Victor Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Victor Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Victor Martinez

Postby Warpigs » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:22 pm

What is the prognosis on Victor Martinez. The guy is starting now on a regular basis in the bigs and will also be playing some first base. I have been suffering through an inconsistent Ramon Hernandez at catcher waiting for Piazza to get off the pine. Should I dump Hernandez for the hyped Martinez, or will he fizzle and not live up to the billing?
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

vic

Postby red » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:53 pm

I have Vic in a keeper league, and I think he will be an excellent hitter in the majors, with position eligibility to boot. He dominated AAA, dominated every level for 2 years straight, no question about his abilility. That said, I'm starting Toby Hall this week over him-- and I will continue to start Hall until Vic gets comfortable up in the bigs-- which I anticipate will be about a month from now. But I defintitely believe in him.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:54 pm

While nobody can tell exactly what Victor will do, he's certainly worth taking a chance on. He has excelled at every level, just a matter of time I would say. It really depends on your league, but I'm guessing dropping Hernandez wouldn't hurt you much. Martinez may not immediately do much better, but his upside is definitely higher.

Catcher's not really a position I place alot of value on anyway, so to me it seems worth the gamble.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers