Computer Help (WMP) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer Help (WMP)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer Help (WMP)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:24 pm

I downloaded a video file and am trying to play it through Windows Media Player. While it's loading, it says it's trying to locate the codec server, then it says error finding codec.

Then when I press play, I get the audio of the file, but no video. What's wrong? I'm hoping some of you computer experts can help me out... :-o
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 3 run homer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:31 pm

I'm not a computer nerd but I would say it's probably the file. Try watching/downloading something else. If the same error occurs then yeah you might need to download a new WMP.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 501
Joined: 5 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Computer Help (WMP)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:00 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I downloaded a video file and am trying to play it through Windows Media Player. While it's loading, it says it's trying to locate the codec server, then it says error finding codec.

Then when I press play, I get the audio of the file, but no video. What's wrong? I'm hoping some of you computer experts can help me out... :-o


Download and install VLC Media player, you'll never need to worry about codecs again.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Sounds like you've got a .m2v file, which is an Mpeg2. Those come in two different files- the .m2v file itself, which is the video, and a .aiff file, which is the video. I recently learned from Cu that .m2v files are not compatible with Windows media player.

I say screw mpeg2 files. Is it important?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:18 pm

Download free codecs from like free codecs.com or whatever it is.

Do a google search or just type in codecs in firefox and it should take you there
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Kind of off topic, but am I the only one who thought "WMP" was Wily Mo Pena? :-o
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5385
Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 pm

Sounds like an .avi to me. You just need a codec for WMP to read the file, the file isn't corrupt or anything. Go to divx.com and download the codec and you'll be all set. ;-D
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Sounds like you've got a .m2v file, which is an Mpeg2. Those come in two different files- the .m2v file itself, which is the video, and a .aiff file, which is the video. I recently learned from Cu that .m2v files are not compatible with Windows media player.

I say screw mpeg2 files. Is it important?


$20 says it's porn. ;-) :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:42 pm

knapplc wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Sounds like you've got a .m2v file, which is an Mpeg2. Those come in two different files- the .m2v file itself, which is the video, and a .aiff file, which is the video. I recently learned from Cu that .m2v files are not compatible with Windows media player.

I say screw mpeg2 files. Is it important?


$20 says it's porn. ;-) :-D


Then the audio shouldn't be that important then. ;-)
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:46 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
knapplc wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Sounds like you've got a .m2v file, which is an Mpeg2. Those come in two different files- the .m2v file itself, which is the video, and a .aiff file, which is the video. I recently learned from Cu that .m2v files are not compatible with Windows media player.

I say screw mpeg2 files. Is it important?


$20 says it's porn. ;-) :-D


Then the audio shouldn't be that important then. ;-)

He's getting audio but no video. THAT's why there's a problem!
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact