him play more than a handful of times? I watched as many phillies games as possible last year, and what i'm saying is that having watched this guy play (throwing the stats out the window) he's a legit talent and will be terrific player for many years to come.
I also truly believe that 40 home runs is not out of reach for him whatsoever this year. Once he gets a little more experience hitting lefties, I also believe he can be a consistant .300 hitter.
Just watch the guy play before you downplay his statistics.

Well I never pointed you out, overall though the guy is just hyped up at an amazing rate.

Anyways yes I have watched him, I've seen him quite a bit and also in the minors. Watching him play it's easy to get sidetracked by his pure power as I'm sure many do. Overall, I judge players by seeing them and stats, not solely on one or the other if I can help it. Does he have 40 HR power? Possibly but there are quite a few that do and never reach it due to other factors. Stats also play a good amount into things so you really can't just throw them out.

How much more experience does he need against lefties? He had 3 years of college against them and after that 4 years of minor league ball. I'm not saying he can't improve, but if he was going to be good against them I think he would of showed some more promise by now. For Howard to hit .300 quite a few things would have to occur, which I don't see happening.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Blade » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 pm

hybrid wrote:
Mberg121 wrote:Hybrid, I think you're missing my point. I didn't get involved in this thread just to come in and talk up howard.

Let's just put the stats aside. Pretend that he's hitting .250 with 3 home runs this spring. Have you WATCHED him play more than a handful of times? I watched as many phillies games as possible last year, and what i'm saying is that having watched this guy play (throwing the stats out the window) he's a legit talent and will be terrific player for many years to come.
I also truly believe that 40 home runs is not out of reach for him whatsoever this year. Once he gets a little more experience hitting lefties, I also believe he can be a consistant .300 hitter.

Well I never pointed you out, overall though the guy is just hyped up at an amazing rate.

Anyways yes I have watched him, I've seen him quite a bit and also in the minors. Watching him play it's easy to get sidetracked by his pure power as I'm sure many do. Overall, I judge players by seeing them and stats, not solely on one or the other if I can help it. Does he have 40 HR power? Possibly but there are quite a few that do and never reach it due to other factors. Stats also play a good amount into things so you really can't just throw them out.

How much more experience does he need against lefties? He had 3 years of college against them and after that 4 years of minor league ball. I'm not saying he can't improve, but if he was going to be good against them I think he would of showed some more promise by now. For Howard to hit .300 quite a few things would have to occur, which I don't see happening.

I agree he is not batting .300 this season, more like .280 at best. But the 40 HR's and over 100 RBI's is problably going to happen barring an injury. If you draft Howard after the 5th round, you got a steal.
Blade
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:28 pm

mrider wrote:That list is pretty impressive I am pretty happy I have him in 2 out of 3 leagues I've drafted so far I'm primed for him to be a beast this year.

Impressive? There's not a #3 guy in there (Verlander some day). Don't put much into spring. Candy Maldonado and Russell Branyan have won spring hr crowns. I like Howard, but i try to ignore spring stats.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:28 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Let me get this straight (I find the following helpful as I have a big draft Saturday): you're at 4th, 5th, pick. (10 team h2h) ...

Looking at 1B. Konerko's available. Howards available.

--> Konerko over howard?

Are you talking about 1st round in a 10-team mixed league? Neither are Top 10 picks. I only said he's a Top 32 player in a keeper format, IMO.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:29 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Let me get this straight (I find the following helpful as I have a big draft Saturday): you're at 4th, 5th, pick. (10 team h2h) ...

Looking at 1B. Konerko's available. Howards available.

--> Konerko over howard?

Are you talking about 1st round in a 10-team mixed league? Neither are Top 10 picks. I only said he's a Top 32 player in a keeper format, IMO.

Apologies, I meant 4th, 5th round. I've got better things to do with a first round pick ;-)
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Re: R Howard...

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Just for some quick fun I wanted to see how the pitchers are doing that he hit HR's off of. About the only guys you can say that are pitching well are Verlander and Sosa (who looked good in the WBC). I think it gives people a better idea how little people should take ST stats into account.

RYAN HOWARD (1) OFF JORGE DEPAULA IN THE 3RD
2IP 3H 3ER 0BB 3K (not even sure what to call him)

RYAN HOWARD (2) OFF RON VILLONE IN THE 4TH
10IP 12H 6ER 3BB 5K

RYAN HOWARD (3) OFF JASON HAMMEL IN THE 2ND
9IP 7H 6ER 4BB 7K (AAA pitcher)

RYAN HOWARD (4) OFF DAVID RISKE IN THE 6TH
9 1/3IP 15H 12ER 4BB 2K

RYAN HOWARD (5) OFF BRANDON BACKE IN THE 2ND
RYAN HOWARD (6) OFF BRANDON BACKE IN THE 4TH
17 1/3IP 19H 15ER 9BB 9K (allowed 7 HR's so far)

RYAN HOWARD (7) OFF JUSTIN VERLANDER IN THE 2ND
13 2/3IP 12H 4ER 5BB 12K (trying to make the jump from AA)

RYAN HOWARD (8) OFF BOOF BONSER IN THE 2ND
8IP 15H 8ER 3BB 4K AAA pitcher

RYAN HOWARD (9) OFF JORGE SOSA IN THE 6TH
5IP 7H 4ER 0BB 5K

RYAN HOWARD (10) OFF MARK WOODYARD IN THE 7TH
10 1/3IP 19H 10ER 7BB 8K (AAA pitcher)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Mberg121 wrote:Hybrid, I

I watched Rob Schnieder hit two balls against SF pitching when I was out there in SPring Training, he looked pretty snazzy. While Bonds in his little dress didnt.

Guess that means I should draft schnieder over bonds :)

I try not to really to much on watching a person in games; they may look stellar, but if their numbers never back anything up, o well, theyre just pretty.

That aside, I have Howard as a top 10 guy, perhaps top 6 at 1b, but thats about it.
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: R Howard...

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:49 pm

hybrid wrote:Just for some quick fun I wanted to see how the pitchers are doing that he hit HR's off of. About the only guys you can say that are pitching well are Verlander and Sosa (who looked good in the WBC). I think it gives people a better idea how little people should take ST stats into account.

RYAN HOWARD (1) OFF JORGE DEPAULA IN THE 3RD
2IP 3H 3ER 0BB 3K (not even sure what to call him)

RYAN HOWARD (2) OFF RON VILLONE IN THE 4TH
10IP 12H 6ER 3BB 5K

RYAN HOWARD (3) OFF JASON HAMMEL IN THE 2ND
9IP 7H 6ER 4BB 7K (AAA pitcher)

RYAN HOWARD (4) OFF DAVID RISKE IN THE 6TH
9 1/3IP 15H 12ER 4BB 2K

RYAN HOWARD (5) OFF BRANDON BACKE IN THE 2ND
RYAN HOWARD (6) OFF BRANDON BACKE IN THE 4TH
17 1/3IP 19H 15ER 9BB 9K (allowed 7 HR's so far)

RYAN HOWARD (7) OFF JUSTIN VERLANDER IN THE 2ND
13 2/3IP 12H 4ER 5BB 12K (trying to make the jump from AA)

RYAN HOWARD (8) OFF BOOF BONSER IN THE 2ND
8IP 15H 8ER 3BB 4K AAA pitcher

RYAN HOWARD (9) OFF JORGE SOSA IN THE 6TH
5IP 7H 4ER 0BB 5K

RYAN HOWARD (10) OFF MARK WOODYARD IN THE 7TH
10 1/3IP 19H 10ER 7BB 8K (AAA pitcher)

good job...this is what makes the cafe great...

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers