ryan freel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

ryan freel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ryan freel

Postby GoGoGodzilla » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 pm

is he going to be getting regular playing time? or is he just gonna platoon. i'm about to trade away figgins, with the thought of freel filling in 2b for him, but if he's not playing, i gotta pull this trade quick.

thanks
laxguy8947's sig.
Here's to Mrs.Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
GoGoGodzilla
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby checkers » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 am

He's a starter IMO.. but why trade Figgins if you can start him at 2B over Freel.. unless you get a really good player in return... you're downgrading your 2B...GL!
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dooz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:17 pm

checkers wrote:He's a starter IMO.. but why trade Figgins if you can start him at 2B over Freel.. unless you get a really good player in return... you're downgrading your 2B...GL!

i hope hes getting a really good player in return for figgins
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby wags6817 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Freel will be a all around player for the reds this year playing at 2b, 3b, and the outfield.
wags6817
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:18 am

I would expect about 400-450ab's from Freel. He'll play everywhere again but people expecting the trade of Wily Mo to make him an everyday of'er will be disappointed - the Reds brass seem to be fixated on Hatteburg at 1b moving Dunn back to the OF. They also are inexplicably enamored with Womack which means he'll be seeing quite a bit of 2b time. I definitely think they'll try to get Freel in a lot but may hold him out of starting to plug in later in games as a pinch hitter/runner/defensive replacement which should limit his ab's a bit.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 am

Cafe's been through this whole Freel question before ...

The primarly value of Freel to the Reds as currently constructed is that he is their best leadoff hitter. Hence, he should play quite often even though he does not have a 'regular' position.

He does get a steady diet of days off, and as a result can leave holes in your lineup if you draft him as a starter. But I found last summer he had nice value as a multi-position sub with steals/runs potential who won't beat up your average.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: ryan freel

Postby stikmata » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:14 am

GoGoGodzilla wrote:is he going to be getting regular playing time? or is he just gonna platoon. i'm about to trade away figgins, with the thought of freel filling in 2b for him, but if he's not playing, i gotta pull this trade quick.

thanks

i'm in the same situation trading Chone (P. Burell and C. Yong) for A. Rod (Vidro and B. Wagner)... i'm gonna try to move Vidro and Rolen as a pair for a good 2nd... but i see Freel and Lowell on the wire... from the responses in this thread so far, i think i'll go w/ Lowell over Freel if it comes to that
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby checkers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:15 pm

This news doesn't look good for Freel...

INF Tony Womack appears to have won the open second base job and will bat leadoff, meaning INF/OF Ryan Freel remains a swingman for five positions and INF Rich Aurilia will plug in at all four infield spots.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Management still likes Freel a lot - this doesn't change my projection of 400-450ab's. He'll probably play about 130-145 games but some of them will be as a late inning replacement (although many will be starting as well).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby checkers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Tony Womack hit a two-run homer to help the Reds beat the Pirates 6-2 on Thursday.

Womack is hitting .378/.425/.486, so he might be the favorite to start at second base on Opening Day. He's not someone we'll recommend -- he's a far lesser player than both Ryan Freel and Rich Aurilia -- but he'll have some fantasy value in the early going.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates