Keep off the grass - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Keep off the grass

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:12 pm

3 run homer wrote:
Madison wrote:
Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Let's see, a 66 year old Navy veteran who's been harassed by the kid and the family for 5 years, shoots the kid for walking on his grass.....again. While that's going a bit far to say the least, I'm not going to sit here and say anything bad about the old guy. The kid knew better and/or the parents obviously didn't teach the kid an ounce of respect. Again, killing the kid was overboard, but we're not talking about a saint here either guys, so let's not hang the old man as the only one who did something wrong here. Yes, the old man was wrong to kill the kid, but the kid also repeatedly ignored and had zero respect for the old man, and his property. Both were in the wrong.

Dude, he killed a kid for walking on his grass. and the article never mentioned what type of harassment. What he may view as harassment others may view as normal behavior. Regardless, the kid is no longer breathing. The family lost a son. The wrong doing doing of the old man is in no way a comparison of any wrong doing of a 14 year old kid.

I don't believe Madison was justifying what the old man did, just stating that the victim wasn't an innocent little boy selling lemonade.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't believe Madison was justifying what the old man did, just stating that the victim wasn't an innocent little boy selling lemonade.

Yeah I know. But saying they were both wrong just seems a little bit off. I don't think those 2 wrongs are comparable at all. The kid was probably a dik, but to be killed because of that.
I don't think the old dude should be thrown under the bus for his action, I think he should have the bus thrown on top him. The big doubledecker english kind.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm

3 run homer wrote:
Madison wrote:
Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Let's see, a 66 year old Navy veteran who's been harassed by the kid and the family for 5 years, shoots the kid for walking on his grass.....again. While that's going a bit far to say the least, I'm not going to sit here and say anything bad about the old guy. The kid knew better and/or the parents obviously didn't teach the kid an ounce of respect. Again, killing the kid was overboard, but we're not talking about a saint here either guys, so let's not hang the old man as the only one who did something wrong here. Yes, the old man was wrong to kill the kid, but the kid also repeatedly ignored and had zero respect for the old man, and his property. Both were in the wrong.

Dude, he killed a kid for walking on his grass. and the article never mentioned what type of harassment. What he may view as harassment others may view as normal behavior. Regardless, the kid is no longer breathing. The family lost a son. The wrong doing doing of the old man is in no way a comparison of any wrong doing of a 14 year old kid.

I never said both wrongs were equal. What I said was that the kid was no saint. He was 15 (not 14), so he should have had some sort of common sense and idea as to what respect is, by that age. Obviously he didn't, and paid the ultimate price. I think even at 15 someone could have taught him right from wrong, without killing him, so it is an unfortunate situation.

However, everyone was jumping all over the old man in this thread, and not one person pointed out that the kid was totally in the wrong as well, so it had to be said. Had I been that kid, and knowingly walked across a man's yard who it would upset, my father would have absolutely worn my butt out with one of his many belts, even at 15 years old.

Personally, and I'll probably get flamed big time for this, but I blame the kid's parents. Had the parents taught the kid an ounce of respect, he never would have walked on the old man's lawn, and would not be dead as a result. The old man is wrong for going too far and killing the kid, but everyone mentioned (the old man, the kid, the kid's parents) holds a piece of the responsibility for this unfortunate situation.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Madison wrote:
3 run homer wrote:
Madison wrote:

I never said both wrongs were equal. What I said was that the kid was no saint. He was 15 (not 14), so he should have had some sort of common sense and idea as to what respect is, by that age. Obviously he didn't, and paid the ultimate price. I think even at 15 someone could have taught him right from wrong, without killing him, so it is an unfortunate situation.

However, everyone was jumping all over the old man in this thread, and not one person pointed out that the kid was totally in the wrong as well, so it had to be said. Had I been that kid, and knowingly walked across a man's yard who it would upset, my father would have absolutely worn my butt out with one of his many belts, even at 15 years old.

Personally, and I'll probably get flamed big time for this, but I blame the kid's parents. Had the parents taught the kid an ounce of respect, he never would have walked on the old man's lawn, and would not be dead as a result. The old man is wrong for going too far and killing the kid, but everyone mentioned (the old man, the kid, the kid's parents) holds a piece of the responsibility for this unfortunate situation.

Well Mads, obviously we are sitting on opposite sides of the fence, And I do see what you're saying. Though your spin on who the blame falls on is whacked. A 66 year old man who's been in the military and should know what deadly force is and when to use it and who is a man of years of experience should never let a whipper snapper drive him to cold blooded MURDER! call the cops get a restraining order, file a trespassing report, file domestic disturbance claims against the "harassing" family. Hell beat the crap out of the kid. I will give the old dude props, if you're gonna pull a weapon you'd better be prepared to use it.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:21 pm

From the way it sounded it wasn't only the kid that was giving the old man problems. It was the kid's parents as well. I believe in the article I read yesterday it said that he had had a problem with that family as a whole.

You are correct, 3 RHR. The law should prosecute this man for what he did, no matter what the reason was. He killed a 15-year old kid.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:37 pm

3 run homer wrote:Well Mads, obviously we are sitting on opposite sides of the fence, And I do see what you're saying. Though your spin on who the blame falls on is whacked. A 66 year old man who's been in the military and should know what deadly force is and when to use it and who is a man of years of experience should never let a whipper snapper drive him to cold blooded MURDER! call the cops get a restraining order, file a trespassing report, file domestic disturbance claims against the "harassing" family. Hell beat the crap out of the kid. I will give the old dude props, if you're gonna pull a weapon you'd better be prepared to use it.

I never said the old man was right or anything. In fact, I've said he was wrong more times than I can count.

How's my spin whacked? Obviously the parents did not do their job of teaching their kid respect, correct? The kid is now dead due to not knowing how to show respect, correct? How do the parents not share in the responsibility for this? They failed to do their job. Being a parent is not having sex and having a baby pop out. Any two idiots (of opposite sex of course) can do that much. Actually teaching and raising a child is what makes a parent. Which in this case, both of the kid's parents failed to do their jobs, and therefore the kid is dead. Had the kid been taught respect, he never would have been on the grass, and never shot. Pretty simple.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:The law should prosecute this man for what he did, no matter what the reason was. He killed a 15-year old kid.

Believe it or not, I actually agree. The old guy should be prosecuted. He was wrong. That kind of force was not necessary. I'm sure he could have made his point by shooting the kid in the leg or something, if he just had to shoot him. There was no need to kill the kid, so throw the book at him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:00 pm

Madison wrote:In fact, I've said he was wrong more times than I can count.

I'm sure he could have made his point by shooting the kid in the leg or something, if he just had to shoot him.

I am literally laughing my ass off right now...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Madison wrote:In fact, I've said he was wrong more times than I can count.

I'm sure he could have made his point by shooting the kid in the leg or something, if he just had to shoot him.

I am literally laughing my ass off right now...

Yeah, I couldn't resist throwing that in there. When I first read the article, my first thought was:

"Should have shot him in the leg. That would have taught him without killing him, you big idiot."

I've been biting my tongue for awhile now, but I just couldn't continue to not post it. :-b :-b :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk