2006 Shortstop Forecast - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

2006 Shortstop Forecast

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

2006 Shortstop Forecast

Postby WebHamster » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:54 pm

This thread contains comments on Jamey Feuer's Article "2006 Shortstop Forecast", which was posted in the Cafe's Point of View section on March 21, 2006. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 773)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsportsfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:18 pm

im not exactly sure how you are putting reyes and jeter in front of tejada. your projected numbers for jeter are not as good as the projected numbers for tejada. Additionally, tejada's projected numbers are more of a low estimate; the projected numbers for jeter are a ceiling. tejada can also give more help if your league awards points for doubles or has a slugging percentage category.
Reyes is a more complex issue.obviously, tejada is a better player in "real life" than reyes. he is a team leader, he plays defense, and he is a much better hitter. however, Reyes does have excellent fantasy value because of his steals. however, i still feel tejada should be higher than reyes, especially since i believe his numbers will be closer to his 04' stats than his 05 stats.
jdsportsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:55 am

the atrocious pitching ultimately came back to bite Texas on its collectively muscular rump

Why I should "e-slap" you! :-[ Unfortunately, it's true though, so I won't. :-b

Tejada all the way down in 4th? Gutsy call there. We'll see how it pans out. I've got him at #2 behind Mike Young.

Nice writeup though! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby suppasonic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:17 am

Im not so sure I would have Eckstein so high, especially over someone like Peralta.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:29 am

Not bad. 2 things I disagree with.

1. I think Reyes is getting overrated this year. I'd take Tejada before him everytime.

2. Eckstein is no where near the 7th best fantasy SS.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Shortstop Prognostication

Postby jameeman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Things like 15-20 SBs, 120+ Runs, an average that should, at the least, be within 15 points of Tejada's, and the "lineup of Mass Destruction" that surround Jeter are why I slotted the Yankee ahead of the Oriole Shortstop.
Unless a 29 year old Brian Roberts, who is returning from a ghastly elbow injury that could easily impact both his confidence and physical ability at the plate, is able to replicate his unconscious and career-best '05, Mel' Mora rebounds and is more the player he was during 2004, and Javy Lopez also reclaims '04 form (that is, 25 HR po'), Miggy' won't have quite as much value as he had in season's past due not to a lack of skill, but to the suspect lineup around him.
That being said, if things break right... Tejada could easily reclaim the 2nd... or even top-spot at the position.

As a "Shortstop on the Rise," you'll notice that Peralta's projections are markedly better than those of Eck', Felipe Lopez, Croz', and Furcal. That's because I think Peralta's an exceptional young talent. Although he could eventually be bumped to 3rd base, until that happens he will stake his claim as an elite fantasy Shortstop. Since he enjoyed his "breakout" season last year ('03 and '04 were hardly notable as he played a total of 56 games between the 2 seasons), I listed him under the aforementioned heading to draw added notice. Given his own skills and supported by Cleveland's impressive cast of mashers, Peralta should vault up the Shortstop standings quite rapidly. While I did not make it clear, he should be pulled off the draft board after Rollins, and I'd probably take him over the Philly' Shorty'.
jameeman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Article Discussions