Custom Fantasy SportsTicker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Custom Fantasy SportsTicker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would you use a custom fantasy sportsticker?

I'd love it!
38%
I may use it.
38%
I have no interest in this.
23%

Total votes : 13

Postby Thread7 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:59 pm

I am currently developing a new product that displays your fantasy player information at the bottom of your TV screen. Basically, it is a personalized sports ticker. You hook up a box and cable from your computer to TV. Then, no matter what channel you are watching, it will periodically display your fantasy player's ABs, hits, runs, RBI's, etc.

Before I spend a lot of time making this device, I'd like to know if it is something you would use. I am building it because I would to track my own players, but am unsure if others feel the same way.
Thread7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:32 pm

its a good idea, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay for something like that.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:35 pm

i'd buy one depending upon the cost.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CJT » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:57 pm

Why spend money on something you can get for free on the internet?
CJT

Friendliness: %

Postby beef » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:46 pm

Sounds like Interactive TV to me. I'd scrap the computer to TV idea and look into the I-TV which is basically enabling your cable box/tv to become interactive, like a computer. Companies like Liberate, Liberty Digital, OpenTV, etc. are into making the middleware that will do things like you're talking about. You may want to propose your idea to them. Supposedly, all cable companies will be using I-TV and it will be a government enforced standard within the next 3-5 years.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Thread7 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:03 pm

After reading the replies, I have one question and two comments.
1. Don't most fantasy fans already have a league management system that gives them live stats on their PC? I could much more easily develop a ticker or custom scoring box for your PC but just thought that has already been done. If not, I'll certainly create that.

2. The main advantage I think to having this on TV is that you aren't constantly getting up from your comfy living rooom armchair to check the scores on your PC. During Wednesday Night Baseball I find myself running to the PC constantly
the PC on every commercial just to see how my other players are doing. I end up missing half the game. Why not sit back and watch your player stats scroll by during the commercial.

3. In response to "Beef" who commented on Interactive TV. I have thought about this but (correct me if I am wrong) those systems require user input to see the information you want. So I would have to scroll though 15 box scores telling it that I want to see Barry Bonds and Roberto Alomar's stats -> each time I checked.

I have this on my Direct TV system and it is nice because I can check the weather. But it can't even remember that I live in Lansing, Michigan. I have to scroll through a bunch of cities each time I check! Once again, I end up missing half the game I am supposed to be watching.

Thanks.
Thread7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mrmarley » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:24 pm

Interesting idea...I also miss a lot of the games I watch cuz I'm too curious about the stats of other players...it's prolly too early in development, but do you have an idea of how much the charges would be as far as costs?
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Custom Fantasy SportsTicker

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:57 pm

Thread7 wrote:3. In response to "Beef" who commented on Interactive TV. I have thought about this but (correct me if I am wrong) those systems require user input to see the information you want. So I would have to scroll though 15 box scores telling it that I want to see Barry Bonds and Roberto Alomar's stats -> each time I checked.

I have this on my Direct TV system and it is nice because I can check the weather. But it can't even remember that I live in Lansing, Michigan. I have to scroll through a bunch of cities each time I check! Once again, I end up missing half the game I am supposed to be watching.

Thanks.

I don't think most of the I-TV functionality is available every where yet, but it's supposed to be the standard soon. From the things I've read, you should be able to program your own custom settings into things. So basically, when you turn on your TV your cable box runs some mediumware which hooks up to your account at the cable company and it's providers. At that point you should be able to load a profile like you would do from a PC. Again, I don't know too many of the technical specifics, but it should be as powerful as a computer. I'd check out some of the companies I listed. If you're after the TV approach, I-TV would definitely be the way to go. You could have an entire fantasy package if you wanted.

Friendliness: %

Postby beef » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:09 pm

Sorry about that, forgot to login again.
beef
College Coach
College Coach

Custom Fantasy Ticker

Postby Thread7 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Beef.
You have me thinking that I may want to develop several products to fit different needs.
1. Fantasy Ticker for any TV (for those with satellite or broadcast)
2. Fantasy Ticker for cable that utilizes interactive TV (cable).
3. Fantasy Ticker for your PC. (Even though many league management systems already have this).
4. Audio system that announces the scores. I already have this for NFL football on my web site -
.http://www.TalkingScores.com

In response to MrMarley, the TV overlay device is $50. I would then just charge about $5 a month for the service.

Thanks.
Thread7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers