Corey Patterson out for year (ESPN Radio) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Patterson out for year (ESPN Radio)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:08 pm

Man jdh, you've really got it out for Willis, don't you? lol

Did you miss the boat on him or something in your league? I mean 8-1, 2.13 is pretty damn good. Add to that he pitches with pizazz and enthusiasm and would be a ratings boon for MLB, I think he should be there. But hey, as long as we can agree to disagree peacefully that's all that matters right!
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:17 pm

Yes, he has been good, but only over a stretch of 8 or 9 starts has he been that dominant. There are many pitchers in the game that can run off a string of starts like that (Miller second half last year, Mussina at the beginning of this year come to mind.). He has not had to pitch a full half season up in the majors and has not had to face any quality lineup a second time through, which the pitchers that pitched the entire season have had to do.

Here are the numbers:

Nomo: 9-8 (due to crappy run support), 2.71 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 108 Ks
Batista: 6-3, 2.80 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 74 Ks
Willis: 8-1, 2.13 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 68 Ks

Bottom line is both Nomo and Batista have better numbers, especially considering they have had to go through lineups second and third times. If Brown or someone else can't pitch, both are far more deserving than Willis.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willieroe » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:23 pm

Now, we all know how to start a NEW TOPIC, don't we? Thanks. ;-D
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brokentusks9 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:27 pm

How about:

Ben Sheets - 7 Wins for the Brewers
Jake Peavy - 8 Wins for the Padres
Brandon Webb - 1 more start than Willis; better ERA and WHIP

But none of these guys have their own fan club complaining about getting snubbed...

lol -- I remember a while back someone dropped Colon for Willis and you all threw a hissy fit and told him he was stupid.
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DanteNoX » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:38 pm

WHAT? How did you draw from the numbers you posted that Nomo and Batista had better numbers than Willis? Did I miss something? Aren't LOWER ERA/WHIP a good thing? Bottom line, Batista's numbers are worse than Willis's, hands down. Nomo you can make an argument for, but you gotta have a lot better than .500 to make the all-star game.
Yankees for life
DanteNoX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:43 pm

The issue is that all of these other pitchers have had 7 or 8 more starts than Willis, which should be a deciding factor. Willis has only had 11 starts, and his first 2 or 3 starts were pretty mediocre, so he is basically on an 8 start run which has skewed his overall numbers. An 8 start hot streak, especially by an unproven rookie does not deserve being vaulted into an all star position over other pitchers who are more deserving and have had to pitch the entire season, thus giving more chances for their ERA/WHIP to rise.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronxBomber9201 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:57 pm

Brandon Webb fan club starting right now.....by years end he will be considered the best young pitcher in the game....not including the established young pitchers such as Prior, Zito etc ....you know what I mean.
BronxBomber9201
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby guest » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:24 pm

I would take Webb over Willis any day. But that's a story for another topic ...

On this, ouch. You hate to be happy about a catastrophic injury, but I can't help seeing the silver linings -- Patterson was the biggest offensive contributor on one of the best teams in the NL Central (where my Pirates are making a run), and I don't own Patterson in any fantasy league. Still, it really sucks for the Cubs, and to a lesser extent for Cubs pitchers who will have a little less run support. Who'll bat in his spot? Lenny Harris?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:28 pm

TSN is reporting that Tom Goodwin is now their starting CF. He might be an acceptable fantasy pickup for his steals if he is actually starting full time.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Doc21 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:34 pm

so what do those of us that have patterson on our roster do?! dilemma, dilemma.
Doc21
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers